WR Chris Brooks

Player: Chris Brooks

Hometown/School: Hazelwood East HS, St. Louis MO

Position: WR

Height: 6’3"

Weight:190

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date:12/17/04

Scholarships offered: Missouri, Illinois, Nebraska - also getting notice from Florida

Favorites:Missouri, Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #16 /:star :star:star:star

Insiders: #24 /:star :star:star:star

Current Status: Verballed to NU

Assessing the talent: Tall, long receiver who can go up and take it away from the DB. Not freakishly fast or quick, but can get the job done with his frame. Will need to step up his work ethic considerably (as do most HS kids) - has admitted he really hasn't worked out much in the past.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 80% - Verbal to NU

Right now it's neck and neck b/t MU & NU. Originally commited to MU, but has since wavered a bit. BUt now has committeed to NU via Lincoln Sports Radio station. Was very impressed with his visit to Lincoln a couple weeks ago. Said MU & NU are tied for the lead currently - but also getting attention from Florida - but I believe distance will eliminate them from the pic.

Notes: Comparing NU to MU

Says NU has far and away the better facilities - football and student. Family is very important to him - has baby son & girlfriend - so the family living area is a big factor, which NU has very good accomodations for. Also distance is a key here - likes the fact that St Louis is only a 2 hr drive from Columbia, and only a 1 hr flight from Lincoln. Also gave the edge to NU in the area of academics. Overall he was super impressed with the attention the NU staff has given him - said they took the extra steps to give him a "hands on" feel to everything, whereas MU just went through the motions or explained it to him. This is huge, and a very good sign that our guys have it figured out. Its very important for a recruit to be comfortable, especially one that already has a family.

Nothing against this recruit in particular, but since when did it become the norm. for a high school senior to already have a family before even entering college? I've read where at least I believe 5 of the recruits we are after either already have a child and/or wife and expecting a child. Is this something that is just popping up this year, or is this becoming the norm.?

If the recruit is living up to his responsibilities as a father/husband, his first priority should be his family. I just don't know if you want a kid coming in here with this much pressure already and trying to juggle football and academics. I never even played college ball, and I had a difficult time adjusting with the academics without a wife or a child. I'm not saying we shouldn't take a chance on some of these players, but it seems like we have a lot of them that already have families. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I never remember these kind of things in the past.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I believe it is very risky handing out scholarships to players coming in that have families. IMO, it is like a ticking time bomb. Problems at home lead to problems on the field and vice versa. It just seems like a big risk to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50% - Verbal to MU

Right now it's neck and neck b/t MU & NU. Originally commited to MU, but has since wavered a bit. Was very impressed with his visit to Lincoln a couple weeks ago. Said MU & NU are tied for the lead currently - but also getting attention from Florida - but I believe distance will eliminate them from the pic.

will have decision by wed looks like he is "N"

:cheers:cheers

:horns2

What makes you believe he is NU bound....a hunch or some inside info...

Whatever it is, I hope that it is right.

With Boateng jumping to Florida, Brooks could be a HUGE get....ranked very high

Thanks for the info Nebr. Bob

Here is to the possibility to Brooks :cheers

dont kno abou that bob, but this bob got the good word from a friend in the Lou. a buddy that knows a buddy thing, so take it for wat its worht.

like bob sed Chris is expected to make his pick by Tue or wed of this wk. the itneresting thing is CB still doenst really feel he knows Pinkel from MU. feel real comfortable with the NU staff, but stil trying to get a bond with pinkel, and hasnt even heeard from him for sevearl days. plus his mom is even leaning towards NU. so from what ive heard most indicators say chris is N!!!!!!!!

Nothing against this recruit in particular, but since when did it become the norm. for a high school senior to already have a family before even entering college? I've read where at least I believe 5 of the recruits we are after either already have a child and/or wife and expecting a child. Is this something that is just popping up this year, or is this becoming the norm.?

If the recruit is living up to his responsibilities as a father/husband, his first priority should be his family. I just don't know if you want a kid coming in here with this much pressure already and trying to juggle football and academics. I never even played college ball, and I had a difficult time adjusting with the academics without a wife or a child. I'm not saying we shouldn't take a chance on some of these players, but it seems like we have a lot of them that already have families. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I never remember these kind of things in the past.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I believe it is very risky handing out scholarships to players coming in that have families. IMO, it is like a ticking time bomb. Problems at home lead to problems on the field and vice versa. It just seems like a big risk to me!

you make good pts JR. god knows i couldnt handle me own self in college, hence the only thing i walked away with was a fistful of credit cards and a t-shirt with my fat mug on it that read "college". yah they used me melon for the "after" shot of belushi. anyway i digress. but actually that leads me to my point which I acutlaly have this time. IMO a single guy livin the high life of being a big time recruit on a big time colege campus the first time away from home with skanks throwing their koogles at you left and right, would be alot more risky than a kid who already is established and seems to have his ducks in a row and priorities straight. hell he would have to if he plans to bring his ol lady and curtain clmber wit him. his lady will keep him in check and in most cases people with kids are mor mature than kids that are still working on having some kids.. with multiple baby mommas. thats justmyHO, tho. did any of that make sense?

yeh lookz like CB wont be ready today. his Moms is pullin hard for NU and baby momma wants MU.. mostly b/c its closer. so he is torn. maybe tomoorrow or it may string out even longer. let the kid make a good decision and be at peace wit it. last thing we want is to sign a kid and then ahve him transfer bc hes not happy.