'Lynch Tiger'

Report: Golf Channel anchor apologizes for 'lynch' remark

Updated: January 8, 2008, 9:09 AM ET

Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman has apologized after saying during Friday's telecast of the PGA Tour's opening event that today's young players should "lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley."

According to New York Newsday, a spokesman for the network said Tilghman apologized on Sunday's telecast and has reached out to Woods' representatives to express her regrets for the comments.

Tilghman, who played college golf at Duke, works as the main play-by-play announcer during The Golf Channel's PGA Tour telecasts.

LINK

• 2 weeks later...

This whole thing stinks and just shows how a stupid, all of a sudden remark, can change a persons whole life.

I used to run the course at a country club and we used to employ athletes from the local colleges and some were black. There was one young man of color who had been with us for three seasons and I especially liked him due to the fact that I could ask him to do things and he would do it without being supervised and always do it well. Not something that can be said of a lot of young people. On this particular occasion he was with a group of his fellow workers, one of whom was new. The new guys name was Beau XXXX. I had not met this young man as yet and I walked up to the group to introduce myself. My first name is Sam and it is here that one of those moments occured. As I walked up to the group I gestured to the new guy and said,

"Beau?" gestured back to myself and said, "Sam." I then did the reverse and said, "Sam, Beau." At that point I realized that Gordon was there and that I had just said, "Sambo." The words hung in the air and if I could have grabbed them back I would have but that is an impossibility. What I did do was say was, "Oh, sh#t!" I looked at Gordy and he burst out laughing. A situation that could have been totally mis-construed ended with two friends laughing and putting something that meant nothing behind them.

Slips of the tounge need to be seen as just that. I'm sure that the young lady on the Golf Channel meant nothing by her comment. If she could have grabbed those words out of mid air I'm sure she would have. Instead she said it on TV and it blew up in her face and cost her a two week suspension. My comment could have cost me my job, it didn't. Gordon and I are still friends to this day and I am a reference on his resume.

We need to 'thicken up' our skins a little. We need to stop taking offence at the smallest thing. Life is just too short and too full of pot holes to be fabricating more than there already are.

>>>T_O_B

From everything that I have read and listened too, this young lady is a very good friend of Tiger Woods, and called him immediately and apologized and explained that she did NOT mean any negative connotation by the comment....she used a poor choice of words...... Most of the analyst of ESPN agreed that she should be suspended (which she was), but she should not lose her job....... Tiger even stood behind her and issued statements saying that he took NO offense to the comments, and understood the "text" in which she was using the phrase..........

It really bugs me that in today's society, that people have to almost "rehearse" everything they say, do to the fact that sooooo many people, groups, advocates are just waiting to jump all over a slip of the tongue... in most cases, I think that the person's words are not meant to be hurtful, but just expressions that have been taken on by the english language......of course, it is easy for me to say, as a middle age caucasian male.....but as a teacher, I teach and work with EVERYONE, so I see a lot....

Now, I absolutely agree, that unfortunately, still, in the year 2008, we still have the ignorance of racism of many kinds that exist, and that anytime anyone says a direct racial remark, then consequences should happen.... (obviously, and especially in the media)

This young lady received the appropriate punishment.......suspended for 2 weeks (I believe)...... She meant no harm, but instead, used a poor choice of words...... Most of us know what she really meant...... She was actually complimenting Tiger, by suggesting that the only way to beat him is to NOT let him play.....

JMO