Starting quarterback???

Starting Quarterback  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This thread has kinda fizzled out lately......I still say its Ganz's job to lose.

He's not the best qb on the team, just the only one with experience so I would say yes it is his job to loose.

He's not the best qb on the team?!?? Who is better?? Not saying Lee doesnt have talent or anything but he has been playing D2 ball, he has yet to prove anything in D1. Why are there so many people that put so much stock into Zac Lee when he hasnt done anything to deserve it?

This thread has kinda fizzled out lately......I still say its Ganz's job to lose.

He's not the best qb on the team, just the only one with experience so I would say yes it is his job to loose.

He's not the best qb on the team?!?? Who is better?? Not saying Lee doesnt have talent or anything but he has been playing D2 ball, he has yet to prove anything in D1. Why are there so many people that put so much stock into Zac Lee when he hasnt done anything to deserve it?

I wouldn't say Ganz has done much to prove it either. All the games he played were against very mediocre defenses. Im not taking anything any from Joey but Im sure if its based on talent alone somebody can and will step up to challenge him for the job.

Watson has already said it's Ganz's job to lose. I agree that I haven't been all that floored by Ganz's throws, but he's got Div. I starting experience and that's worth something. Supposedly Lee is more mobile (before breaking his leg anyway) and Witt has a better arm, but I think those will be questions for next year. This year we will have Ganz at the helm unless he's seriuosly injured.

Another selling point for Ganz is that he is wildly popular with both fans and players. The team respects him and that is something that should be considered too.

The spring game could make this more interesting. While it's Joey's job to lose for now, if Witt or Lee looks good in the spring game and Joe costs us a game or two with interceptions, I wouldn't be surprised to see fans calling for the backup. I just hope it doesn't get as ugly as when it happened with Scott Frost and Frankie London (another example that the coaches know much, much better than the fans).

As far as I know none of us has ever actually SEEN Zac Lee play at all. A few video clips maybe, but that's about it. Last year's depth chart had Keller, Ganz, Witt, Beau Davis in that order as the top four QBs which would seem to indicate Lee wasn't even in the top four.. Of course I don't remember when he broke his leg, but the point is he still has to over come THREE other QBS that were ahead of him last year in order to get the starting job. Not just Joey Ganz. From anyhing I've ever heard Patrick Witt is a better player than Lee.

What I'd like to know is how anybody knows anything about either Witt or Lee's ability to perform at this level. There's no real evidence either way for either of them. So I guess it's up o the coaches to decide, and Watson's remark that the Job is Ganz's to lose seems to be a pretty good clue as to what the coaches are thinking.

i really do not want a sitting duck in witt back there again. i want some mobility and ganz and lee have that. i think ganz will start this coming year but lee will get plenty of playing time. lee has much athletic ability as evidenced by his video and that he has relatives that have played in the NFL(his dad i think) which means good genes. no offense to witt but unless he is waaay more mobile than what we have heard/ seen on videos then i really do not want him to start, too many flashbacks of keller being a sitting duck.

just my opinion though.

I wouldn't say Ganz has done much to prove it either. All the games he played were against very mediocre defenses. Im not taking anything any from Joey but Im sure if its based on talent alone somebody can and will step up to challenge him for the job.

Mediocre though they may be, Zac Taylor and Sam Keller never had days even close to Ganz'. You might say that was only because of the play call selection. Well he still had a 75% completion percentage against Kansas State (something that he mostly controls, not the play calls.) Also, Kansas' defense is hardly mediocre, and although he had just as many picks as touchdowns, it was his first chance ever playing against a 1st string defense.

He's done plenty to prove he should be starter until someone dethrones him. Come on.

FWIW Ganz's intercepton percenages were highly inflated because when he was pressured he was NOT ALLOWED to scramble and thus forced some bad passes that should not have been thrown.

Case in point during the KU game Ganz scrambled and picked up six yards but got chewed out by Callahan for it, later in the game he rolled out to the left, had lots of free space to pick up a first down on the ground but though it looked like he wanted to run for it, he hesitated and threw a pass into coverage that was picked off because he didn't want to get chewed out again.

No, joke in the colorado game toward the end of the game he was very hesitant to run even when he had green acres. But to blame callahan for chewing on him for running....the guy had a 28 yard scramble td. as far as interceptions go they dont tell the entire story of the game. when you are down like we were against kansas, you have to throw the ball and the defense knows it, so when you're dropping 6 or 7 guys in coverage thats tough to throw against. And in the Colorado game nate swift tipped a pass that was picked. I think some of you guys *cough* mcatt *cough* trouble need to give him some love, he broke the single game total offense record in only his SECOND START!!! and we've been playing ball since 1890!!! Aretha Franklin put it best R-E-S-P-E-C-T

It's Ganz's job to lose. No one else(Davis isnt a real option) has even taken a single snap. You take the guy who put up psychotic numbers over his starts over a total unknown. Say what you will about some yards coming after teams were up, but the offense was the most potent I have ever seen for the Huskers with Ganz under center. And I am going to assume he will be able to scramble this year, making him more dangerous. I can not imagine the coaches taking a total unknown over a guy who played lights out when parts of the team were just going through the motions. Pelini talks big about 'heart' Joe Ganz has heart.

Never said it wasn't Ganz's job to lose but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if somebody else starts this year. He does have the experience yes, but I think there are some others that have more talent. Ganz is a MEDIOCRE quarterback. As I said, He put up good numbers vs MEDIOCRE defenses. No mater what you say Kansas's defense was very mediocre. They did not play very many great offenses over the course of last year. I'll give Ganz more credit if he comes out and puts up the numbers that he did last year, which I find highly unlikely.