Murillo is living his dream

Brothers Are Living The College Dream

When they were much smaller, playing football for the Rembrandt Knights, the youth-league Seahawks or even Robinson High, they had vivid imaginations.

Tampa's Javier Arenas and his older brother, Armando Murillo, visualized themselves performing before sold-out stadiums with deafening noise. "It was always a dream," Arenas said.

Now, the dream is real.

When has college football seen such sibling revelry?

Arenas, a junior at the University of Alabama, has emerged as one of the nation's top return men on punts and kickoffs. He also is favored to start at cornerback for the Crimson Tide.

Murillo, a senior at the University of Nebraska, is entering his second season as starting cornerback for the Cornhuskers. He signed with Nebraska after becoming a first-team junior-college All-American at Eastern Arizona Community College.

Roll Tide!

Go Big Red!

"I'm so proud," said their mother, Facunda Arenas. "Sometimes, it's hard to believe that this has happened to two brothers from Tampa. They are at two of the best places for football. They are doing what they have always wanted to do."

For Arenas, the younger brother, the path has been more direct.

After strongly considering Florida International University, Arenas pounced on a late scholarship offer from Alabama, then coached by Mike Shula. Following Arenas' freshman season, Shula was fired and replaced by Nick Saban.

Arenas struggled with his role - and his future. For a time, he thought about quitting the team. After speaking with Saban, a coach he was still getting to know, Arenas reconsidered.

"Saban told me he would respect whatever decision I made, but he felt if I did quit, I would regret it," Arenas said. "We didn't even talk much about football. It was mostly about academics and life in general. I decided he was right. I had to take advantage of this opportunity."

Just think what Arenas would have missed.

As a sophomore, Arenas averaged 15.4 yards on punt returns - second in the SEC, 12th nationally and second all-time on Alabama's single-season list. He made numerous big plays, including a 61-yard punt return touchdown against LSU on national television, while also averaging 23.4 yards on kickoff returns. Overall, he had five returns of 50-plus yards.

Saban grew to love the toughness - and fearlessness - displayed by Arenas.

"Your heart can't pump Kool-Aid," Arenas said. "You've got to know what you can do, and you've got to show it. Don't be timid. Show that you belong."

Even while Arenas settled into the SEC, he knew Murillo also belonged in Division I-A football. But Murillo's academics sent him to junior college, first in Kansas, then in Arizona.

"It's funny, because Armando was the one protective of me, the one who dragged me to football practice when I didn't want to go," Arenas said. "Then I got the first big break. I knew it was just a matter of time for Armando."

Murillo started all 12 games last season for Nebraska, but the year was largely a forgettable one. The Blackshirts (Nebraska's defense) allowed an unheard-of 37.9 points per game, leading to the firing of Bill Callahan and the hiring of new head coach Bo Pelini.

Murillo had 71 tackles last season, ranking fourth on Nebraska's defense. But part of that was a product of having to make too many tackles. He would prefer a role as lockdown corner, covering the opponent's top receiver.

"Armando is going to get better and better," Arenas said. "Of course, both of us would like to play at the next level NFL. We have to stay determined and keep working."

Their imaginations remain vivid.

This season's reality - starting positions with major SEC and Big 12 programs - isn't bad, either.