What kind of QB would you prefer??

I like a quarterback that can complete a pass to an open receiver, yet can tuck it and run for a first down if nothing is available. Daunte Culpepper is the type I like, he is a big strong armed smart quarterback who just so happens to be pretty good when he tucks the ball and runs it. McNabb is great as well and relying on his running ability less as a crutch and using it as an added benefit to his great quarterback play.

As a coach, I look for the following things for a quarterback,

1. Must be a leader

- able to handle responsibility

- Doesn't get to "high" or too "low" drung game

2. Must have the instict to be a play maker

- ability to make something out of nothing

3. Must be one of "football" smartest guys on field

- 2nd "coach" if you will

4. Decent arm and escapability speed

5. Good decision making skills

These are what I look for, but then again, my teams haven't played for many high school championship either :wacko:

1. Must be a leader

2. Must have the instict to be a play maker

- ability to make something out of nothing

3. Must be one of "football" smartest guys on field

- 2nd "coach" if you will

4. Decent arm and escapability speed

5. Good decision making skills

These are what I look for, but then again, my teams haven't played for many high school championship either :wacko:

Good list HANC.

I would add toughness to that list too - need a guy who can take a hit and still get to his feet without being all swimmy-headed or intimidated. Someone who can make the pass even with a DE in his face at full tilt and not take his eyes off the target.

One thing I would change in your list though - it's hard to know who's a playmaker and who isn't unless things break down. However, a QB that sees the whole field, recognizes an opportunity, and then goes for it without hesitation is the kind of guy that will make plays out of nothing. So, I think I would put vision, decisiveness and alertness in lieu of "being a playmaker" just because it's easier to see and measure.

I think you've hit it spot on though - doesn't matter much if a QB is a pocket passer or run-first kind of guy or somewhere in between. The best qualities for a QB reside in the head, not the arms and legs.

Oh, and one note to Eric - I don't think that championships really gauge a QB very well. Not all championships are won by great QBs and not all great QBs win championships. Though I understand the idea, I think - the kind of QB I would want is one that has a winning attitude. One that doesn't quit and takes setbacks in stride without losing sight of the goal - to win.

IRISH!

1.  Must be a leader

2.  Must have the instict to be a play maker

-  ability to make something out of nothing

3.  Must be one of "football" smartest guys on field

-  2nd "coach" if you will

4.  Decent arm and escapability speed

5.  Good decision making skills

These are what I look for, but then again, my teams haven't played for many high school championship either  :wacko:

Good list HANC.

I would add toughness to that list too - need a guy who can take a hit and still get to his feet without being all swimmy-headed or intimidated. Someone who can make the pass even with a DE in his face at full tilt and not take his eyes off the target.

One thing I would change in your list though - it's hard to know who's a playmaker and who isn't unless things break down. However, a QB that sees the whole field, recognizes an opportunity, and then goes for it without hesitation is the kind of guy that will make plays out of nothing. So, I think I would put vision, decisiveness and alertness in lieu of "being a playmaker" just because it's easier to see and measure.

IRISH!

We are on the same page Irish......

Good and correct (in my opinion) addtions to the post.

Let's hope NU has one of these guys in their stable of QB's :cheers

My ideal quarterback for the new style of Neb's offense would be a pro-style throwing qb. along with being able to throw, good decision making, clock management, and leadership will also be good attributes. I know you cant have a running/throwing qb in one package, so a qb that can throw, will have trouble in blitz situations, but during a blitz the defense leaves zones open and a good throwing qb will find them b4 the blitz reaches him.

Simply one that checks off his receivers downfield instead of locking on just one man, which we saw a lot of this year. One that can be comfortable running the offense they are supposed to, can scramble to some extent but has good pocket presence, and that can throw a catchable pass. Can't ask for much more than that. We don't need a human highlight reel, just someone that can get the job done.

I couldn't care less about anything except wins. A QB's career is based off of one thing only and that's the amount of championships he has won.

I think that is stupid. Peyton manning is the best qb probably ever and has never ever won a national title or nfl title. A good qb can't win a title by himself.