CHRISTIAN PETER

Thanks for the clarification I hadn't seen that before. Hopefully Jason stays clean and sober. His bio sounds like he has a good family.

>>>T_O_B

I think his drug use was largely self-medication-- heroin *ought* to be available as a powerful prescription pain killer because it is outrageously effective as such. He was in some pretty bad pain, from what I understand, and the docs just kept pumping him full of meds. Drug use is often self-medication for physical and psychological ailments and once that is treated, the drugs are easier to kick. Unfortunately, his job just caused more pain, he took drugs to play, then he couldn't play, and that had to be tough to deal with mentally. I mean, it's not like he started doing drugs for fun before he was injured.

All I'm saying is that substance abuse is often far more complex than people want to acknowledge.

Thanks for the clarification I hadn't seen that before. Hopefully Jason stays clean and sober. His bio sounds like he has a good family.

>>>T_O_B

I think his drug use was largely self-medication-- heroin *ought* to be available as a powerful prescription pain killer because it is outrageously effective as such. He was in some pretty bad pain, from what I understand, and the docs just kept pumping him full of meds. Drug use is often self-medication for physical and psychological ailments and once that is treated, the drugs are easier to kick. Unfortunately, his job just caused more pain, he took drugs to play, then he couldn't play, and that had to be tough to deal with mentally. I mean, it's not like he started doing drugs for fun before he was injured.

All I'm saying is that substance abuse is often far more complex than people want to acknowledge.

100% agreed.

It is all to easy to take just one more pill to feel better or play just another down and then down the hole you go.

I know Tom believed in forgiveness and football being a player's best shot in life. But there were definitely times he should've put the hammer-down, saving the program a beating while sending a clear message to other players about how things are done. Christian Peter falls in that category. I realize he eventually got his act together(and props for that) but the likes of him and LP scarred TO's best years as a coach and put a program that had been known for "doing it right" in a very negative light.

I know Tom believed in forgiveness and football being a player's best shot in life. But there were definitely times he should've put the hammer-down, saving the program a beating while sending a clear message to other players about how things are done. Christian Peter falls in that category. I realize he eventually got his act together(and props for that) but the likes of him and LP scarred TO's best years as a coach and put a program that had been known for "doing it right" in a very negative light.

Wasn't just those two. I also remember the infamous "locked the gun in the cabinet" Tyrone Williams incident as well! I do have to admit that Dr Tom did make some "quesitonable" decisions in the 90's!