Is recruiting Bo Pelini's weakness??

Time will tell, but we all know what the 4 and 5 star recruits did for us these last four years.

Thank you! If we learned more than one thing the last four years it is that you need someone who can coach and teach... not just recruit.

Can BO coach and teach? YES

Don't ever get to cought up in the star rankings any longer. How many stars did Ganz have?

How many did Zac Taylor have? You need young men willing to learn and coaches able to teach and put them in the right place to succeed.

BO is much better in those regards than our last coach is

Time will tell, but we all know what the 4 and 5 star recruits did for us these last four years.

Thank you! If we learned more than one thing the last four years it is that you need someone who can coach and teach... not just recruit.

Can BO coach and teach? YES

Don't ever get to cought up in the star rankings any longer. How many stars did Ganz have?

How many did Zac Taylor have? You need young men willing to learn and coaches able to teach and put them in the right place to succeed.

BO is much better in those regards than our last coach is

We know Bo can coach and teach defense. Could he have developed Taylor into Big 12 Player of the Year? I don't know.

Callahan coached and developed Ganz and Taylor. If you use them as examples, you have to give BC credit for them.

Norvell and Watson developed Ganz and Taylor, they were the QB coaches, not Billy C. And we still have Watson.

As far as recruiting, it is a mixed bag. Sometimes the rankings do a decent job, other times they are beyond worthless. There is also the whole angle of do the players get the stars because of who they have offers from or how much potential they actually have? I will put money down USC's recruits get higher stars because USC wants them. Remember, most of the teams that have yearly rankings very high(LSU, Texas, USC) get nearly 75% of the classes to give a verbal as a junior, before any rankings are done.

Norvell and Watson developed Ganz and Taylor, they were the QB coaches, not Billy C. And we still have Watson.

As far as recruiting, it is a mixed bag. Sometimes the rankings do a decent job, other times they are beyond worthless. There is also the whole angle of do the players get the stars because of who they have offers from or how much potential they actually have? I will put money down USC's recruits get higher stars because USC wants them. Remember, most of the teams that have yearly rankings very high(LSU, Texas, USC) get nearly 75% of the classes to give a verbal as a junior, before any rankings are done.

This is a great post and I don't have to comment any further because this is exactly what I was going to say. :thumbs

Norvell and Watson developed Ganz and Taylor, they were the QB coaches, not Billy C.

Under Callahan's system with heavy input from him. You think BC sat idly while Norvell and Watson developed the QBs?

i dont think watson and/or norvell sat idly during the development of the QB's

Of course not.

Taylor was a great Husker QB. Ganz is looking to become one. Both of them developed here.

It's plain stupid, IMO, for Callahan haters to deny credit to him for developing these guys. It's also stupid for Callahan supporters to give him sole credit.

They developed while here under the WCO and the entire coaching staff that was here. It is what it is.

Absolutely correct. Callahan was a bad head coach but he did a good job with quarterbacks (along with the rest of the staff). That is why he was able to recruit quarterbacks well.

It remains to be seen how the new staff develops players on offense. No question we will be much better off on defense.

I'm neither a Callahan hater or supporter. 5-7 in year four is going to get you fired at Nebraska. BC neglected the defense and it cost him his job.

The main point I was responding to was the statement that Bo will develop players much better than the previous coach. It is safe to assume that on one side of the ball, but not necessarily the other.

I don't believe that recruiting is a weakness of this staff, as they were handed a complete mess. People continue to compare the situation to Michigan, but they didn't have 2 months with a lame duck staff sending mixed messages to recruits.

Pelini also has been honest about "the best players will play" and not making promises about giving these recruits starting jobs before they have one day of practice. This group of Callahan's recruits had likely been promised the world, and that change of pace may have forced them to think about other options.

I just think it's a bit premature to jump to the conclusion that this staff can't recruit when we knew we would lose recruits in the coaching transition and they haven't even signed their first class.

I don't believe that recruiting is a weakness of this staff, as they were handed a complete mess. People continue to compare the situation to Michigan, but they didn't have 2 months with a lame duck staff sending mixed messages to recruits.

Pelini also has been honest about "the best players will play" and not making promises about giving these recruits starting jobs before they have one day of practice. This group of Callahan's recruits had likely been promised the world, and that change of pace may have forced them to think about other options.

I just think it's a bit premature to jump to the conclusion that this staff can't recruit when we knew we would lose recruits in the coaching transition and they haven't even signed their first class.