2009 Recruiting is what's important

well so far HCBP's recruiting has been less than stellar. Horrible, in fact. Losing commits to sCUm makes me sick to my stomach.

That being said, when a program changes coaches, recruiting almost always suffers that first year. I just hope he can get some decent athletes who are hard workers. The true test will be the recruiting class next year. If he can bring in a top 25 class I think we'll be in good shape for the future. Of course, to get a decent class next year, the performance on the field will have to be vastly improved.

You've got your work cut out for you Bo.

well so far HCBP's recruiting has been less than stellar. Horrible, in fact. Losing commits to sCUm makes me sick to my stomach.

That being said, when a program changes coaches, recruiting almost always suffers that first year. I just hope he can get some decent athletes who are hard workers. The true test will be the recruiting class next year. If he can bring in a top 25 class I think we'll be in good shape for the future. Of course, to get a decent class next year, the performance on the field will have to be vastly improved.

I think it's a little harsh to criticize Pelini's recruiting based off of what has transpired. The de-committing players were committed to Callahan's sales pitch, obviously not Pelini's. I have no ill-will towards any of the decommitts, having coached high school football and being involved in this process, the kids fall easily for what's promised to them. If Callahan was promising playing time and a stair step to the NFL, and Pelini is promising that if they work their butts off and earn the PT that they get, I know why the kids are going to somewhere that they'll be promised PT. And what gauge is recruiting anyway? As Callahan proved, you can have a top 5 class several years in a row, but if you can't coach them, what good are they.... I'm one for letting the next couple of years pan out before questioning his ability to recruit. Just my 2 cents.

I think it's a little harsh to criticize Pelini's recruiting based off of what has transpired. The de-committing players were committed to Callahan's sales pitch, obviously not Pelini's. I have no ill-will towards any of the decommitts, having coached high school football and being involved in this process, the kids fall easily for what's promised to them. If Callahan was promising playing time and a stair step to the NFL, and Pelini is promising that if they work their butts off and earn the PT that they get, I know why the kids are going to somewhere that they'll be promised PT. And what gauge is recruiting anyway? As Callahan proved, you can have a top 5 class several years in a row, but if you can't coach them, what good are they.... I'm one for letting the next couple of years pan out before questioning his ability to recruit. Just my 2 cents.

Especially since Bo and his staff had what....oh gee....I dunno 25 days of recruiting as opposed to 365 from other coaches around the nation??!!!

Especially since Bo and his staff had what....oh gee....I dunno 25 days of recruiting as opposed to 365 from other coaches around the nation??!!!

I agree. The problem is people need something to complain about and it seems like we as Husker fans try to find every little thing to complain about. Relax and let things pan out people. :wacko:

The recruiting season isn't over yet. I expect to see a few players come here BECAUSE of Pelini even this years. Plus I've heard a couple of times that they already have more than 100 videos from players wanting to walk on. I think it was Gilmore that said he's got something like 150 tapes from prospective walk ons to look at.

We're going to be just fine.

After re-reading my original post, I realize that it sounds overly harsh. I didn't mean to say that Bo's doing a bad job. The point I was trying to make is that recruiting this year doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. Whatever good players he can get are icing on the cake. The 2009 class will be the one that will help us see what kind of recruited HCBP really is ( and I think he'll do great, by the way). I think we'll be able to tell whether he's truly bringing in guys who will give everything for the Huskers, or just other programs leftovers.

After re-reading my original post, I realize that it sounds overly harsh. I didn't mean to say that Bo's doing a bad job. The point I was trying to make is that recruiting this year doesn't matter much in the scheme of things. Whatever good players he can get are icing on the cake. The 2009 class will be the one that will help us see what kind of recruited HCBP really is ( and I think he'll do great, by the way). I think we'll be able to tell whether he's truly bringing in guys who will give everything for the Huskers, or just other programs leftovers.

some of the kids cally had coming had been recruited for the past 2 years. Pelini has had less than a month to make some impact. it is quite natural to decommitt when the HC is canned, no one likes uncertainty.

yes, we will not do well with this class and it will hurt a bit down the road, but no reason to think we can't recover next year and get some kids into the mix sooner rather than later. give it time guys, i think we will see just better overall play, even with less talented players. at least the effort should be far better than we have seen in the past under Clownahan.