Pelini faces uphill battle at Nebraska

hack

I think he hits pretty spot on. Population is the key to good recruiting. We do not have the numbers so there fore we must reach out to pick the top kids.

Getting them to come here is not an easy task. We have very little to offer at this time. WE are not a National Power and have not been for a very long time. We gained National recognition for our booing fans last year, something that was thougt to be impossible.

Bo has a major job, there is no question. No matter the thoughts he does not have the talent to play with the top 20 teams in the country. WE have finished just about where the talking heads have said for the last 4-5 years. Maybe we should listen to what they say and learn from them. Loyalty is great, but this is not poker, You have to have the cards to win this game. But the major concern about this team in my mind is heart. If they develop it, they have a chance to be pretty good. VaTech will tell us what we have and what Coach Pelini has to face. No more we are going to beat SC to a pulp, no more NC screams breaking the huddle. Just put it on the line and let the chips fall where they may. '

I think we are in for a tough couple of years. But look at what Kansas did last year with kids that supposedly did not have talent. Heart and loyalty made them winners. It can happen here, but I honestly have my doubts it will happen this year.

that last paragraph killed your entire argument up to that point. "look at what kansas did last year". look at their projections for this year. they've been on the upswing for the last few years, and now it's coming to a head.

with bo, nebraska is going to be recruiting the the early 90's era on defense again, athletic lb's and de's. also, we're gonna go back to recruiting character again. no more hype, just pure evaluation by our administration, not websites.

uphill as it may seem, the battle to bo isn't that steep.

Never say never was my point.

Look at it this way, would Bo have it easier at LSU, Tenn, SC, Auburn, Alabama, Texas, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma and the list goes on.

He took a very tough job, a job that most expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat this year. What happens if and I say if we get the sh-t kicked out of us by VaTech, how many of our proven less than stellar attitudes will re appear?. You actually think the team will be ready for Missouri, for one reason and one only, because they do not play well here. That is a load of crap, Missouri will come in here knowing we just got our teeth kicked in and will run the field on us. Likewise with Kansas. This is a game about heart, this team has never shown it has any.

Let Bo have the expectations he sees realistic. The fans should do the same. This is not a top 15 team no matter how much we know about our team. The talent is not there, the heart left last year.

I think Bo will get it done, but I do not feel there is a realistic chance this year. I hope to eat the largest serving of crow around, but this team has a lot of problems and a long ways to go to correct them.

But if we win that game, then anything is possible for the rest of the season. They bought in and saw if first hand what can happen.

See Kansas.

If there is a coach that can make them turn the corner, I think it is Bo, but after what I saw last year, I think it is too much to ask in a year. Maybe three.

Nebraska cannot reach out to stack its program with local talent like schools in California, Texas and the South can. Like in the old days, Pelini and his staff will need to get into California and the Chicago area among others.

Hmmm...how many California guys were on the roster of National Champion LSU....1? How about their opponent Ohio State....1?

Wow...that state must be loaded with "local talent"..... <_<

Uhh... Louisiana and Ohio ARE loaded with local talent. Mind you, they don't have as much of it as the big 3 (California, Texas, and Florida), but they're both amidst the leaders of the second tier (somewhere between 4th and 10th nationally every year).

Check last season's production:

Louisiana - 11 four star recruits, 26 three star

Ohio - 3 five star recruits, 14 four star, 33 (possibly more, the list cuts off at 50) three star

Now let's compare that to Nebraska:

1 five star, 1 four star, 5 three star. That's it. Seven Nebraska players that would be seen as viable prospects by most programs in the country as opposed to 37 for Louisiana and 50+ for Ohio.

Oh, and if your intended point was only that California doesn't have any local talent... uhh, well... I'd like to direct you to the recent successes of USC as well as the fact that last year the state produced 40 four and five star recruits. Just because they didn't happen to go to LSU or Ohio (who as noted above, have plenty of top shelf recruits in state to keep themselves successful) doesn't mean that California doesn't crank out top quality athletes better than almost any other region in the country.

