Practice 4/5/08

Part 1:

The Huskers finished their seventh of 15 spring practices on Saturday inside of Memorial Stadium. It was a very positive one for linebacker Cody Glenn and one that had Bo Pelini in good spirits.

The practice featured scrimmaging and some red zone action.

"We're making progress, both sides of the football, we're seeing some good things," Pelini said. "I liked what I saw out there today. I thought we took a step back (Friday), especially on the defensive side of the ball. But today we came back and we got back on it. It was good to see our guys respond with a sense of urgency today."

Pelini praised the play of Glenn before even being asked about him. "He's just very instinctive," Pelini said. There's still some things that he doesn't know, but his instincts, his athleticism is showing up, he's tough. He can be a very good player ... It's been a pleasant surprise in how quickly he's made an adjustment."

In his third practice at the position, Glenn saw action with the top-level guys.

"He's going to a senior year so it's not something you want to make a long-term project into," Pelini said. "It's either (that) he shows it's a fit or not a fit. So far, he's done a lot of good things. He's made some plays. But it's too early on making a rash judgment. I do like some of things I've seen out of him."

A couple of tight ends, Mike McNeill and Dreu Young sat out the practice, but Pelini said it was nothing serious and that both guys would have played if it were a game day. Will Henry, Kenny Wilson and Tyson Hetzer also continue to sit out.

Link

Its nice to hear that Glenn is not just going through the motions and playing timid. The only way this transition will work for him is if he gives every effort to listen and learn. I really hope he proves himself and is good enough to get some playing time. I think he could be a great run stopper and fill a hole well.

Part 2:

Asked about the return game, Pelini said: "We haven't done anything live yet, but they are catching the ball well and doing all that ... We know we have athleticism back there."

Guys who might be in the running to return kicks are Prince Amukamara, Niles Paul, Larry Asante and Roy Helu.

Marcus Mendoza and Nate Swift could also have a shot at returning punts.

"We're working a lot of guys through both in kickoffs and punt returns. Time will tell on that," Pelini said.

Senior Matt O'Hanlon is a guy who seems in contention to earn some playing time at safety.

"He's got some ability," Pelini said. "He's a guy that we're trying to force feed to step up and be a player."

Asked if he was downtown checking on players at the bars earlier this week, Pelini just smiled and said: "I dunno. Maybe."

Link