Starting quarterback???

Starting Quarterback  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for Zac Lee. I think once people see Lee in the Spring game they will draw the same conclusion even then, that he is the QB that can best lead the team to victories.

I like Ganz too and also think he could do a good job. But I still think he has a tendency to throw the ball up for grabs and be quite often off target on many of his throws (watch his play in the games last year to see that). He had interceptions and quite a few more passes that were right to the opposing teams defenders that were luckily dropped, but it didn't negate the fact that Ganz threw some bad balls. If he does that this year, it will absolutely kill the team because our Defense is in rebuild mode and we cannot afford turnovers. This isn't the kind of team that can overcome turnovers. To me that is Ganz downfall. He isn't Joe Daily-bad...no one could be, but just once or twice a game will kill us.

Lee has a great arm and is mobile too. He is the real deal.

Hmmm...this might be a really long post that seems to fall off subject, but if you read the whole thing, I promise everything will be tied together.

First, I want to preface this by saying I am fairly confident that Ganz will get the starting position at QB. He's familiar with Watson, he's familiar with the system, and he knows what needs to be done to make this offense work. Yes, Ganz did throw a fair amount of interceptions for the amount of play time he saw last season.

I'm not going to say he threw the interceptions because he was told that he was not allowed to scramble by Callahan and therefore tried to throw into coverage. I don't know what was said, and therefore, I don't want to make any assumptions. However, what I do know is that - with the exception of the Colorado game - Ganz threw those interceptions when down 2-3 TDs or more! When down by that much it's pretty obvious that passing is really the only way to get back into the game quickly. So, the defense was usually in Nickel or Dime anticipating the pass. With that many DBs in the game, of course there will be alot of interceptions thrown. And perhaps Ganz (just like Keller) tried to force many of the passes because their defense wasn't helping any, so it turned into a shootout basically. Unfortunately, NU lost the shootout most of the time because the opponent's D was alot better than ours.

It's been said a million times over: defense wins championships. It's just not a cute saying that someone came up with; it's the truth. If our defense is at least average (maybe 50th or better in the country), I would say that the amount of interceptions Ganz throws will drastically decrease. Why? Because he's not climbing up hill. It's not all on his shoulders. NU will still be able to run the ball, which will keep our opponent's D on their feet and likely exploit passing mismatches (i.e., LB covering a WR).

Another thing I want to mention is this idea that Witt is not mobile. Granted, on the recruiting report it lists him as a "pro style QB" (whatever that means). However, if you look at his recruiting video, there are only a few plays in which he actually drops back in the pocket and then delivers the ball. Most of the video is him scrambling around in the pocket, running the option, QB draws, or when he realizes the passing play isn't going to work he tucks the ball and runs it. Many of the running plays he leaves many D linemen, LBs, and DBs in the dust. So I don't know where this notion of Witt being similar to Keller comes from, but it simply isn't true. Go look at his recruiting videos if you don't believe me.

I am not saying that Witt will win Ganz's starting spot, but I do believe he is just as mobile as Ganz. Not only that, but he has a little more size to him to withstand defensive punishment.

Whoever wins the top spot, I hope Watson decides to involve them in the running game a little more. I want the opposing defense to be confused as to who will be getting the ball (i.e., will it be a handoff to Lucky, will the QB tuck the ball and run with it, will the QB throw the ball?).

I'm probably just as pumped for this new season to start as the Husker players! Go Big Red!