The Tide are talkin about our spring game sellout

Nate

The other thing about Bama is that they were one of the last teams to incorporate black players on their team ...back in the day. The Bear went thru a down cycle until they did.

And I can see why they didnt want to play us in the Devaney years since the last time we played them we beat them like 45-13 in the Orange Bowl for the NC and I think Johnny the Jet got the Heisman that year.

I never disliked them back then though under Bear, but now w Coach 'Bling' I dont like them so much, well, it's not their fans or the players, its just Satan I guess...I mean, does anybody like satan?(dont answer that you freaks!--rhetorical Q).

And, I think ISU will more and more become a contender in the Big XII, I like Chizik alot...so it's only a matter of time for them... I would rather have ISU as Big Red's north rival, than the Puffs or the Zoo..

:restore

I think Chizik is an excellent coach, my only concern for ISU is whether he can beat the B12 and B10 in Iowa for recruits and can recruit enough out of state talent to legitimately compete for conference championships or simply be another team that rebuilds for a run every five years in order to compete for a top 2-3 spot in the North.

I think Chizik is an excellent coach, my only concern for ISU is whether he can beat the B12 and B10 in Iowa for recruits and can recruit enough out of state talent to legitimately compete for conference championships or simply be another team that rebuilds for a run every five years in order to compete for a top 2-3 spot in the North.

I think Chizik will be able to pull in some great recruits and become competitive at the upper level of the north division at least. OU and TX still r in the elite class of the Big XII in that regard, and i dont see anyone else in the conference getting to that level anytime soon. But ISU almost knocked off OU this last year.....there's the parity thing......

I think NE w Pelini will have a good chance of getting back to elite recruit status across the board, but the good news w Pelini is I think he has the ability to get more outta less...which is a Husker tradition...unlike Cali and crew who seemed to underachieve along those lines.

MO w Gabbert is gonna be a force to reckon w too..i predict...Gabbert looks like the real deal to me...

Technically Bama's sellout wasn't. You have to have something to sell to sell it out...giving it out free does not constitute selling a product.

Bama had nothing but a bunch of free loaders show up because there was nothing else going on in their pathetic state that day....no fishing tournaments, no watermelon roasts, no nothing....

Maybe they should try selling their tickets and see how many fans show up, besides, they need the money to support their football program anyway.

You know...I was going to post one of my patently smart ass comments here...until I realized that not only is the ISU spring game free...but they are also giving away free beer while supplies last.... <_<

:sarcasm and still will have a hard time getting 200 people to show up...thank God some of the players families live near by and they aren't putting in crops yet, huh? :cheers

Ha ha wise guy...Jack Trice Stadium will be FULL on Saturday and you know why? Huh? Huh? Do ya? Free beer?

uh...because they are only opening the East grand stand because of construction on the west side (I suspect they are still working on installing the ejector seats they want to have installed before the KU home game...) and, rumor has it only Gate One wil be open for the fans...but, by golly, it'll LOOK packed anyway... <_<

By the way...anyone that wants to find out if ISU can manage to actually beat itself are welcome to tune into the game at 1460 KXNO am radio...uh...as long as you live within a 5 mile radius of Des Moines. KXNO is kind of the like KSU...kind of loud and obnoxious around home but lacking any power at all when they get outside of town....

The other thing about Bama is that they were one of the last teams to incorporate black players on their team ...back in the day. The Bear went thru a down cycle until they did.

And I can see why they didnt want to play us in the Devaney years since the last time we played them we beat them like 45-13 in the Orange Bowl for the NC and I think Johnny the Jet got the Heisman that year.

I never disliked them back then though under Bear, but now w Coach 'Bling' I dont like them so much, well, it's not their fans or the players, its just Satan I guess...I mean, does anybody like satan?(dont answer that you freaks!--rhetorical Q).

And, I think ISU will more and more become a contender in the Big XII, I like Chizik alot...so it's only a matter of time for them... I would rather have ISU as Big Red's north rival, than the Puffs or the Zoo..

You mean 38-6 in '72? (after the '71 season)

Or the time they beat us 39-28 6 years before that when I was in Kindergarten?

Saban?

Anybody not working at ESPN that can piss off half of the SEC is OK in my book.

