Marlon Lucky

np_husker

It may sound like I'm being unfairly critical of Marlon but I'm convinced he just is not an adequate back for Nebraska. All you have to do is look at the numbers

How about this:

He rushed for 1019 yards last year...but close to half of those came against Nevada, Ball State and Iowa State (442 all told). Against those three teams he averaged 147 yards a game. In the other 9 games he only managed 577 yards (64 yards a game).

He rushed for 114 yards a game versus non-conference teams last year but only managed a weak 70 yards a game versus Big 12 opponents.

Finally, last year when going agains run defenses ranked in the bottom 50 of the NCAA he ripped off 424 yards with 106 yard a game averag but when playing against run defenses ranked in the top 50 he only ran for 595 yards for a 74 yard per game average. These numbers include less than stellar numbers against Texas A&M (23 yards), OK State (66 yards) along with 15 rushing yards against Kansas and 33 yards versus USC.

If the opposition is medicore (or worse) Lucky is your man...if you want to really establish a running game versus real defenses...find someone else.

Incidently...for reference in case you want to know...here is the final rankings in rush defense for the opponents and Lucky's rushing totals

Nevada - #79 - 233 yards

Wake Forest - #17 - 90 yards

Ball State - #99 - 102 yards

USC - #4 - 33 yards

Missouri - #25 - 67 yards

Iowa State - #43 - 107 yards

OK State - #59 - 66 yards

Texas A&M - #66 - 23 yards

Texas - #8 - 111 yards

Kansas - #6 - 15 yards

Kansas State - #49 - 107 yards

Colorado - #32 - 69 yards

So was Texas an anomaly or a sign of things to come? Most of the games the Huskers were behind and were passing a bunch to attempt to come back and that hurt his running stats. Lucky also had almost 80 catches and about 700 yards receiving. Lots of his yards would come on screens and swing passes. Other teams knew that he was going to get the ball and still had a hard time stopping him in the open field. I think he could benefit from another year at Nebraska, but I think he is a solid back. People knock him because he isn't tough or doesn't break tackles. I urge you to watch the KSU game from this year. He ran like a man possessed for that game.

i rate KSU right down there with Nevada. honestly, against tougher opponents, he was average.

Lucky was 1 of 4 backs to hit 100 yards against Texas. The other 3 were Kevin Smith, Demarco Murray, and Dantrell Savage. Give the guy a little credit, against a top 10 rushing defense, he had a good game. KSU had only had 3 other running backs get 100 yards against them as well(Charles, Savage, and Fresno's rb).

I almost wish BJax would've stayed another year, that way it would've guaranteed that Lucky would've stayed for hsi senior year.

He left because he knew his touches were going to go down. Lucky was Callahan's boy and he saw the writing on the wall. Not saying it was Lucky's fault, but we all know how Callahan was about playing his boys. (See Ricky Thenarse)

I almost wish BJax would've stayed another year, that way it would've guaranteed that Lucky would've stayed for hsi senior year.

He left because he knew his touches were going to go down. Lucky was Callahan's boy and he saw the writing on the wall. Not saying it was Lucky's fault, but we all know how Callahan was about playing his boys. (See Ricky Thenarse)

Not sure where youre going with the Ricky Thenarse comment (he WILL be a stud for 2 more yrs @ NU) I do believe that Lucky has the chance to be great @ NU, he just has to sell out & buy into what Bo & Watson have to say & not what his "agent" or his "boys" have to say. If Marlon stays, no doubt his draft stock will rise. But only if he buys into the program 100%

Not sure where youre going with the Ricky Thenarse comment (he WILL be a stud for 2 more yrs @ NU) I do believe that Lucky has the chance to be great @ NU, he just has to sell out & buy into what Bo & Watson have to say & not what his "agent" or his "boys" have to say. If Marlon stays, no doubt his draft stock will rise. But only if he buys into the program 100%

I meant the quote that Thenarse made; "I hope this staff plays the best players." Thenarse played well when he was out there. Thenarse was frustrated this season because he felt Callahan's boys were getting to play instead of the best guys for that position. Not disrespecting him at all.

I meant the quote that Thenarse made; "I hope this staff plays the best players." Thenarse played well when he was out there. Thenarse was frustrated this season because he felt Callahan's boys were getting to play instead of the best guys for that position. Not disrespecting him at all.

When you say Callahan's boys whoare you referring to? The recruits, cause Ricky was one of those? WHO exactly are all of Callahans boys?