Recruiting Article From Scout

See link for long article:

http://nebraska.scout.com/2/713004.html

Did not agree with everything in here but the blunt truth was that we have to remember these kids had relationships with the prior staff and basically since mid-October BC and company were uncertain and did not maintain contact with these recruits. It would be interesting to know how much recruiting Watson and Gilmore did from this point. So, per article other programs have been hammering us for months on end which really hurts. Bottomline is that our new staff has to make new relationships with new recruits to replace some of these kids and we are seeing that now and will have to see what that produces by signing day. The news that Tom Osborne is going to be permanent AD signals to me that we are showing there is going to be stability and to remind these kids we have someone of the utmost stature when it comes to college football who may be the greatest college football coach ever! A strong showing by Pelini's defense in the BCS championship will also do wonders for us in recruiting. I have to believe there are still strong recruits out there who now realize the opportunity there is to play at NU. While I know there were relationships with prior staff, I am shocked some of these defensive recruits have decommitted...I think it will come back to haunt them. Pelini's defense is constantly on TV and talked about in college football coverage nationally. These decommits will not get same exposure at CU, MU, or Oregon State. I think we are going to still get some top recruits and those recruits are going to have opportunity to play early. Keep the faith Husker fans!

GBR

I agree totally about the relationships. That's what I have been trying to tell several of the posters who don't seem to understand why the ship is sinking in recruting. Nothing could be done to stop this. And the close knit element makes perfect since why CU has taken four of the former commitments. Those four are close friends. Once some commitments start to jump ship, others will follow. Because you have a bunch of commitments who have gotten to know each other, of course you are going to have a dominoes effect. When things are going good, this is a great way to keeping commitments. But when things go bad, the opposite will happend and it will bite you.

I agree totally about the relationships. That's what I have been trying to tell several of the posters who don't seem to understand why the ship is sinking in recruting. Nothing could be done to stop this. And the close knit element makes perfect since why CU has taken four of the former commitments. Those four are close friends. Once some commitments start to jump ship, others will follow. Because you have a bunch of commitments who have gotten to know each other, of course you are going to have a dominoes effect. When things are going good, this is a great way to keeping commitments. But when things go bad, the opposite will happend and it will bite you.

exactly, some of these kids (and their HS coaches) had been getting recruited for the past 2 years and had lots of continuous contact with cally's coaches.

as soon as cally knew he couldn't reach the goals set by TO, i am sure the recruiting effort just dried up.

with no contact from the coaches, these kids felt abandoned and were like a pretty girl dumped at the senior prom........they were available and there were boys without dates.......the rest is simply history.