My apologies for poo pooing on your sarcasm parade, but if you're going to make a comment like that you should probably check the statistics beforehand to make sure that your implicit point is actually a valid one. :thumbs

Hmmm...how many California guys were on the roster of National Champion LSU....1? How about their opponent Ohio State....1?

Wow...that state must be loaded with "local talent"..... <_<

Uhh... Louisiana and Ohio ARE loaded with local talent. Mind you, they don't have as much of it as the big 3 (California, Texas, and Florida), but they're both amidst the leaders of the second tier (somewhere between 4th and 10th nationally every year).

Check last season's production:

Louisiana - 11 four star recruits, 26 three star

Ohio - 3 five star recruits, 14 four star, 33 (possibly more, the list cuts off at 50) three star

Now let's compare that to Nebraska:

1 five star, 1 four star, 5 three star. That's it. Seven Nebraska players that would be seen as viable prospects by most programs in the country as opposed to 37 for Louisiana and 50+ for Ohio.

Oh, and if your intended point was only that California doesn't have any local talent... uhh, well... I'd like to direct you to the recent successes of USC as well as the fact that last year the state produced 40 four and five star recruits. Just because they didn't happen to go to LSU or Ohio (who as noted above, have plenty of top shelf recruits in state to keep themselves successful) doesn't mean that California doesn't crank out top quality athletes better than almost any other region in the country.

My apologies for poo pooing on your sarcasm parade, but if you're going to make a comment like that you should probably check the statistics beforehand to make sure that your implicit point is actually a valid one. :thumbs

A story I read in the Lincoln paper back in the early 90's:

The writer was interviewing one of the people who assigns stars to HS players. The writer mentioned that TO was interested in a certain player. The guy said, "Oh, yeah?" Walked over to the board and raised the guy up something like 6 slots. Granted this was when rating was in its infancy, but it shows the arbitrary nature of the job. On the other hand 7 vs 50 does show a HUGE gap, even if they are off 50% (flip a coin)

I think he hits pretty spot on. Population is the key to good recruiting. We do not have the numbers so there fore we must reach out to pick the top kids.

Getting them to come here is not an easy task. We have very little to offer at this time. WE are not a National Power and have not been for a very long time. We gained National recognition for our booing fans last year, something that was thougt to be impossible.

Bo has a major job, there is no question. No matter the thoughts he does not have the talent to play with the top 20 teams in the country. WE have finished just about where the talking heads have said for the last 4-5 years. Maybe we should listen to what they say and learn from them. Loyalty is great, but this is not poker, You have to have the cards to win this game. But the major concern about this team in my mind is heart. If they develop it, they have a chance to be pretty good. VaTech will tell us what we have and what Coach Pelini has to face. No more we are going to beat SC to a pulp, no more NC screams breaking the huddle. Just put it on the line and let the chips fall where they may. '

I think we are in for a tough couple of years. But look at what Kansas did last year with kids that supposedly did not have talent. Heart and loyalty made them winners. It can happen here, but I honestly have my doubts it will happen this year.

that last paragraph killed your entire argument up to that point. "look at what kansas did last year". look at their projections for this year. they've been on the upswing for the last few years, and now it's coming to a head.

with bo, nebraska is going to be recruiting the the early 90's era on defense again, athletic lb's and de's. also, we're gonna go back to recruiting character again. no more hype, just pure evaluation by our administration, not websites.

uphill as it may seem, the battle to bo isn't that steep.

Oh crap, I hope you are not insinuating that in the early 90's we recruited based on character. This opens an entirely new can of worms that I don't think we need to visit. We all vividly remember the character issues of players on the NC teams.

As far as KU goes, Mangino was on the hotseat last year. Their AD publicly stated that if KU didn't make a bowl game in 2007 then Mangino was more than likely done there. The point I believe skers was trying to make is that we play the game because who knows what will happen. If OU's QB has a similar sophomore slump as McCoy did at Texas, they may not be nearly as good as they were in 2007. If Reesing or Daniels get hurt, KU and Mizzou won't have nearly as good of season as they're predicted to have. At this point, we could have a losing season or we could have an amazing season.

I do agree that Bo doesn't believe the hill is too steep. I hope he's right.