Nebraska Fullbacks

perhaps it is beating a dead horse, but it strikes me that Quinton (Sp?) Castille should be a fullback/setbak and on the field with Lucky (or Helu) on nearly every snap. Thus, when you want a single back set you move Lucky/Helu to a receiver and keep Castille back as a lone setback.

Last year we gave away what we were doing just by the personnel on the field --- if we pulled the Lucky and brought in an extra WR leaving a FB in we passed 95% of the time. This way, with the use of Helu/Lucky as a RB in most snaps and as an extra WR in other snaps (with Castille back there all the time), then there is no personnel switch, either a 1 RB or a 2 RB set can be used with a simple shift, and there is always a running threat even when 3 WR's are in in what looks, overtly, to be a passing down. And, of course, you have Castille and Lucky/helu out there at the same time. Seems to make sense --- in fact as well it also utilizes our RB talant better too --- have Castille/Okafor/Lawson as the FB/setback and Lucky/Helu/Mendoza as the RB/scatback (RB at times/extra WR at other times --- mimicing somewhat the way USC used Reggie Bush back in their heyday).

perhaps it is beating a dead horse, but it strikes me that Quinton (Sp?) Castille should be a fullback/setbak and on the field with Lucky (or Helu) on nearly every snap. Thus, when you want a single back set you move Lucky/Helu to a receiver and keep Castille back as a lone setback.

Last year we gave away what we were doing just by the personnel on the field --- if we pulled the Lucky and brought in an extra WR leaving a FB in we passed 95% of the time. This way, with the use of Helu/Lucky as a RB in most snaps and as an extra WR in other snaps (with Castille back there all the time), then there is no personnel switch, either a 1 RB or a 2 RB set can be used with a simple shift, and there is always a running threat even when 3 WR's are in in what looks, overtly, to be a passing down. And, of course, you have Castille and Lucky/helu out there at the same time. Seems to make sense --- in fact as well it also utilizes our RB talant better too --- have Castille/Okafor/Lawson as the FB/setback and Lucky/Helu/Mendoza as the RB/scatback (RB at times/extra WR at other times --- mimicing somewhat the way USC used Reggie Bush back in their heyday).

I agree with this philosophy for the most part. However, I believe Helu is a true RB and is unlike Lucky, who is about 80% RB and 20% WR.

I agree with this philosophy for the most part. However, I believe Helu is a true RB and is unlike Lucky, who is about 80% RB and 20% WR.

Good point --- that may indeed be the case about Helu. But the kid does have the running skills. If his hands are good then he could be good in the role too. Or maybe mendoza (though his fielding of kicks was a bit well... --- then again 18 years old and in front of 80K fans for the first time so... perhaps nerves).