Buffaloed by drunken fans at CU bowl game

Buffaloed by drunken fans at CU bowl game

by DP Opinion on January 1, 2008

I spent an interesting evening at the Independence Bowl with my family, including my 11-year-old daughter. My grown daughter, a recent graduate, bought tickets from CU so we could sit among the faithful to enjoy the game. Bad idea, as it turns out.

The stadium in Shreveport, La., was awash with beer, never the best medium for CU fans, we have learned. Around us was a collection of young, gold-clad fans totally drunk and determined at all costs to get more drunk.

So here are a few questions:

Should the CU ticket office warn families that they should sit elsewhere, away from students? Should family tickets come with disclaimers, warnings, ear plugs? Is this, as one student shouted at me, a free speech issue?

Or perhaps should CU take some responsibility for its fans, refuse tickets to the drunken louts, monitor their behavior better at home games, and refuse to play games in stadiums where you could apparently buy six-packs no matter what your state of consciousness?

LINK

I don't think that it's just CU fans to blame. From what I've heard, there were a lot of Saban-hating LSU fans decked out in black & gold being pretty obnoxious to visiting Alabama fans. In terms of classless behavior, the two are often hard to distinguish even without wearing the other's colors.

that's it? Just drunk students? That happens at NU too.

That was kind of a tame article. I figured I was going to read about people starting fights or CU fans pissing on people below them.

I hate drunk, obnoxious fans as much as anyone, but you have to expect you're going to see that when you go to a college football game. 18-22 year olds get drunk, that's just what happens at college.

I liked these responses:

It is sad when a fan feels this way about their own fans. I went to school at Nebraska and had season tickets in our student section while attending. I don’t remember to many problems with other students. Even when I went back for a game this year, I ended up sitting in the student section and had a good time.

I’ve also been going to USC games for the last 3 years. Of all the people there, there is only 5 guys that have caused any problems. This year I confronted them in the 2nd game. After a somewhat heated exchange of words, we haven’t had a problem with them again. They still sit beside us, but they act better.

I think sometimes it is the duty of the good fans to help keep the bad fans in check. If you confront someone and they become aggressive, get the stadium security to talk with them. In the confrontation I had this year, the security came up and asked if I needed help. I told them no because I didn’t want these guys kicked out. I think that had helped as they are acting better at the games. I hope you and the other good fans at Colorado (yes I have met some good people there ) continue to go to the games. If you don’t and the fans continue as they are, people will keep equating Colorado as having the worse fans in the country.

Comment by HuskerBoy — January 2, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

The obvious solution, of course, is to ban all sporting venues at public universities. The time has come. They cause disruption campus-wide, and frankly I know of more than one professor who’s tired of having toilet-trained gorillas sit in his classroom and act surly.

Ban the ball. It’s the only way.

Comment by Persnickety — January 3, 2008 @ 7:20 am