Rivals Rating System

It appears like we are doing very well, so I could care less. :)

Overall...I would agree with your statement. I am very excited about the class this staff has put together. I'm really anxious to see what they can do with a full year to recruit.

That said, I understand that these ratings don't mean squat when it comes to production on the field. but it's kinda' like the BCS system, in that it's all we have to gauge ourselves against other programs. I realize that for the most part it's popularity contest...or at the least like judging the "Half Pipe" competition at the the Winter Olympics. I'm just trying to understand where they get their convoluted logic. Yesterday (2/3) we were sitting at 27 with 23 commits at 3.04 average stars and 1181 pts. So...we get a verbal from another 3 star and our "points" drop to 1180. Just doesn't seem logical...doesn't "compute"... :dunno

Yesterday (2/3) we were sitting at 27 with 23 commits at 3.04 average stars and 1181 pts. So...we get a verbal from another 3 star and our "points" drop to 1180. Just doesn't seem logical...doesn't "compute"... dunno.gif

Actually, that's totally logical.

23 commits at 3.04 average stars, then add a 3-star commit.

And we get 24 commits at 3.038 average stars.

Yeah, it's not a big difference, but neither was our point difference (1180 from 1181).

Basically, if our average is above 3, and we keep adding 3-stars, then our average will keep getting lower and approaching 3.

Yesterday (2/3) we were sitting at 27 with 23 commits at 3.04 average stars and 1181 pts. So...we get a verbal from another 3 star and our "points" drop to 1180. Just doesn't seem logical...doesn't "compute"... dunno.gif

Actually, that's totally logical.

23 commits at 3.04 average stars, then add a 3-star commit.

And we get 24 commits at 3.038 average stars.

Yeah, it's not a big difference, but neither was our point difference (1180 from 1181).

Basically, if our average is above 3, and we keep adding 3-stars, then our average will keep getting lower and approaching 3.

they average star rating and the total point rating are not related directly.

look at the top 25

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Y...pe=0&Sort=0

that is why teams like Illinois and Minnesota have a lower star rating, but are ranked higher than teams like MU. look at Arizona state and Illinois. there is only a one player difference (27 and 28) but Arizona State is higher even though it has a lower average star ranking(2.96 vs 3.11)

even when we got 2 star players we moved up on the rivals point scale(far right column) which is what the overall team rankings is based on

look at the top 25

that is why teams like Illinois and Minnesota have a lower star rating, but are ranked higher than teams like MU. even when we got 2 star players we moved up on the rivals point scale(far right column) which is what the overall team rankings is based on

Right, more players usually equals a higher score: explanation

(from free section of rivals):

Next to the national player rankings, recruiting fans want to know how their favorite team stacks up in the race for the recruiting national championship. Rivals100 has developed a state of the art point system for the team rankings that allows teams to be rewarded for landing the top players in a number of different criteria areas.

Teams are awarded points through a formula that rewards them for both the quantity of commitments and the quality of those players. Prospects with higher star ratings earn more points for the school to which they commit; prospects that are ranked among the top at their positions earn still more points; and prospects that are ranked on the Rivals 100 earn even more bonus points.

The team rankings will be updated once a day in the early morning hours until we move closer to signing day when team rankings will be updated on a more timely manner. So that way as the recruiting wars begin to heat up, you can see how your favorite team does in the battle for the recruiting national championship.

As to why things are lower, did some players' rankings get changed?

look at the top 25

that is why teams like Illinois and Minnesota have a lower star rating, but are ranked higher than teams like MU. even when we got 2 star players we moved up on the rivals point scale(far right column) which is what the overall team rankings is based on

Right, more players usually equals a higher score: explanation

(from free section of rivals):

Next to the national player rankings, recruiting fans want to know how their favorite team stacks up in the race for the recruiting national championship. Rivals100 has developed a state of the art point system for the team rankings that allows teams to be rewarded for landing the top players in a number of different criteria areas.

Teams are awarded points through a formula that rewards them for both the quantity of commitments and the quality of those players. Prospects with higher star ratings earn more points for the school to which they commit; prospects that are ranked among the top at their positions earn still more points; and prospects that are ranked on the Rivals 100 earn even more bonus points.

The team rankings will be updated once a day in the early morning hours until we move closer to signing day when team rankings will be updated on a more timely manner. So that way as the recruiting wars begin to heat up, you can see how your favorite team does in the battle for the recruiting national championship.

As to why things are lower, did some players' rankings get changed?

that might be possible, but I thought the final raning already came out. but yeah we have had changes like that. like whitmore is a 4 star now. I think sean fisher was a 4 star at one point, and now is a 3....

but like I said, I thought(certainly could be wrong) that they released the final rankings.

Think I might have figured out what Rivals did to NU.

We had four player rated 5.6, now there are only three. So, they down graded one of them from 5.6 to 5.5. Perhaps, that was enough to drop our points rating.

Now the question is, what changed to cause a drop in the players rating? Because we might have moved ahead of Colorado in the team ratings?

:boxosoap