Saban?

yeah, the 38-6 game w bama back in 71'72...i had confused that score w a NE/Notre game score ina bowl around that time period

Hmmm. No flames intended, 'zE bOp'. Indeed, our Crimson Tide went through a down cycle, under Coach Bryant, in the late '60s. However, he was not one of the last to recruit Blacks. Back in the day, "Jim Crow" laws prohibited state schools, in the South, from even playing opponents with Black players. While those problems slowly eroded, coaches across the South awaited Coach Bryant's lead, to give them political cover to recruit Blacks. As athletic director, he scheduled a game, in Birmingham, with USCal led by his friend, Coach John McKay. As now, the Trojans were a powerhouse with many Black stars, including Sam Cunningham. Please, may I refererence a little history in wikipedia:

He had a notable performance against an all-white University of Alabama football team 42-21 at Birmingham on September 12, 1970. His performance in the game was reportedly a factor in convincing the University of Alabama and its fans to let Coach Bear Bryant integrate Southern football. Jerry Claiborne, a Bryant assistant, said, "Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King did in 20 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cunningham

I note that 'AZ4NE1' has corrected your misconception of Bama not wanting to play your Cornhuskers in the Devaney years. During Coach Devaney's era at Nebraska 1962-1972, we played y'all 3 times, all in bowl games. Bowl games in which Coach Bryant "assisted" in selecting the strongest opponent available. A victory by the Tide in the bowl game was to position them for the national championship. More history:

Alabama 39 - Nebraska 28, Jan 1, 1966 Orange Bowl

The Tide would gain an amazing 518 yards of total offense in this 39-28 Orange Bowl victory over the Cornhuskers to close the 1965 season. Alabama would open the scoring with a 21 yard Steve Sloan touchdown pass to Ray Perkins in the first. In the second, the Tide would score on a 4 yard Leslie Kelley touchdown run, on an 11 yard Sloan touchdown pass to Perkins, and on an 18 yard David Ray field goal. Steve Bowman would score Bama's final pair of touchdowns on a 1 yard run in the third and on a 3 yard run in the fourth. The 1965 squad finished 9-1-1, as SEC champions, as national champions, and with a victory in the Orange Bowl for Coach Bryant.

Alabama 34 - Nebraska 7, Jan 2, 1967 Sugar Bowl

After an undefeated regular season, which included 6 shutouts, the Crimson Tide took on the Nebraska Cornhuskers in the 1967 Sugar Bowl. The game was a rematch from the Orange Bowl the year before in which Alabama won clinching the National Title. And although the Tide did prevail convincingly 34-7 in this contest a third straight National Title was not to be. Coach Bryant said after the game of his team that it was "the greatest team he had ever seen." Alabama got on the scoreboard early scoring 17 first quarter points. Les Kelly scored the first touchdown with a 1 yard run. The second touchdown came with Kenny Stabler ran the option and took it in from 14 yards out. Steve Davis would cap the scoring from the quarter with a 30 yard field goal. Bama would tack on a 6 yard touchdown run from Wayne Trimble to go up 24-0 at halftime. Davis scored his second field goal of the game in the third quarter from 40 yard out. Nebraska finally got on the scoreboard in the fourth but Stabler connected with Ray Perkins for a 45 yard touchdown pass late in the game to seal the game for Alabama and provide more controversy for the national championship selectors. Even with this Sugar Bowl victory, the 1966 squad would not finish the season as national champions, but nevertheless finished 11-0 and as SEC champions for Coach Bryant.

[Note from banjeaUX: IMO, regional prejudice over segregation resulted in our Crimson Tide's failure, in their quest for a three-peat as national champions. Injustice?]

Alabama 6 - Nebraska 38, Jan 1, 1972 Orange Bowl

Alabama was playing for Coach Bryant's fourth national championship against Nebraska in the 1972 Orange Bowl. However, the Cornhuskers put an end to that bid with this 38-6 destruction of the Tide. Bama's only points came in the third on a 3 yard Terry Davis touchdown run. The 1971 squad would finish the season with a record of 11-1, as SEC champions, and with a loss in the Orange Bowl for Coach Bryant.

http://bryantmuseum.ua.edu/direction.cfm?d...ames&type=1

Saban?

yeah, the 38-6 game w bama back in 71'72...i had confused that score w a NE/Notre game score ina bowl around that time period.