Apparently, NU needs CU rivalry

CU has no class....you have to be a classy team, with respect for your opponent to conduct a rivalry....CU is light years behind in this respect!

not a chance in hell....we don't need the thugs from Colorado or their classless fans!

Do you think Auburn and Alabama respect each other?

The respectable ones do.. :box

The whole "rival thing" can be amusing.

I guess I didn't see much of it until I moved out here (ASU/UofA) ... sometimes entertaining.?

But growing up with my 1st Husker Memory primarily being the '71 season culminating with all the Hype of "The immovable Object vs. The Irresistible Force" Turkey Day match-up between unbeatens #1 and #2.

And actually have the game live up to the Hype.

Then..All those nail-biters against Switzer's "Sooner Magic" made me fear/hate them even more.

I even almost liked Brian Bozworth for some strange reason, but I didn't really like OU until they were taken away from us (On a yearly basis) Sorta like when my two older Brothers left home to go to college...We weren't best friends until the absence made our hearts grow fonder.

There appears to be some intriguing ingredients for a rivalry with Colorado ("Sal is Dead" chants by some of our fans..McCartney having the audacity to Circle us on a calendar...Hawkins theatrics with the "worst day as a Buff>Best day in Corn")...

Maybe I'm just too old or too far away from it all..

I've worked with CU alums and we've had the friendly banter..But it's still too hard for me to properly hate them..I was so proud of them for finishing that '71 season Third in the Nation behind Nebraska and Oklahoma.

Riddle me this...exactly who is The Big 12 or any CU player, alum, fan or otherwise or any sportswriter in this world to tell me who MY rivalry is with? ISn't that MY decision? Who the hell do these people think they are? Can't they just let it develop on it's own? I'm afraid I'm not the one who doesn't get it here..

Actually, I'd think these things are as much between the players, coaches, and teams themselves instead of the fanbase. So in that sense, it's not just entirely any fan's decision. You can decide that USC is our rival but it wouldn't make it any more true. And he's not trying to tell you who your rival is; rather, he's trying to convince fans, who don't have to accept it. But it's not out of place for him to try to persuade others to his POV.

Just my $0.02

I would think that of the North teams, MU would have the best chance to create the desired rivalry. Althought Nebraska has won 29 more games in the series, it is the closest win/loss ratio of the north teams. I know it is not on a "big stage" as far as rivalry games go. (MU lossing 25 straight games didn't exactly help) But there is a pretty strong history and the last 10 years alone have provided some good games. The teams have traded victories since 03. And MU seems to be on the rise. IF MU can keep up their sucsesses and if NU improves the way most of you believe, then it could really set up nicely. Really all in all the next 5 to 10 years will probably dictate how it goes. If MU runs off a handful of straight wins or at the very least the games continue to split, I believe it will continue to climb for both schools. It will probably not ever be on the same level as the ol' NU/OU games, and don't expect it to ever reach the level of MU/KU. But it could be something special.

The one thing that really may put a damper on that ever happening is when the games are schedualed. 4 of the next eight seasons the MU/NU game is the first confernce game for MU. The other 4 seasons it is the 4th. It may be too early in the schedual to give it a real "big game" feel.

Mizzou also has the honor of being our oldest rival. We've played them since we've HAD a team. And we swap a trophy with them. I don't think we can say that about anybody else.

Thanks for the great Link, huKSer.

Bleeding..Not sure about a trophy, but accd to this site.

We started playing Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Minnesota, Grinnell, and Lincoln High? plus a few others in 1900.

We've played Kansas 106 times and ISU 98 times..and Missouri "only"93 games.

Classless fan here wanting to chime in :)

#1 I do not care if any Husker fan chooses to think there is a rivalry or not.

#2 You can pick Rice U as your rival for all I care.

#3 I want to see my team whip your behinds by an endless margin every year and I do not care if there are 100 other teams ahead of us in what one would consider a rival.

#4 I do not care what some obscure sportswriter says about our game, I do not care if Bob Costas has something to say about our game.

#5 I can place my own importance on a game, if I have the choice of winning a game to be bowl eligible or losing to NU, I choose the bowl eligible game.

#6 Have I made myself clear yet? I do not need affirmation from anyone else to enjoy my team and its success or lack thereof.

I wouldn't say classless, more like the girl in junior high, that isn't getting enough attention...

I know it's a different time but, when I was a kid the NU/OU game had national title implications, damn near every year. Even when we were beating the a$$ off of OU in the 90's that still had more meaning than any of the CU games we play.

