Carl Pelini: Hokies 'great measuring stick'

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...c0656196183.txt

You know, I think we've heard that term "measuring stick" used extensively the past two seasons to describe another marquee non-conference opponent... <_< hey, third time's the charm, right?

True, but I do think this time we'll come closer to measuring up.

Close, but no cigar.

We'll likely hang with VTach for a while, but I'd doubt we'll have much of a shot at victory. But you are right, it should not be the monster epic mismatch of the USC games.

You know, I think we've heard that term "measuring stick" used extensively the past two seasons to describe another marquee non-conference opponent... <_< hey, third time's the charm, right?

Close, but no cigar.

We'll likely hang with VTach for a while, but I'd doubt we'll have much of a shot at victory. But you are right, it should not be the monster epic mismatch of the USC games.

The good news is our defense will only have to worry about a pimply-faced quarterback, a third or fourth string running back, no wide receivers to speak of, and home field advantage. If we were ever set to knock off a highly-rated team, the VA Tech game is it. They don't have USC depth on offense where it matters most.

Close, but no cigar.

The good news is our defense will only have to worry about a pimply-faced quarterback, a third or fourth string running back, no wide receivers to speak of, and home field advantage. If we were ever set to knock off a highly-rated team, the VA Tech game is it. They don't have USC depth on offense where it matters most.

And that's precisely why, if NU wins this game, the media will downplay the win.

Close, but no cigar.

good lord why am I the only one I know that thinks Nebraska will win that game ?

VT has advantage in special teams, no doubt ... they also have Tyrod Taylor who scares the heck out of me.. but honestly , is there more they have that I'm missing ??

NU has home field , a better offense , and we all know the D will be better because they'll be flying to the ball and giving 110 % every down. Home field might neutralize VT special teams..

seriously , what's the line going to be in that game ? i'd say NU by 3

good lord why am I the only one I know that thinks Nebraska will win that game ?

VT has advantage in special teams, no doubt ... they also have Tyrod Taylor who scares the heck out of me.. but honestly , is there more they have that I'm missing ??

NU has home field , a better offense , and we all know the D will be better because they'll be flying to the ball and giving 110 % every down. Home field might neutralize VT special teams..

I would guess that the line will be VT by at least 3. I'd be stunned if NU is favored. And, it is not so much what VT has (though they are likely a solid top 20 team, maybe top 15 --- who knows -- talk is that they will be down from their previous level of play, and, if so, they still should be fringe top 25 anyway). rather, it is what NU has (or rather has not).

NU comes in with a defense that was near the worst in all of NCAA football --- and 7 of their starters from that defense are gone (among them at least 3 or 4 of the top 5 or 6 we had on defense). Yes, expect 100% effort and expect better coaching from that defense. But.... talent. The LB's are inexperienced and slow. The DL has not a single proven talent on the crew (yes, one could argue that as a freshman that DE Barry Turner showed promise --- but since then? --- and Suh, potential sure, performance, no). At best NU will have a top 50 defense (that is, mid-lower to lower major conference-level defense). We need realize that NU's talent is #6 or 7 or so in the conference --- and such talent rarely beats a VT team --- even at home. Now, maybe the injuries and attrition has made it such that VT is not a typical VT team --- if so, there my be a chance. But VT should and will be favored.

Maybe we'll shock them. I do hope so. But if so --- well, it would be an upset.

I would guess that the line will be VT by at least 3. I'd be stunned if NU is favored. And, it is not so much what VT has (though they are likely a solid top 20 team, maybe top 15 --- who knows -- talk is that they will be down from their previous level of play, and, if so, they still should be fringe top 25 anyway). rather, it is what NU has (or rather has not).

NU comes in with a defense that was near the worst in all of NCAA football --- and 7 of their starters from that defense are gone (among them at least 3 or 4 of the top 5 or 6 we had on defense). Yes, expect 100% effort and expect better coaching from that defense. But.... talent. The LB's are inexperienced and slow. The DL has not a single proven talent on the crew (yes, one could argue that as a freshman that DE Barry Turner showed promise --- but since then? --- and Suh, potential sure, performance, no). At best NU will have a top 50 defense (that is, mid-lower to lower major conference-level defense). We need realize that NU's talent is #6 or 7 or so in the conference --- and such talent rarely beats a VT team --- even at home. Now, maybe the injuries and attrition has made it such that VT is not a typical VT team --- if so, there my be a chance. But VT should and will be favored.

Maybe we'll shock them. I do hope so. But if so --- well, it would be an upset.

you're "expect the worse-case-scenario guy" aren't you ? I know this because I'm the same way sometimes but I just don't get why seemingly everyone and their dog is marking that VT game down as a loss...I see that game's final score at like 13-10 or 14-13 or something like that ... i see your points on the Husker D though too..

Just a quick note, the two injured running backs, Kenny Lewis Jr. and Jahre Cheeseman, have been cleared for the start of fall practice on August 4th. All reports say that they're near 100%.

I'm willing to say that we'll probably be favored; whether or not we will deserve to be is a different matter. Most Tech fans think that we'll lose to FSU and to either you or Miami.

Good luck to everyone!

Just a quick note, the two injured running backs, Kenny Lewis Jr. and Jahre Cheeseman, have been cleared for the start of fall practice on August 4th. All reports say that they're near 100%.

I'm willing to say that we'll probably be favored; whether or not we will deserve to be is a different matter. Most Tech fans think that we'll lose to FSU and to either you or Miami.

Good luck to everyone!

Better us than an in-con opponent, especially the canes. I'd say it is pretty up-in-the-air how good we, FSU, or Miami will be.

I think we should be able to win this game. Now, the real question to me is will VT be undefeated when they play us? They could have a couple of bogeys by that point, ECU bout beat them last year, UNC should be an improving team, and GTech should be a challenge as well.