Freshmen Jersey #'s

On the other hand, there's plenty of random numbers in our receiver corps. It's weird...we got so few normal receiver numbers (by that I mean 80-89). Yeah, the 10-19 numbers aren't uncommon, but it just strikes me as odd:

Todd Peterson - #17

Chris Brooks - #1

Menelik Holt - #4

Niles Paul - #24

Curenski Gilleylen - #11

Tim Marlowe - #21

Cortney Osborne - #12, Steven Osborne - #26 (I'm not sure if they both play receiver)

Lester Ward - #14 (Not sure what he plays)

Nate Swift #87

Huh.

In college, WRs, DBs, LBs, RBs and sometimes DEs all have single digit or otherwise non-standard numbers. Personally, I think it is a cool feature that makes college football that much better than the NFL. Not as many rules and regulations preventing the players' personalities from showing.

Man, I thought #28 would've been a great number for Compton - I believe it was his HS number according to Scout, and heck 28 is a cool number for a linebacker to have :) 51 is so...common and boring. y'know?

On the other hand, there's plenty of random numbers in our receiver corps. It's weird...we got so few normal receiver numbers (by that I mean 80-89). Yeah, the 10-19 numbers aren't uncommon, but it just strikes me as odd:

Todd Peterson - #17

Chris Brooks - #1

Menelik Holt - #4

Niles Paul - #24

Curenski Gilleylen - #11

Tim Marlowe - #21

Cortney Osborne - #12, Steven Osborne - #26 (I'm not sure if they both play receiver)

Nate Swift #87

Huh.

Baker Steinkuhler is the new double nickel!

What do you guys think, is he going to redshirt this year? I'd say on the O-line almost certainly. It would make sense for him to play this year though if he's on the D-line.

I noticed that too. 55 is a defensive number. Yeah, it can be on the other side, but this just screams DT to me for some reason.

Not sure if you've heard the story about Desean Jackson and USC but... they say that he was a sure commit to the Trojans as long as he could wear the number 1. Well apparently, that number had been promised to Patrick Turner. Cal gives Desean #1 and he becomes a Golden Bear.

There aren't too many star players that wear 80's in college and even high school. 80's are too blah. Single digit and low numbers stick out. A lot of people may say that numbers don't matter but it's like that with most positions. Star WR's don't like 80's, Star RB's don't like 40's, Star QB's usually want 19 and under, Dline want 50's or 90's, DB's prefer low numbers too.

To be honest, I can't really think of too many college WR outside of Nate Swift that wear 80's. There's the Brian kid from Ohio St. but I can't even think of his full name.

Some recent stars include:

Cal

#1 Desean Jackson

Florida

#1 Percy Harvin

Michigan

#1 Braylon Edwards

Ohio St

#4 Santanio Holmes

#7 Ted Ginn Jr.

#11 Anthony Gonzalaz

Oklahoma

#4 Malcolm Kelly

Penn St

#1 Derrick Williams

Tennessee

#3 Robert Meachem

Texas

#4 Roy Williams and Limas Sweed

Texas Tech

#5 Mike Crabtree

#8 Joel Filani

USC

#1 Mike Williams and Patrick Turner

#8 Dewayne Jarrett

#2 Steve Smith

Virginia Tech

#4 Eddie Royal

Washington

#1 Reggie Williams

post-5385-1216818971.jpg

Single digit and low numbers stick out. A lot of people may say that numbers don't matter but it's like that with most positions.

Waaaay back in the day I was a DB. I still remember the look on my coach when I asked for the #13 jersey. He wanted to know why, I said I was going to be bad luck for the reciever.

It turned out to be bad luck for the chain gang since I always tripped them up because I never left the sidelines.

Man, I thought #28 would've been a great number for Compton - I believe it was his HS number according to Scout, and heck 28 is a cool number for a linebacker to have :) 51 is so...common and boring. y'know?

Todd Peterson - #17

Chris Brooks - #1

Menelik Holt - #4

Niles Paul - #24

Curenski Gilleylen - #11

Tim Marlowe - #21

Nate Swift #87

Huh.

What do you guys think, is he going to redshirt this year? I'd say on the O-line almost certainly. It would make sense for him to play this year though if he's on the D-line.

I noticed that too. 55 is a defensive number. Yeah, it can be on the other side, but this just screams DT to me for some reason.

Not sure if you've heard the story about Desean Jackson and USC but... they say that he was a sure commit to the Trojans as long as he could wear the number 1. Well apparently, that number had been promised to Patrick Turner. Cal gives Desean #1 and he becomes a Golden Bear.

There aren't too many star players that wear 80's in college and even high school. 80's are too blah. Single digit and low numbers stick out. A lot of people may say that numbers don't matter but it's like that with most positions. Star WR's don't like 80's, Star RB's don't like 40's, Star QB's usually want 19 and under, Dline want 50's or 90's, DB's prefer low numbers too.

To be honest, I can't really think of too many college WR outside of Nate Swift that wear 80's. There's the Brian kid from Ohio St. but I can't even think of his full name.

Some recent stars include:

Cal

#1 Desean Jackson

Florida

#1 Percy Harvin

Michigan

#1 Braylon Edwards

Ohio St

#4 Santanio Holmes

#7 Ted Ginn Jr.

#11 Anthony Gonzalaz

Oklahoma

#4 Malcolm Kelly

Penn St

#1 Derrick Williams

Tennessee

#3 Robert Meachem

Texas

#4 Roy Williams and Limas Sweed

Texas Tech

#5 Mike Crabtree

#8 Joel Filani

USC

#1 Mike Williams and Patrick Turner

#8 Dewayne Jarrett

#2 Steve Smith

Virginia Tech

#4 Eddie Royal

Washington

#1 Reggie Williams

post-5385-1216818971.jpg

Just to throw this out there Tradition at Michigan is that the top WR wears #1. Thats something that has happened for years. I know this because there was a story that Rodriguez assigned it to a freshman DB or something like that in spring camp and there was a HUGE uprising.

Todd Peterson - #17

Chris Brooks - #1

Menelik Holt - #4

Niles Paul - #24

Curenski Gilleylen - #11

Tim Marlowe - #21

Nate Swift #87

Huh.

I was thinking Compton's # would be more like 38 or 40 something. I also thought Meno got a new #......18 I think. :dunno

Yeah, but someone has to wear it so we all forget the player who wore last year.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Todd Peterson - #17

Chris Brooks - #1

Menelik Holt - #4

Niles Paul - #24

Curenski Gilleylen - #11

Tim Marlowe - #21

Nate Swift #87

Huh.

well i was a receiver in HS and used #4