Asante to stay at safety

"That's all in the coaches' hands. I don't have any control over that. I'm a team player. I've been playing safety all my life and that's what I want to play. But at the same time, if they feel like there's a need for change, I'll do it," Asante said.

"But talking to the coaches, there isn't going to be a position change, I already know that. (But) certain defenses, certain packages, if I'm playing linebacker, if that's going to benefit the team, if that's going to get us a W, at the end I'm all for it."

This is what was missing when BC was coaching. The players are willing to do what it takes for the team to win!

"We do more flexibility, a lot more stretching, lot more explosive lifts, lot more explosive runs, just everything we do we're competing against each other," Asante said. "It's highly intense. It is no joke. Before, we had a long time between sets. Everybody would take five minutes between sets. It's like rapid fire (now). You do everything boom-boom-boom-boom. It's nonstop. And once you enter the weight room, you're not allowed to leave the weight room until you're done."

About damn time this attitude comes back to NU!!!!!! :restore:restore:restore

Does anybody else think Asante looked slow and/or out of position all the time last year? If he can walk out on the field and drop deuces like he did in the Ball St. game and still keep his job at safety, we are in for a long season.

He was one of our fastest guys and top tacklers on the D last year. You sure you weren't watching Ruud....or McKeon...or any of our linebackers? THey were always out of place, I seem to remember more than one occasion seeing Asante blow up a player because our linebackers didn't know how to bring them down.

Does anybody else think Asante looked slow and/or out of position all the time last year? If he can walk out on the field and drop deuces like he did in the Ball St. game and still keep his job at safety, we are in for a long season.

I think you could make that same argument for almost all the defensive players. The only d player that didn't look slow and/or out of position , IMO, was Grixby.

I think you could make that same argument for almost all the defensive players. The only d player that didn't look slow and/or out of position , IMO, was Grixby.

Waiting for the WR to make the catch, then being drug 10 yards trying to make a tackle is'nt exactly good enough to be labeled as "in position" IMO.

Waiting for the WR to make the catch, then being drug 10 yards trying to make a tackle is'nt exactly good enough to be labeled as "in position" IMO.

I still call that "in position" for the Cosgrove/Elmassian system. I also don't remember him getting dragged 10 yards.

Asante can not play pass coverage. The guy is no help to the corners.

The beauty of this one is that likely with Pelini as coach then if what you say about Asante is true (and it may be), then either he'll be coached up and improve (for one cannot doubt that he has the physical attributes to play well) and play better, or he will be replaced by another who is better --- such is comforting. Last year a guy could get schooled all day every week and seemingly there was no improvement, no modifications being made.

Now, with Asante's measured speed and athleticism, if he is in the right position with the right scheme and the right attitude (all of which I think that this staff will effect) then he will be not only good but potentially really good. Also, do not forget that Asante is young --- he is going in as a Junior this next season and the natural improvement in that transition is often very significant.

So I agree Asante was less than stellar last year. But with better coaching, a better attitude, and a year under his belt --- I'd expect that he will be one of the strengths of the defense next year.

And, for what it is worth I expect the same from Armando Murillo and Ng(whatever) Suh. All three should flourish for the same reasons. I think these three will be the heart of the defense.

Asante can not play pass coverage. The guy is no help to the corners.

The beauty of this one is that likely with Pelini as coach then if what you say about Asante is true (and it may be), then either he'll be coached up and improve (for one cannot doubt that he has the physical attributes to play well) and play better, or he will be replaced by another who is better --- such is comforting. Last year a guy could get schooled all day every week and seemingly there was no improvement, no modifications being made.

Now, with Asante's measured speed and athleticism, if he is in the right position with the right scheme and the right attitude (all of which I think that this staff will effect) then he will be not only good but potentially really good. Also, do not forget that Asante is young --- he is going in as a Junior this next season and the natural improvement in that transition is often very significant.

So I agree Asante was less than stellar last year. But with better coaching, a better attitude, and a year under his belt --- I'd expect that he will be one of the strengths of the defense next year.

And, for what it is worth I expect the same from Armando Murillo and Ng(whatever) Suh. All three should flourish for the same reasons. I think these three will be the heart of the defense.

I motherf'ng hope so!

Asante has alot of potential. However, I would rather see him as a DB right now.

Why? Because there is will be no leadership in the secondary if he takes a LB role (although one could successfully argue there was no leadership at all on the defense last year). Pelini said from the start that everyone will be held accountable. I think along these same lines, each part of the defense will have its unnamed leader. I say unnamed because I don't think it will be an official title or anything, it will just be the person players go to for help and support. I think this is needed quite honestly, and there definitely needs to be an overall defensive leader.

I would like to see our defense have a SS/LB hybrid position though. I think it really mixes up the defense and puts them at an advantage because it is usually not known before the snap where that individual will be going.

I know there is probably no way this would happen, but I play NCAA Football 2008 on PS2 and use the Cornhuskers in Dynasty mode. I set up a 3-3-5 defense, but the two safeties (not the FS) are actually recruited LBs, so I technically have 5 LBs on the field. The defense is intense, and the run stands almost no chance against my D. And if those receivers are coming across the middle, they better be able to hang onto the ball!

Not sure how practical this would be in real life though (thinks back to when Cosgrove utilized the 3-3-5 defense ALL GAME against Missouri unsuccessfully and shutters)...

Don't forget about Murillo though. He was a starter in the secondary and seemed to have a good attitude. I can see him developing into a leader. It's really hard to tell right now because we don't know how well these kids have been keeping up with the off season conditioning and whatnot.

If they're serious about kicking ass next year, then we should see a lot of improvement.