Apparently, NU needs CU rivalry

Classless fan here wanting to chime in :)

#1 I do not care if any Husker fan chooses to think there is a rivalry or not.

#2 You can pick Rice U as your rival for all I care.

#3 I want to see my team whip your behinds by an endless margin every year and I do not care if there are 100 other teams ahead of us in what one would consider a rival.

#4 I do not care what some obscure sportswriter says about our game, I do not care if Bob Costas has something to say about our game.

#5 I can place my own importance on a game, if I have the choice of winning a game to be bowl eligible or losing to NU, I choose the bowl eligible game.

#6 Have I made myself clear yet? I do not need affirmation from anyone else to enjoy my team and its success or lack thereof.

Classless fan here wanting to chime in :)

#1 I do not care if any Husker fan chooses to think there is a rivalry or not.

#2 You can pick Rice U as your rival for all I care.

#3 I want to see my team whip your behinds by an endless margin every year and I do not care if there are 100 other teams ahead of us in what one would consider a rival.

#4 I do not care what some obscure sportswriter says about our game, I do not care if Bob Costas has something to say about our game.

#5 I can place my own importance on a game, if I have the choice of winning a game to be bowl eligible or losing to NU, I choose the bowl eligible game.

#6 Have I made myself clear yet? I do not need affirmation from anyone else to enjoy my team and its success or lack thereof.

It's a good thing that you are not seeking affirmation- I don't think you'll get it.

In order to be a rivalry, it has to be a a back and forth battle between the two teams every year and fans on both sides really have to care. Nebraska fans don't care about Colorado and the series is 46-17-2 in Nebraska's favor. Even if you want to selectively choose the most modern Big XII era, we still lead the series 8-4. It's just not even.

Missouri is not even enough either- the series is 63-34-3 and they haven't won in Lincoln since the 60's. Missouri and Colorado have both enjoyed some recent success, but they aren't iconic marquee programs and their success will continue to wax and wane. Nebraska's fan base has gone crazy over the first two losing seasons in almost 50 years. Missouri and Colorado have had so many losing seasons that it doesn't generate buzz when they go 5-7. Nebraska (and Oklahoma) will always be at the top or near the top of the college football world. Missouri and Colorado will not.

The fact of the matter is, Nebraska is one of only a handful of marquee college football programs. Colorado and Missouri are not in that club and Oklahoma is. The series between OU and NU is almost even (37-43-3) and fans on both sides desperately want it back. Who could not be outraged by the elimination of that game? It was in the top 3, if not the top, rivalry in the history of college football. The rivalry has no replacement but itself.

It's a good thing that you are not seeking affirmation- I don't think you'll get it.

In order to be a rivalry, it has to be a a back and forth battle between the two teams every year and fans on both sides really have to care. Nebraska fans don't care about Colorado and the series is 46-17-2 in Nebraska's favor. Even if you want to selectively choose the most modern Big XII era, we still lead the series 8-4. It's just not even.

Missouri is not even enough either- the series is 63-34-3 and they haven't won in Lincoln since the 60's. Missouri and Colorado have both enjoyed some recent success, but they aren't iconic marquee programs and their success will continue to wax and wane. Nebraska's fan base has gone crazy over the first two losing seasons in almost 50 years. Missouri and Colorado have had so many losing seasons that it doesn't generate buzz when they go 5-7. Nebraska (and Oklahoma) will always be at the top or near the top of the college football world. Missouri and Colorado will not.

The fact of the matter is, Nebraska is one of only a handful of marquee college football programs. Colorado and Missouri are not in that club and Oklahoma is. The series between OU and NU is almost even (37-43-3) and fans on both sides desperately want it back. Who could not be outraged by the elimination of that game? It was in the top 3, if not the top, rivalry in the history of college football. The rivalry has no replacement but itself.

First - I agree OU/NU should play every year. Now that we have 4 non-cons I think we should schedule them in the 2 years we don't play them in conference and bump CU's time slot and every year play them Thanksgiving week EVERY YEAR.

Good point on the competitiveness

Did some research on the top 4 IMO rivalries with national appeal (sorry Yale-Harvard)

Alabama 37 Auburn 28 (1 T) 1.32 ratio

Meeechigan 57 THE Ohio State 41 (6 T) 1.39 ratio

USC 42 UCLA 28 (7 T) 1.5 ratio

Texass 54 OU 40 (5 T) 1.35 ratio

NU/MU has a 1.85 ratio. I thought Bama-Auburn would be more lopsided. USC-UCLA makes sense geographically since they are in the same slum.

BTW a good website for research Link

First - I agree OU/NU should play every year. Now that we have 4 non-cons I think we should schedule them in the 2 years we don't play them in conference and bump CU's time slot and every year play them Thanksgiving week EVERY YEAR.

Did some research on the top 4 IMO rivalries with national appeal (sorry Yale-Harvard)

NU/MU has a 1.85 ratio. I thought Bama-Auburn would be more lopsided. USC-UCLA makes sense geographically since they are in the same slum.

Just my $0.02

I would think that of the North teams, MU would have the best chance to create the desired rivalry. Althought Nebraska has won 29 more games in the series, it is the closest win/loss ratio of the north teams. I know it is not on a "big stage" as far as rivalry games go. (MU lossing 25 straight games didn't exactly help) But there is a pretty strong history and the last 10 years alone have provided some good games. The teams have traded victories since 03. And MU seems to be on the rise. IF MU can keep up their sucsesses and if NU improves the way most of you believe, then it could really set up nicely. Really all in all the next 5 to 10 years will probably dictate how it goes. If MU runs off a handful of straight wins or at the very least the games continue to split, I believe it will continue to climb for both schools. It will probably not ever be on the same level as the ol' NU/OU games, and don't expect it to ever reach the level of MU/KU. But it could be something special.

