Marlon Lucky

np_husker

Steven M. Sipple: Don't go, Lucky

Friday, Dec 28, 2007 - 12:24:48 am CST

Nobody asked for my counsel — for obvious reasons — but that’s never stopped me before.

So, here goes:

Marlon Lucky ought to return to Nebraska for his senior season. It seems a no-brainer. But we hear he’s wrestling with the decision.

In some ways, it’s a tricky and somewhat intriguing situation.

Lucky, a 6-foot, 210-pound multi-purpose running back, obviously is a uniquely gifted athlete. He came on strong late this season. But is he physically, mentally and emotionally ready for the rigors and hard-core competition of the NFL? It says here he could use another year of maturation.

Lucky has discussed the NFL matter with new Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft is Jan. 15.

Here’s hoping Lucky is getting good advice (from someone other than a local newspaper hack), for Lucky might be tempted to take the big leap to riches if he assigns too much weight to a 2007 senior class of running backs that is extremely weak. In fact, there might not be an NFL first-round pick in the bunch.

However, “The junior class is maybe one of the best I’ve ever seen, and you’re going to see a lot of those guys (declare) for the draft,” said Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com.

Darren McFadden and Felix Jones of Arkansas, Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois and Jonathan Stewart of Oregon — they represent the top tier of junior running backs, according to Wright.

The second tier of juniors also has big-time talent in Steve Slaton of West Virginia, Ray Rice of Rutgers, James Davis of Clemson and Jamaal Charles of Texas, to name a few.

Wright expects most of the top-shelf junior running backs to declare for the draft to take advantage of the weak senior crop. That could leave Lucky as one of the nation’s top senior running backs next season — one excellent reason for him to stay put.

There are other reasons.

On a final list of running backs available for this year’s draft, Lucky probably would possess the prowess to crack the top 10, Wright said. However, cracking the top 10 doesn’t necessarily ensure a high draft selection. In fact, running backs situated near the bottom of the top 10 at their position can slide all the way to the fifth or sixth round, or lower.

“It’s a little bit of a shaky proposition for running backs,” Wright said. “They always tend to drop on draft day.”

Regarding Lucky, Wright said: “I’d say at this point I’d call him, at best, a middle-round pick. Maybe fourth or fifth round.”

So, what will Lucky do? My guess is he’s being advised to take his time with his decision — to wait to see how many other top juniors declare for the draft. If only a few declare, perhaps Lucky will make the jump.

It would be a perilous leap.

“If he comes out (and declares) with a flood of juniors, he could be one of those guys on draft day who’s like, ‘Oh, my gosh, what did I just do? I’m being taken in the sixth round,’” said draft guru Russ Lande of GMjr.com.

Lucky might make an 11th-hour decision in the manner of ex-Husker running back Brandon Jackson. Jackson’s decision last winter paid off handsomely; he was a second-round pick by Green Bay. Is Lucky as draftable as Jackson?

Better question: Is Jackson’s second-round selection (and instant-millionaire status) affecting Lucky’s decision?

Dunno for certain, but Lucky obviously is valuable to the 2008 Nebraska team. His return could be worth a win or two, at least.

It should be noted Lucky thoroughly enjoyed working in the same backfield as Joe Ganz. Don’t underestimate the Ganz factor in all of this.

And don’t underestimate the Pelini factor. Those close to Lucky would be wise to point out Pelini’s nine-year tenure in the NFL. Pelini knows what it takes to excel in the big show.

One other thing for Lucky to consider: If he declares for the draft, his stock would be determined in large part by his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

“He’d better be real confident in his ability to impress people at the combine,” Wright said. “Because that would be his last chance and really the only way he’s going to separate himself from other guys. Because, starting out, he’d be toward the back end of the pack — he wouldn’t be starting out as one of the top guys in the second tier.“

If you’re a Nebraska fan and count on Lucky’s return, you might worry what type of advice he’s receiving from agents.

“A lot of agents act like they have real great contacts in the NFL, but they don’t,” Lande said.

Of Lucky, Lande said: “He looks like a good back. But he doesn’t impress me as a guy who’s going to jump up and knock some of the top guys out of the pecking order.”

In other words, it seems clear Lucky should return to Nebraska, at least that’s my stance — not that anybody asked.

I'm with Sipple on this one. Lucky for whatever reason has not shown big-time running ability yet, and he needs to come back another year to show that he is not merely a receiving option out of the backfield. Besides the Nevada game (an aberration) and the Texas game (he was an absolute beast in that one), I've rarely Marlon showcase his pure running prowess. I know he's incredible out of the backfield in the passing game, which obviously is key when it comes to NFL personnel directors, but I still think he needs to come back and show he can be a 20-carry, 120 ypg-type running back. Particularly, as Sipple pointed out, when there is going to be a lot of good juniors in the draft.

Obviously a lot of it depends on what Watson has in mind for the offense as well as how Pelini's input will affect the game planning, but in the end I still think there is room for more development. I think what could ultimately decide it is who we hire for the RB coaching position and the bond that he and Marlon develop. I think if they hit it off, he'll stay (as he should). But it's up to him, and I hope he listens to his heart and not agents or whatever other outside influences are talking to him.

I'm with Sipple on this one. Lucky for whatever reason has not shown big-time running ability yet, and he needs to come back another year to show that he is not merely a receiving option out of the backfield. Besides the Nevada game (an aberration) and the Texas game (he was an absolute beast in that one), I've rarely Marlon showcase his pure running prowess. I know he's incredible out of the backfield in the passing game, which obviously is key when it comes to NFL personnel directors, but I still think he needs to come back and show he can be a 20-carry, 120 ypg-type running back. Particularly, as Sipple pointed out, when there is going to be a lot of good juniors in the draft.

Obviously a lot of it depends on what Watson has in mind for the offense as well as how Pelini's input will affect the game planning, but in the end I still think there is room for more development. I think what could ultimately decide it is who we hire for the RB coaching position and the bond that he and Marlon develop. I think if they hit it off, he'll stay (as he should). But it's up to him, and I hope he listens to his heart and not agents or whatever other outside influences are talking to him.

I agree, Lucky should stay for his senior season. I think with Watson and most likely Ganz, Lucky will get a chance to shine and raise his stock for the next draft.

Plus, we need him!

A lot of the problem this past year was less than stellar run blocking at times. Lucky has improved each year at Nebraska and there is nothing that would indicate that he won't improve even more if he stays next year. I think he should stay, but I think he will eventually make a lot of money in the NFL.

He would benefit from another year here. However, it's definitely true that Lucky's biggest problem last year was not having any holes to run through.

:yeah

Couldn't agree more. We nearly never ran between the tackles, mainly because of the scheme we were running. We didn't drive block anyone, we just blocked a zone, which is a pu&&y way to run the ball IMO. It was stretch left/stretch right, and that was it. Hopefully the new coaching staff can show Marlon some film of what they have in mind now that will convince him that he'll have somewhere to run next year.

He would benefit from another year here. However, it's definitely true that Lucky's biggest problem last year was not having any holes to run through.

In the NFL you have to make you're own holes, and if he's not able to do that in college, I can't see him doing any better in the NFL. I will admit, that he did get better at the end of the year, and stopped dancing in the backfield like he was during the start of the season.

I almost wish BJax would've stayed another year, that way it would've guaranteed that Lucky would've stayed for hsi senior year.

OTOH, Brandon Jackson got paid pretty well for being a pro RB with the Packers......

Hard to argue with Marlon Lucky if he thinks he's ready to make the leap. Although, I sure hope he decides to stay at NU for one last hurrah.