Lucky Starting?

Will Lucky start from day one?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm personally of the opinion that Marlon Lucky should be our opening day Running Back. I understand that Ross has done a good job, and that we have a bunch of other quality backs, but if we want to really make an impact in the Big 12 we need to do something different. Lucky is the prototype WCO RB, he has great speed and quickness, is big enough to take a beating and control the clock, and most importantly is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. We'd lose some in terms of experience, especially with guys like Zac Taylor already looking like starters, but we'll gain a lot in terms of skill/production. That's just my opinion.

It's hard to say at this point if he will start or not, but the kid has some sick skills. I wouldn't be surprised if we used him a lot as a receiver out of the backfield this year. With Ross and Lucky, I think we could come at them in a bunch of ways out of the backfield.

Lucky won't start, but he will probably get a lot of playing time. It never hurts to have too many weapons, and with this kid and Ross and Jackson we will not be hurting for talent at running back. With an improved passing attack, bigger holes will be opened up for the ground attack too. I look for about 2500 yards of rushing from our corp of running backs.

All this talk make me ask a question: When was the last time, if ever, a true freshman Nebraska running back came in and started right off the bat? I know Green played a lot in '95, but that was a few games into the season, and it wouldn't have happended had Phillips not been such an idiot. So has a true frosh even just came in and won the starting running back job outright?

Green didn't start until mid season. I think when LP got in trouble Clinton Childs came in, Jay Sims and Damon Benning each started a game I believe, and Ahman ended up winning it.

If Lucky is up to the hype, he may start, but I doubt he will. Ross is our best back since Ahman Green, I have no problem saying that. Dan Alexander, Correll Buckhalter, Dahrran Diedrick, they were all good, but Ross just has that level of heart and loyalty to his team that makes him head and shoulders above the rest. If you look, I'm pretty sure he was the only one to rush for 100 on Oklahoma's defense this year (unless USC's boys came in and did it...not sure) and I think he could seriously be a Heisman contender next year (assuming he gets the carries). I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Williams-Brown effect being put to use next year, in other words, a much improved version of what we tried to do in 2003 (with Davis and Horne) before Ross became the starter. C-4 is a senior next year and should be a captain. He showed us a lot this year and there's no way we leave him out to dry getting back-ups carries. Keep in mind, Lucky ain't gonna be able to do what he did in high school right away. He's gonna need some time to develop and transition into college play. The best way is getting him about 10 carries a game, mixing him and man-child in with Ross (don't discout man-child either, he did a helluva job as a true frosh this year), and letting him develop that way. If he shows that he can do amazing things and Ross isn't up to par with him, then sure. But I doubt it, Ross is a guy who's been in college 5 years and is tested and proven. One things for sure though...we don't need to be passing the ball 45 times a game this year, even with a QB that can do it.

Green didn't start until mid season. I think when LP got in trouble Clinton Childs came in, Jay Sims and Damon Benning each started a game I believe, and Ahman ended up winning it.

If Lucky is up to the hype, he may start, but I doubt he will. Ross is our best back since Ahman Green, I have no problem saying that. Dan Alexander, Correll Buckhalter, Dahrran Diedrick, they were all good, but Ross just has that level of heart and loyalty to his team that makes him head and shoulders above the rest. If you look, I'm pretty sure he was the only one to rush for 100 on Oklahoma's defense this year (unless USC's boys came in and did it...not sure) and I think he could seriously be a Heisman contender next year (assuming he gets the carries). I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Williams-Brown effect being put to use next year, in other words, a much improved version of what we tried to do in 2003 (with Davis and Horne) before Ross became the starter. C-4 is a senior next year and should be a captain. He showed us a lot this year and there's no way we leave him out to dry getting back-ups carries. Keep in mind, Lucky ain't gonna be able to do what he did in high school right away. He's gonna need some time to develop and transition into college play. The best way is getting him about 10 carries a game, mixing him and man-child in with Ross (don't discout man-child either, he did a helluva job as a true frosh this year), and letting him develop that way. If he shows that he can do amazing things and Ross isn't up to par with him, then sure. But I doubt it, Ross is a guy who's been in college 5 years and is tested and proven. One things for sure though...we don't need to be passing the ball 45 times a game this year, even with a QB that can do it.

Great points. :worship

Are you kidding me? Ross starts and Lucky wil get some carries and some catches. This is what I was afraid of. Everybody thinks that these new kids wil come in and save the day for next year. GIVE THEM TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ross was our gut and soul of that team last year. And by the way he is pretty damn good. When was our last 1000 yrd rusher? And we threw the ball this year!!!! :wtf:wtf:wtf

While Lucky's skills are considerable, I don't see him starting - at least not until deep into the season. Ross is an excellent back, and quite capable. But more importantly, Ross knows the blocking schemes.

Look at Oklahoma. No one can deny the skills a certain freshman back for that school had, but he didn't start for a number of games. The reason? He couldn't be left in when they needed to pass, as he didn't have enough experience to pick up the blitz.

Lucky is in the same position - excellent skills that need a dash of experience. Until he learns the blitz pick-ups, I don't see him starting. And learning those will take time.