Bo Lays Down the law

I'm glad Bo is taking a tough stance against off-the-field stuff. My concern, however, is what exactly is the no-tolerance policy? Does this mean guys aren't allowed to go out? Not allowed to drink? Or simply that if they get in trouble while doing this stuff, they are in deep s**t?

Because I've been part of a program where they decided that there would be an absolute no-drinking policy, and all that did was create two camps within the team, with the non-drinkers being judgmental of those who did partake in alcohol. By the end of the year, the two sides hated each other and the team limped to a 5-5 finish. In addition to this, some kids didn't like having what they were doing with their free time dictated by the non-drinkers, and it made them even MORE determined to do what they want. I think that sometimes, if you're told what your NOT supposed to do, it only makes you want to do it more to make your point, however immature of a move that may be.

So I guess it all depends on what Bo means by no tolerance. If he's saying that there will be no tolerance for guys causing trouble at bars and parties, than I am in complete agreement with him--the program has to take a strong stance and the players have to be aware that they are representatives of the program and that they have to be careful when making decisions. However, if he's asking for a vow of complete sobriety from these kids, I have my worries.

Yeah...I hear what you're saying. I think this says a lot, "Our players understand the intent of this rule and what we are trying to accomplish. Therefore, any violation will be handled individually as it pertains to the specific circumstance.". Indicates that he's not banned drinking all together but rather if a player gets into trouble while drinking he will be dealt with severely. Which...IMHO...is as it should be...

Yeah...I hear what you're saying. I think this says a lot, "Our players understand the intent of this rule and what we are trying to accomplish. Therefore, any violation will be handled individually as it pertains to the specific circumstance.". Indicates that he's not banned drinking all together but rather if a player gets into trouble while drinking he will be dealt with severely. Which...IMHO...is as it should be...

:yeah

They way I read it is the players can still go out but not to the "off limits" places. And if they then happen to get in trouble they are in deep SH!T.

I think this is about as hard a line that Coach Pelini can establish and I like it.

The UNL Dairy Store Ice Cream Shop in the Union is gonna get pretty boring by November....

I'm glad Bo is taking a tough stance against off-the-field stuff. My concern, however, is what exactly is the no-tolerance policy? Does this mean guys aren't allowed to go out? Not allowed to drink? Or simply that if they get in trouble while doing this stuff, they are in deep s**t?

Likely just watch what you do. No way a program of 100+ players can all be monitored at one time, making sure they do not take a sip of alcohol. I'm sure there are players on the team that drink alcohol regularly and never have these run-ins. It's likely just a basic have your fun, drink and whatever .. but just keep your butt out of trouble.

Likely just watch what you do. No way a program of 100+ players can all be monitored at one time, making sure they do not take a sip of alcohol. I'm sure there are players on the team that drink alcohol regularly and never have these run-ins. It's likely just a basic have your fun, drink and whatever .. but just keep your butt out of trouble.

I agree, kids will be kids, and they are going to try to push the limits of what they can do. I'm sure that Bo realizes this and will enforce that if you mess up and get in trouble with the law there will be hell to pay.

I think they will still drink, but they better be very selective about who they drink around and under what circumstances. If LPD is called to a house party, they better know that they will be in trouble...so keep the party quiet and small if they are going to do it.

You are not going to effectively ban all drinking with people this age (notice, I did NOT say kids, because they are adults by law). They need to know what is being risked, and ask themselves if it is worth the risk to do what they are doing. I know I wouldn't want to throw my free education down the drain.

I think they will still drink, but they better be very selective about who they drink around and under what circumstances. If LPD is called to a house party, they better know that they will be in trouble...so keep the party quiet and small if they are going to do it.

You are not going to effectively ban all drinking with people this age (notice, I did NOT say kids, because they are adults by law). They need to know what is being risked, and ask themselves if it is worth the risk to do what they are doing. I know I wouldn't want to throw my free education down the drain.

Not even that though, small and quiet doesn't matter.

3 rules for partying in Lincoln

Rule 1. Don't host a party at your residence(If you do then you want small and quiet)

Rule 2. If LPD is called to a house party, when they ask you to leave, you put down your alchohol and you leave.

Rule 3. Don't speed off.

Using those 3 rules it is virtually impossible to get into trouble at a party in Lincoln. I'd estimate cops were called to 15-25 parties that I was at while I was there, not once did the cops not ask everyone to leave, you leave and you don't get into trouble, that simple.

Not even that though, small and quiet doesn't matter.

3 rules for partying in Lincoln

Rule 1. Don't host a party at your residence(If you do then you want small and quiet)

Rule 2. If LPD is called to a house party, when they ask you to leave, you put down your alchohol and you leave.

Rule 3. Don't speed off.

Using those 3 rules it is virtually impossible to get into trouble at a party in Lincoln. I'd estimate cops were called to 15-25 parties that I was at while I was there, not once did the cops not ask everyone to leave, you leave and you don't get into trouble, that simple.

Rule #4: Don't reach up a girl's skirt (unless she asks you to).

They way I read it is the players can still go out but not to the "off limits" places. And if they then happen to get in trouble they are in deep SH!T.

I think this is about as hard a line that Coach Pelini can establish and I like it.

The UNL Dairy Store Ice Cream Shop in the Union is gonna get pretty boring by November....

So will watching these guys get their asses kicked again this year if they don't wise up...every night on ESPN and its offspring the Bottom Line lists all kinds of athletes in trouble. These guys watch that. If they screw up, they deserve whatever they get.