being held back by the system?

redpimpin'

Honestly, I think it had more to do with motivation and wanting to play than it did scheme. Scheme was probably part of it, but I think towards the end a lot of the guys on that side of the ball just weren't into it.

If you think it was the motivation that was lacking, what do you think was the game that broke them? USC or Ball St.? I suppose it could be a combination of the two, but somewhere in those two games the defense just tore apart at the seams and never recovered.

I would have to agree that it was more motivation than scheme, but the scheme was at least partly to blame. What Cosgrove tried to do (and didn't do) against Missouri was beyond my comprehension. Why did he eliminate the joker position? Why? WHY? Culbert rocked Missouri at that position the year before. Water under the bridge now I guess.

My guess is the USC game just destroyed these guys spirits. After that game they played flat and looked like crap every week! They came back out ready to play against Texas because I think they realized they still had a chance to beat a big team last season. Then they lost that one and the rest is history. They played well against KSUcks because it was Senior day and the last home game so they were loose and ready to have some fun. That's what it's supposed to be like. :dunno

Not a fan of Coz, but I do not blame this all him. There is a charcter problem on this team. I saw many quit last year. I still believe quitters never win, no matter the coach, and winners never quit no matter the coach.

We had line backers that were suppose to be at one time the second best in the country. Where did they go? Coaching does not destroy god given desire or ability. Attitude did. I hope Pelini can over come this, but my guess is we will see some of it again this year, or we will be seeing some very young players doing the job.

This team quit on the last staff. It will be easy for them to do it again. We had coaching problems there is no question, but we have a motivation, dediation, drive, loyalty problem to. A lot for a first year coach to overcome.

Time after time I saw linebackers playing too close the line of scrimmage. Other team lined up 2 and 3 yard deeper. Sometimes the MLB was another yard deep. The LB were rushing to plug a gap while the running back was still 2-3 yards from the LOS. The running back simply picked the gap that wasn't closed. On perimeter plays, too often the linebackers were caught up in the traffic and couldn't get to the outside. Coz made no adjustments.

In the Texas game we did good with the blitz package until Texas figured out to run Charles. Did Coz adjust? LOL! Are you kidding me? I could see it, the announcers could see, but not Coz.

:boxosoap

Anyway, I think our D-line will be greatly improved upon during this upcoming season. I think there is a lot of talent there and there have been flashes of brilliance, but no consistency. I think they were the most underachieving unit under Cosgrove last season.

Agreed. The LBs took the most criticism, but I really thought the D-Line was the worst unit on the defense. Part of the problem was having four brand new starters, plus we played USC so early in the season and got steamrolled. It had to have destroyed any confidence they had. After that point Cosgrove was completely incapable of getting their motivation back up.

Every part of the d looked bad! I thought the secondary under callahan and cosgrove were really mediocre every year. but yea d- line was horrible this year, (not neccessarily the players, but the coaching)

Honestly, I think it had more to do with motivation and wanting to play than it did scheme. Scheme was probably part of it, but I think towards the end a lot of the guys on that side of the ball just weren't into it.

If you think it was the motivation that was lacking, what do you think was the game that broke them? USC or Ball St.? I suppose it could be a combination of the two, but somewhere in those two games the defense just tore apart at the seams and never recovered.

I would have to agree that it was more motivation than scheme, but the scheme was at least partly to blame. What Cosgrove tried to do (and didn't do) against Missouri was beyond my comprehension. Why did he eliminate the joker position? Why? WHY? Culbert rocked Missouri at that position the year before. Water under the bridge now I guess.

The USC game easily. That was supposed to be the "measuring stick" for our team and when things started going south they couldn't recover. I'll still blame it on the coaches cause our team lost focus and they couldn't get them back on track. There must have been some finger pointing or something going on in the locker room, cause everyone lost faith in everyone, coaches and players.