saturday 4/12/08

Helu continues to raise eyebrows

Roy Helu put a charge into Saturday's practice when he bolted 57 yards for a touchdown against the first-string defense during a 40-minute scrimmage at the tail end of the workout.

The 6-foot, 215-pound sophomore took a delay handoff, exploded up the middle and juked at least one defender to get to the outside. He then sprinted into the end zone.

"I'm seeing a guy who's explosive," Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said of Helu. "We had a couple missed fits on the run, and he took advantage. Then he got into the secondary and made a couple guys miss. He's a heck of a football player, and I've seen it since day one of spring. It's fun to watch the guy play."

Nebraska has completed 11 of 15 spring practices. The annual Red-White Spring Game is set for next Saturday.

Pelini was upbeat Saturday in his post-practice meeting with reporters. He watched the first-string defense fail to give up any long pass plays, with safety Rickey Thenarse and cornerback Armando Murillo making nice plays to knock down deep passes.

"Both sides of the football are coming along," Pelini said. "We're doing some good things. It's very similar to how we've been practicing. A lot of great competition. A lot of different guys stepping up and making plays.

"They're flying around with a good attitude on both sides of the ball. They're playing hard and we're making progress. I like what I see out of the team right now."

Sophomore guard Keith Williams (shoulder) and sophomore wideout Will Henry (hamstring) both sat out the practice. Receiver Curenski Gilleylen appeared to suffer a hamstring injury during the practice. None of the injuries appear to be serious.

More later.

Link

I worry about Castille not liking his role this year. It damm well looks like he may just be a situational runner (i.e., short yardage back) instead of getting major carries like I am sure he is expecting.

Lucky is Lucky. Helu has been nothing short of phenomenal this spring. How do you take carries away from either?

I worry about Castille not liking his role this year. It damm well looks like he may just be a situational runner (i.e., short yardage back) instead of getting major carries like I am sure he is expecting.

Lucky is Lucky. Helu has been nothing short of phenomenal this spring. How do you take carries away from either?

compitition brings out the best inm people, hopefully Q, picks up the pace and holds on to the ball

A few final scrimmage notes

Joe Ganz was sharp and in command. He threw a couple of excellent passes. He's very comfortable as a leader, and the guys really respond to him.

I'd like to see how good sophomore Quentin Castille would become if he ran with a big-time nasty streak -- I mean, I'd like to see him really cut it loose. He did peel off a couple of nice runs. He's obviously a load to bring down at 6-1, 235 pounds (he's down about 15-20 pounds from last season, he says). I've always favored big running backs.

The starting safeties (Larry Asante and Rickey Thenarse) seemed to set the tone on "D" on this day. Very physical safeties. VERY physical.

Cody Glenn . . . his move to WLB is the story of the spring. But you knew that.

After Helu's 57-yard run, it was great to see the offensive linemen chugging to the end zone to congratulate the surging sophomore. The linemen clearly were pleased with themselves as they returned to the sideline. You see confidence in that unit. By the way, they seemed to hold up well in pass-pro.

I like the way Helu goes about his business: A quiet, no-nonsense kid. He's noticeably stronger.

The starting o-line, if the season started today: Lydon Murtha at LT, Mike Huff at LG, Jacob Hickman at C, Matt Slauson at RG and Jaivorio Burkes at RT. That's obviously a huge right side.

The No. 2 o-line appears to be (some of these guys switch positions at times, so don't hold me to this): Mike Smith LT, Keith Williams LG, Mike Caputo C, D.J. Jones at RG, Marcel Jones at RT. Cruz Barrett was seeing times with the twos at guard with Williams sidelined by a shoulder injury that doesn't appear to be serious.

Caputo, although only 6-1, 270, is one feisty son of a gun. He's a redshirt freshman walk-on from Millard North.

I don't know if it's always this way, but the first-string LBers for most of Saturday were junior Phillip Dillard at MLB, senior Tyler Wortman at SLB (Buck) and Glenn. That set, of course, is subject to change.

Walk-on tight end Dreu Young made a beautiful over-the-shoulder grab for a long gain. I like the athleticism of Mike McNeill and Young at TE.

The overall energy on both sidelines was great to see.

Link

So...if Helu is really tearing it up so well, why is it that Lucky is the presumed starter? I don't mean to get down on him, but I've scarcely heard a peep about him all spring. Or are we just supposed to assume that Lucky really is outdoing Helu, and that the news about the younger guys is just something to keep an eye on for later?

So...if Helu is really tearing it up so well, why is it that Lucky is the presumed starter? I don't mean to get down on him, but I've scarcely heard a peep about him all spring. Or are we just supposed to assume that Lucky really is outdoing Helu, and that the news about the younger guys is just something to keep an eye on for later?

Probably has something to do with Lucky being a proven runner, one of the best in the B12 and one of the better returning starting RBs in the country?

Helu has played his ass off this spring, but practice is practice. Get him on the field and let him prove it like Lucky has already done in his career. If he does, he'll likely go into his junior year as the presumed starter.

Probably has something to do with Lucky being a proven runner, one of the best in the B12 and one of the better returning starting RBs in the country?

Helu has played his ass off this spring, but practice is practice. Get him on the field and let him prove it like Lucky has already done in his career. If he does, he'll likely go into his junior year as the presumed starter.

Sure, sure, but we all worship at the same church. The church of What Have You Done for Me Lately? Part of the reason for these camps both now and later is to put a roster together with little numbers like 1, 2, and 3 on it, and while I never seriously thought Helu would be the starter, it's strange to hear absolutely nothing about Lucky all spring and plenty about his stud backup.

Sure, sure, but we all worship at the same church. The church of What Have You Done for Me Lately? Part of the reason for these camps both now and later is to put a roster together with little numbers like 1, 2, and 3 on it, and while I never seriously thought Helu would be the starter, it's strange to hear absolutely nothing about Lucky all spring and plenty about his stud backup.

And what has Helu done for the team lately as compared to Lucky?

Exactly.

It isn't close. Lucky is the guy and will be the guy barring injury.

I wonder if he could follow the castille path to the defensive side of the ball. a guy with his size speed and love of contact would be a good LB. I know that would leave us without a big RB for short yardage. I wouldnt be surprised to see something like this, esp if he continues to fumble