Treu to Nebraska

Ken Hambleton: Ex-Husker Treu still true to NU, his coach

Tools SponsorThursday, Apr 24, 2008 - 11:10:42 pm CDT

It wasn't like Adam Treu sold lawn darts and lead-filled toys to small children.

He just feels like he did.

A couple of years ago, he simply told a couple of friends back in Nebraska that he thought Bill Callahan would be a good coach.

"I feel I gave Bill my stamp of approval and it didn't work out," Treu said. "I feel bad about that. I was a Lincoln kid. A Husker. And Bill didn't work out at Nebraska. I feel bad about that. I feel bad for him as a human being at the end. He's not a bad man."

Treu wasn't alone.

A lot of people endorsed Callahan. It's too bad he turned out to be the 21st century version of Marie Antoinette and Steve Pederson the local version of Louis XVI.

Treu, who played for the Huskers, Lincoln Pius X and the Oakland Raiders, was close to Callahan. He wants to stay in touch with the former Husker coach, too.

Treu, who retired last year from the NFL after 10 years with the Raiders, still lives in Alameda, Calif. He was back in Lincoln, along with more than 200 former Huskers, for the NU Spring Game last weekend.

"I tried calling Bill a lot of times," Treu said.

Callahan was gone from Nebraska, with $3.5 million from the NU athletic department and a new job with the New York Jets, before he returned Treu's call.

And then, they missed connections.

"I thought he might want to hear a friendly voice," Treu said as the state celebrated the inauguration of new head coach Bo Pelini.

Treu had a special relationship with Callahan.

He played for Callahan when he was the Raiders' assistant coach and, eventually, head coach. Treu started at center in the Super Bowl in 2003 when Barret Robbins had a mental meltdown.

Treu started 44 games and by the spring of 2007 was the longest-tenured Raider. But he suffered a torn quadriceps that ended his playing career. He was a deep snapper supreme and a special-teams standout. He even had a kickoff return and a handful of tackles. Something not many centers can say.

Oakland owner Al Davis said of Treu: "In the excellence of the Oakland Raiders over the last 10 years, Adam has certainly made an indelible contribution."

Treu said he wouldn't mind coming back to Lincoln with his wife, Tracy, and their three children to teach and, maybe, coach. He just hopes people understand his original support for Callahan, who some consider a four-year case of the flu around Nebraska.

In January of 2004, Husker athletic director Pederson, another memory that can't fade fast enough for some folks, was searching to replace Frank Solich, who had just been fired after a 9-3 season.

Pederson spent a lot of money on private jet fuel travelling to Fayetteville, Ark., Dallas and Kansas City, Mo., before he turned to Callahan.

Treu and former Husker John Parrella, who also played for Callahan in Oakland, both gave eager endorsements.

So did Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, former Husker defensive coaching legend Charlie McBride, Wisconsin head coach and former Husker Barry Alvarez and a lot of fans, bloggers and chat-roomers, and ticket buyers.

"I really like Bo," Treu said. "He's got the door wide open for all the former lettermen. He's got a lot of support and he's got a lot of leeway because he really makes people feel good.

"He's doing all the right things. He was hired by Tom Osborne. That says a lot right there. I feel great about the situation around here right now and there are 200 other guys here this weekend who believe the same thing."

"I feel I gave Bill my stamp of approval and it didn't work out," Treu said. "I feel bad about that. I was a Lincoln kid. A Husker. And Bill didn't work out at Nebraska. I feel bad about that. I feel bad for him as a human being at the end. He's not a bad man."

Sure, Adam. Calllllllahan won't return your calls, and you consider him a friend, and he won't put a good word in for his former players to help get them into the NFL. It sounds like typical Calllllllahan blaming others for his shortcomings.

Sure, Adam. Calllllllahan won't return your calls, and you consider him a friend, and he won't put a good word in for his former players to help get them into the NFL. It sounds like typical Calllllllahan blaming others for his shortcomings.

Reportedly, Houston Nutt called the Bears during the draft and begged them to draft one of his former players (which they did). I can only imagine the culture change going on in Fayetteville.