Feature on Husker Equipment Managers

zoogs

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...58577094771.txt

Terry was amused about any talk last season that centered around Bill Callahan’s wardrobe. Callahan showed up to a midseason press conference not wearing red — scandalous to a few. And then in his final day as coach against Colorado, for the first time he wore a gray Nebraska hooded sweatshirt during a game, which surely meant something.

Why the Belichick-like hoodie suddenly?

“Because they’re comfortable. He didn’t like bulky jackets,” Terry says. “It’s football, not a fashion show out there. People always think there’s some message being sent. He just wanted to be comfortable.”

Terry and his crew have seen some high-maintenance guys, but they say all the recent head coaches at Nebraska have been very easy to please.

Linebacker Barrett Ruud was one of Terry’s favorite players. “He didn’t come up here unless he really needed something,” Terry says.

There are plenty of stories about coaches and players and their superstitions that go with their wardrobes and equipment.

One of Terry’s favorite stories is about a trip to Ames, Iowa, when the managers forgot to pack Cody Glenn’s jersey.

The managers found a No. 84. They started cutting into the 8 to make it a 3 for Glenn’s 34. They borrowed a sewing machine.

Then a running back, Glenn was a little startled when he saw his jersey in his locker.

That night, Glenn rushed for 148 yards against Iowa State — best game of his career.

Says Terry: “He wanted to wear that jersey the rest of the year.”

“The first three, four or five games, if it rips, we’ll get it sewn,” says Chris McQuillan, assistant equipment manager. But eventually the wear and tear of toting the ball at running back has done enough damage to require a new jersey.

McQuillan remembers another time when former Husker cornerback Fabian Washington — now in the NFL — had a jersey mysteriously go missing. A game fast approaching, managers had to scurry to mix letters from other players’ extra jerseys to spell WASHINGTON.

Husker head coach Bo Pelini occasionally pops into the equipment room. Friday morning is one of those times.

Pelini has a photo shoot to go with an article that is supposed to appear in an upcoming issue of USA Today, and so he’s in search of the right attire, joking about his golf game with Terry in the process.

There are closets for every coach, each one full of adidas shirt upon adidas shirt. Red ones, white ones, enough ones to get a guy through a couple of weeks without a washer or dryer.

Linebackers coach Mike Ekeler makes a brief appearance, too, throwing a polo across the room at Terry, saying: “Thank you, brother.”

Such close proximity to Husker coaches and players makes McQuillan one popular dude whenever the 25-year-old returns to his hometown of Greeley, which has a population of about 500.

“They think I have special insight because I work here,” says McQuillan, who has to tell them he has no inside scoops to provide. “When people ask what I do, it’s hard to explain.”

There’s plenty of doing laundry, but that’s just the start of it.

That's my wife's cousin. :)

“The first three, four or five games, if it rips, we’ll get it sewn,” says Chris McQuillan, assistant equipment manager. But eventually the wear and tear of toting the ball at running back has done enough damage to require a new jersey.

McQuillan remembers another time when former Husker cornerback Fabian Washington — now in the NFL — had a jersey mysteriously go missing. A game fast approaching, managers had to scurry to mix letters from other players’ extra jerseys to spell WASHINGTON.

Husker head coach Bo Pelini occasionally pops into the equipment room. Friday morning is one of those times.

Pelini has a photo shoot to go with an article that is supposed to appear in an upcoming issue of USA Today, and so he’s in search of the right attire, joking about his golf game with Terry in the process.

There are closets for every coach, each one full of adidas shirt upon adidas shirt. Red ones, white ones, enough ones to get a guy through a couple of weeks without a washer or dryer.

Linebackers coach Mike Ekeler makes a brief appearance, too, throwing a polo across the room at Terry, saying: “Thank you, brother.”

Such close proximity to Husker coaches and players makes McQuillan one popular dude whenever the 25-year-old returns to his hometown of Greeley, which has a population of about 500.

“They think I have special insight because I work here,” says McQuillan, who has to tell them he has no inside scoops to provide. “When people ask what I do, it’s hard to explain.”

your 'man on the inside' eh?

wasn't he the one who got you that callahan signed football?

your 'man on the inside' eh?

wasn't he the one who got you that callahan signed football?

Yep, he got us that as a wedding present.

im not too sure about that...a bunch of my friends looked at the picture and decided that it was a gray helmet and yes at first i thought it was the lighting too. but the color just looks to even? i think it would be pretty cool to have a grey helmet. at least to just try something for a alternate like oklahoma did with white helmets.

Terry was amused about any talk last season that centered around Bill Callahan’s wardrobe. Callahan showed up to a midseason press conference not wearing red — scandalous to a few. And then in his final day as coach against Colorado, for the first time he wore a gray Nebraska hooded sweatshirt during a game, which surely meant something.

Hey, this is no Husker gear wearing Callahan. Time to break out the beige...Husker fans.