90's blackshirts...

redpimpin'

just got done watching highlight films of the 90's blackshirts...man wrere they impressive...i don't see how we ever got away from that style of defense (both in shemes and the type of personnel that we used to put on the field...everytime the ball was snapped it was like a pack of hungary wolves attacking it's prey...the penetration and the chaos they create were unbelievable...alot of the players( especially at the LB , DE, and some at DT) were coverted players...players like donta jones , d'wayne harris etc. were really lb size DE...at the LB positions you got players like ed stewart, troy dumas ,terrell farley,jamel william,octavious mcfarlin, and many more ...these guys were really defensive back playing linebacker that's how we were able to put all that speed on the field ..they weren't just sitting back either...man i wish we could play that type of defense again with the speed and aggrression that they used to display..teams should have to change their offensive game plans to play our defense not the other around

donta jones was one of my favorite defensive players ....its hard not to live in the past if your a husker fan....im going to watch the 1995 national championsip game with some friends for my birthday...no team was better in the 90's.......im excited for the future as well...whether the Big Red is 5-7 or 11-1...its all good...

The only thing I didn't like in the 90's was that we didn't play more man to man in the defensive backfield. I think the talent was there, the only place we were kind of weak there was it seemed like our safetys and linebackers were always kind of short compared to the receivers.

Bo said that his defense philosophy always involved on every single play that 11 players moved in one continuous motion to the ball from the time it's snapped until the whistle blows. His LSU defenses were pretty ferocious. I hope our walk-on program adds a bit to the passion department as well. One characteristic we can't forget is how bloody MEAN the 90s defenses were.

Bo said that his defense philosophy always involved on every single play that 11 players moved in one continuous motion to the ball from the time it's snapped until the whistle blows. His LSU defenses were pretty ferocious. I hope our walk-on program adds a bit to the passion department as well. One characteristic we can't forget is how bloody MEAN the 90s defenses were.

The Blackshirts tradition needs reviving so badly. Isn't this the greatest hope for Bo?

The only thing I didn't like in the 90's was that we didn't play more man to man in the defensive backfield. I think the talent was there, the only place we were kind of weak there was it seemed like our safetys and linebackers were always kind of short compared to the receivers.

I'm not sure what team you watched in the 90's, but once we got the right kind of cb's, NU played primarily bump-n-run coverage with the db's. I think Darlington said it was about 85% man, 15% zone.