Okay got this from ESPN, thought it was kind of weird but I have been following the live blogs on the winter meetings and this was the last update from Peter Gammons and he knows his stuff.

9:56 p.m., from Peter Gammons

• If Darin Erstad doesn't find a job that suits him, there is word that he could return to the University of Nebraska, his alma mater, and be an assistant coach for the football team. A punter in college, Erstad was part of the Cornhuskers' 1994 national championship squad and remains one of Tom Osborne's favorite players.

-ESPN

Okay got this from ESPN, thought it was kind of weird but I have been following the live blogs on the winter meetings and this was the last update from Peter Gammons and he knows his stuff.

• If Darin Erstad doesn't find a job that suits him, there is word that he could return to the University of Nebraska, his alma mater, and be an assistant coach for the football team. A punter in college, Erstad was part of the Cornhuskers' 1994 national championship squad and remains one of Tom Osborne's favorite players.

-ESPN

Interesting...guys a millionaire and its not like he needs the cash. The Osfather bringing another of the "family" back :)

Scott

-ESPN

Interesting...guys a millionaire and its not like he needs the cash. The Osfather bringing another of the "family" back :)

Scott

Would'nt he make a better asst coach for the baseball team?

Am I wrong, I thought he was a kicker not a punter. I seem to remember him putting kickoffs through the endzone every time.

I remember he was an amazing punter but just as talented a baseball player...pure hitter I think one year he had like a .420 avg or something crazy like that. He was probably one of the most talented athletes ever at Nebraska.

Scott

Better punter than a baseball player.

Even though I hate baseball, I could see what a dumb statement that was since he's been in the Major League for 13 years.

Yeah..Me too (Hate Baseball).

But I do remember him being drafted overall #1 by someone (Angles?) and thinking..Dang! I bet he'd be a great punter in the NFL...What a waste..But he did get me to look up his stats occasionally. And read stories about him.

Erstad was/is a helluva athlete. He plays all out. Not many players like him. He & his wife donated a cool mil $ a few years ago.

At this point though, sounds like names are just being thrown out there though. I think it has a lot to do with the previous disengaging from the athletic department, and former player's separation anxiety.