It drives me nuts when I hear those yoyo's on ABC talk about how CU is our rival when the intro the game the day after thanksgiving. There's only one team we should be playing day after thanksgiving, and it sure as hell isn't CU...

Just my $0.02

I would think that of the North teams, MU would have the best chance to create the desired rivalry. Althought Nebraska has won 29 more games in the series, it is the closest win/loss ratio of the north teams. I know it is not on a "big stage" as far as rivalry games go. (MU lossing 25 straight games didn't exactly help) But there is a pretty strong history and the last 10 years alone have provided some good games. The teams have traded victories since 03. And MU seems to be on the rise. IF MU can keep up their sucsesses and if NU improves the way most of you believe, then it could really set up nicely. Really all in all the next 5 to 10 years will probably dictate how it goes. If MU runs off a handful of straight wins or at the very least the games continue to split, I believe it will continue to climb for both schools. It will probably not ever be on the same level as the ol' NU/OU games, and don't expect it to ever reach the level of MU/KU. But it could be something special.

The one thing that really may put a damper on that ever happening is when the games are schedualed. 4 of the next eight seasons the MU/NU game is the first confernce game for MU. The other 4 seasons it is the 4th. It may be too early in the schedual to give it a real "big game" feel.

Mizzou also has the honor of being our oldest rival. We've played them since we've HAD a team. And we swap a trophy with them. I don't think we can say that about anybody else.

We started playing Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Minnesota, Grinnell, and Lincoln High? plus a few others in 1900.

it's the nebraska missouri bell game(a stolen church bell if memory serves me)

What is ironic about this topic is that CU guy claims Nebraska is his rival. NU guy says no, OU is our rival. OU guy says no, UT is our rival. Texas A&M guy says UT is our rival whereas Texas Tech guy says Aggie is his rival. So in other words, a rivalry is basically whatever game one particular side may place importance on it.

What is ironic about this topic is that CU guy claims Nebraska is his rival. NU guy says no, OU is our rival. OU guy says no, UT is our rival. Texas A&M guy says UT is our rival whereas Texas Tech guy says Aggie is his rival. So in other words, a rivalry is basically whatever game one particular side may place importance on it.

And you're Colorado St's rival, playing in the first game of the year, so by the time you're 2-5 the only thing you can celebrate is half full can of coors light you won for beating CSU...

Our rivalries mean something in the big 12. Can't we donate CU to the Mountain West or the WAC where they might be relevent, instead of the annoying little dog begging for table scraps...

And you're Colorado St's rival, playing in the first game of the year, so by the time you're 2-5 the only thing you can celebrate is half full can of coors light you won for beating CSU...

Our rivalries mean something in the big 12. Can't we donate CU to the Mountain West or the WAC where they might be relevent, instead of the annoying little dog begging for table scraps...

I guess you would want us to leave after that beatdown last November.....

I guess you would want us to leave after that beatdown last November.....

ah yes, beat down...

The whooping you put on that "great" husker team last year, something to put on your mantle...

We've played Mizzou and Kansas both since at least 1892. See the liink on Huskers.com http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SP...p;Q_SEASON=1892

From some old newspaper article from before that date there was apparently some kind of football going on betwen NU and Mizzou before that. One Omaha Sun (I believe it was) article from 1884 I've seen quoted refers to the Nebraska Missouri football game being " an expected annual event". I havent been able to locate specific details yet, so I don't know exactly what that was referring to.

The Mizzou series clearly predates any of those others though. There's a Bell trophy that the winner takes home every year. Kansas is our longest continously played series however.

Actually, I'd think these things are as much between the players, coaches, and teams themselves instead of the fanbase. So in that sense, it's not just entirely any fan's decision. You can decide that USC is our rival but it wouldn't make it any more true. And he's not trying to tell you who your rival is; rather, he's trying to convince fans, who don't have to accept it. But it's not out of place for him to try to persuade others to his POV.

It might be ok for people to say the think CU is NU's rival. I just don't need it shoved in my face all the time. And this attitude of how I have to accept it whether I like it or not is just downright rude.

Anybody has the right to decide what game they circle on their calendar. For me..Oklahoma. If the kids coming up right now think CU, then more power to them. Just quit trying to force me to that point of view. I'm tired of hearing about it.

The funny thing is if it weren't for that, I may have come to tat POV myself. Maybe not. My real problem is with the conference. This is the big 12's way of making money and it ruined something that I cherished. Unfortunately, the CU game is the only place I have to focus my anger. :dunno