The one thing that really may put a damper on that ever happening is when the games are schedualed. 4 of the next eight seasons the MU/NU game is the first confernce game for MU. The other 4 seasons it is the 4th. It may be too early in the schedual to give it a real "big game" feel.

Just my $0.02

I would think that of the North teams, MU would have the best chance to create the desired rivalry. Althought Nebraska has won 29 more games in the series, it is the closest win/loss ratio of the north teams. I know it is not on a "big stage" as far as rivalry games go. (MU lossing 25 straight games didn't exactly help) But there is a pretty strong history and the last 10 years alone have provided some good games. The teams have traded victories since 03. And MU seems to be on the rise. IF MU can keep up their sucsesses and if NU improves the way most of you believe, then it could really set up nicely. Really all in all the next 5 to 10 years will probably dictate how it goes. If MU runs off a handful of straight wins or at the very least the games continue to split, I believe it will continue to climb for both schools. It will probably not ever be on the same level as the ol' NU/OU games, and don't expect it to ever reach the level of MU/KU. But it could be something special.

The one thing that really may put a damper on that ever happening is when the games are schedualed. 4 of the next eight seasons the MU/NU game is the first confernce game for MU. The other 4 seasons it is the 4th. It may be too early in the schedual to give it a real "big game" feel.

I agree with a lot of these sentiments- I also agree that NU/MU will never reach the rivalry level of KU/MU. There is sort of a natural rivalry built in between the two states given the size of the border and the division of Kansas City. The Missouri game happening so early in the season every year also takes away from the rivalry feel, just the same as I think it takes away from the Oklahoma/Texas rivalry.

Just my $0.02

I agree with a lot of these sentiments- I also agree that NU/MU will never reach the rivalry level of KU/MU. There is sort of a natural rivalry built in between the two states given the size of the border and the division of Kansas City. The Missouri game happening so early in the season every year also takes away from the rivalry feel, just the same as I think it takes away from the Oklahoma/Texas rivalry.

If you think anything has been taken away from the Red River Shootout, think again! I have the misfortune of living in Texas. The entire week leading up the UT/Sooner game is nothing but hatred towards OU. Just because the game is scheduled earlier in the season, it has nothing to do with the hype of this game.

If you think anything has been taken away from the Red River Shootout, think again! I have the misfortune of living in Texas. The entire week leading up the UT/Sooner game is nothing but hatred towards OU. Just because the game is scheduled earlier in the season, it has nothing to do with the hype of this game.

Happened to be in Dallas once during OU/TX weekend at a popular bar. A pickup with a wench and TX plates circled around the block, backed up to a car close to the door w/ OU plates, drug it out into the street and took its parking place. It didn't take too long for a tow truck to come by and haul the OU car away for double parking.

Thats a rivalry

I think we have to be satiated with Colorado as our rival. The powers that be have (unfairly) taken away Oklahoma. We will always be second fiddle to Kansas if we try to introduce a rivalry with Missouri. Colorado is the logical choice for these reasons:

1.) Our states border each other, allowing it to be a 'border war.'

2.) The mindsets of both campuses and student bodies are very different, politically and socially.

3.) There have been some stellar games in the series.

4.) Like it or not, our programs' recent track records are comparable.

5.) We recruit against them often (I cite last year's mass Colorado exodus of many of our recruits as soon as Callahan was fired).

6.) Colorado has no immediate rival.

All of these strike me as legitimate reasons why Colorado should be our rival.

Happened to be in Dallas once during OU/TX weekend at a popular bar. A pickup with a wench and TX plates circled around the block, backed up to a car close to the door w/ OU plates, drug it out into the street and took its parking place. It didn't take too long for a tow truck to come by and haul the OU car away for double parking.

Thats a rivalry

LOL yep, that sounds about right!

Thats a rivalry

LOL yep, that sounds about right!

nope, that's stupidity......like the guy (OU)in the bar room brawl who got castrated last year (by a Texas fan-atic.....true story.

idiots....... :wacko:

Just my $0.02

Mizzou also has the honor of being our oldest rival. We've played them since we've HAD a team. And we swap a trophy with them. I don't think we can say that about anybody else.

heres another thought. Because Colorado is the last game played in the season. Could that be why we dislike colorado. I mean ok so there fans arent the best but because there the last regular season game played, could that be why we want to beat them into the dirt so bad. Our last chance to squish someone.

No, I'll tell you why I'm growing to hate them. Because they just won't get it. They WANT a rivalry with us and can't accept the fact that (most) Husker fans don't see them as a rival.. so they keep coming up with garbage like this article, telling me how they're my rival whether I like it or not.. and I'd better just accept it. And how I just don't get it, etc wetc etc..

And it's constant...every time I open my eyes I get this crap shoved in my face for the past 20 years now. And I'm spoken to like I'm some kind of retard because I don't just happily jump into the Big 12 conference's mighty money making scheme.

Riddle me this...exactly who is The Big 12 or any CU player, alum, fan or otherwise or any sportswriter in this world to tell me who MY rivalry is with? ISn't that MY decision? Who the hell do these people think they are? Can't they just let it develop on it's own? I'm afraid I'm not the one who doesn't get it here..

I'm so sick of this constant "You need a CU rivalry' bullsh!t I've begun to hate Colorado vehemently. And I'm not refering to just the damned football team.

NU/OU Forever. End of rant. :rant