Mason Wald

Anybody else excited to see this guy knock some people down. I don't know about any of you guys but this guy was probably the number one guy from our 2008 recruits that I was really excited to see in a Husker uniform with Khiry Cooper coming in second. I'm not saying that all of the other players that we've signed are all crap, I'm just saying that when I saw actually footage of Mason Wald I couldn't believe that we were lucky enough to pick up this guy.

When I saw the footage of Mason Wald the first thing that came to my mind was his raw power and explosion when tracking down players and knocking them on there ass just like Mike Brown. I've seen some footage of Khiry Cooper and he was really impressive two. I think that Cooper will be our #1 to go to wide receiver within 1-2 years. I've seen footage of Compton and thats been about it. I'm sure if I would've seen more game footages on all of our other recruits, I'm sure I would've had a different number one favorite.

Why did I think that Mason Wald was from Youngstown, OH ummm must of got him mixed up with someone else since Wald is from Alabama.

You're thinking of Tim Marlowe.

Ya you're right but I was thinking that we got a DB out of Youngstown though ummm. I think it said Youngstown in HuskerIllustrated I think but I could be wrong.....oh well......I'm hoping that Wald will be like another Mike Brown.

I am very glad I saw this post about Wald. Out of the videos I watched for incoming recruits Wald's was the one I watched over and over again and showed to my friends. He was a monster in high school, just knocking people flat out. I think he weighs in at 205 right now and I wouldn't mind seeing him putting a little more weight on. I will be fine with it if he gets red shirted this year. I would hate to waste a year of his talent on special teams units or mop up duty cause I feel we already have capable players to do that. I want this kid to stay around for awhile and grow into one of the fiercest and intimidating safeties in all of college football.

He is gonna be knocking people out in a couple years.

I would think offensively it may be tougher for incoming recruits seeing any playing time since there shouldn't be much change with the offense. Defensively, there could be an outside chance some of the younger guys can earn playing time.

Exactly. They're all learning a new scheme on D. But guys like Niles, Holt, and any underclassman that has some knowledge of the playbook should be ready for their opportunities.

I really see a lot of younger guys getting thrown into the mix. Work hard on the practice field and these coaches are willing to see who can help out instead of making mistakes & hurting the team. It's been documented that the best players will play.

Wald was my favorite of the class also with Compton being a close second. From watching Wald's highlights you just don't see that many big hits from one player in highschool very often. He reminds me a little bit of Clint Finley, hopefully he doesn't have the concussion issues that Finley had. I am curious to see how they use him this year, I want to see him on the field laying guys out right away but at the same time I want him to redshirt so he can be around when this defense really gets rolling in the next couple of years. So say Mason puts on 10-15 lbs, does anyone think they could move him to linebacker maybe next year? How about that LB core next year, Wald-Dillard-Compton(Compton only because the best players will play and when Dillard graduates Compton moves back to MLB)! Hey, a guy can dream can't he.