A Discussion about BlackOuts

No, not in favor of it, never will be. How about a friggin red out? It is the tradition to wear red and you still have turds in the punch bowl that will wear gray, green, blue, etc. It's the power of RED, the sea of RED, go big RED.

Ive never heard of people crapping in punch. Do they really crap in punch? Now Im never drinking that again. <_<

No, not in favor of it, never will be. How about a friggin red out? It is the tradition to wear red and you still have turds in the punch bowl that will wear gray, green, blue, etc. It's the power of RED, the sea of RED, go big RED.

Ive never heard of people crapping in punch. Do they really crap in punch? Now Im never drinking that again. <_<

Drink punch? I thought people only drank beer, rainwater, and pure grain alcohol . . .

Didnt see your post before I posted mine but ....Ya what he said!!

***SNIP***

If not, what about some other alternative, say blackshirt towels for everyone to wave ferociously, or maybe a white-out ala Penn State?

***SNIP***

That makes sense, for a couple of reasons. First, the black towels could be used when the Blackshirts take the field, make a great play, etc. It doesn't require the stadium to become a "Sea of some-color-that-isn't-Nebraska"; we retain the sea of red, and the use of the towels exclusively for the Blackshirts has some rational relationship. Or, to make it more universal, a white towel that could be used at any point in the game.

Second, a "white-out" would be fine in the sense that it is one of our colors. However, I suspect that the reason most want everyone to wear black is because they feel - for whatever irrational reason - that it would "intimidate" the opposing team. If so, then I doubt that those individuals would want, or would participate in, a white-out. But honestly, I don't see the purpose. Do it just because it would be "cool"? How is it any cooler than having a Sea of Red?

Parenthetically, if having everyone wear black, or having the team wear black jerseys, would be so intimidating, every team in America would sport black. The fact of the matter is, wearing black is not going to intimidate the other team. You could have stuck pink uniforms on the teams from '94 and '95, and they still would dominate all opponents. Conversely, you could have dressed out the 2007 team in all black, and it would not have resulted in one more win.

I agree with AR, I have brought up in the past that they could issue card board squares with Red on one side and Black on the other. Make them 12" X 12" and as the defense comes on the field the black side is shown. If you have 80,000 plus people do that all at once you have your bla.ck ou.t The fans could even get creative and rotate between the red side and black side to spice it up a bit.

***SNIP***

If not, what about some other alternative, say blackshirt towels for everyone to wave ferociously, or maybe a white-out ala Penn State?

***SNIP***

That makes sense, for a couple of reasons. First, the black towels could be used when the Blackshirts take the field, make a great play, etc. It doesn't require the stadium to become a "Sea of some-color-that-isn't-Nebraska"; we retain the sea of red, and the use of the towels exclusively for the Blackshirts has some rational relationship. Or, to make it more universal, a white towel that could be used at any point in the game.

Second, a "white-out" would be fine in the sense that it is one of our colors. However, I suspect that the reason most want everyone to wear black is because they feel - for whatever irrational reason - that it would "intimidate" the opposing team. If so, then I doubt that those individuals would want, or would participate in, a white-out. But honestly, I don't see the purpose. Do it just because it would be "cool"? How is it any cooler than having a Sea of Red?

Parenthetically, if having everyone wear black, or having the team wear black jerseys, would be so intimidating, every team in America would sport black. The fact of the matter is, wearing black is not going to intimidate the other team. You could have stuck pink uniforms on the teams from '94 and '95, and they still would dominate all opponents. Conversely, you could have dressed out the 2007 team in all black, and it would not have resulted in one more win.

To me, wearing a black shirt shows support for the defense. That's where I played football and that's what I like to watch, well a good D anyway. If your going to wear a black shirt it better have a skull and crossbones on it. It has nothing to do with trying to intimidate anybody.

I just want the season to start. I really don't care what you wear. I understand and respect the tradition, I will be at every home game with my RED number 13 Cory McKeo..........I mean Zac Taylor jersey. Go Big Red! :woo

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

I think your maybe coming at this the wrong way. It's not about the intimidation! Whether it' be a B.O. (wait B.O... Bo Pelini...hmmm?) or the black towels. Which I think may be a better idea. It's all about showing unified support to the team, a team that could badly use it. Fans where WALKING OUT of husker games last year. The same fans that sat all four qts, when we where laying 50 point beat downs on nobodyU. If it was in "protest", then is'nt an equal or greater show of support fitting?

I'm honestly not trying to rain on everyones big red parade. I'm just saying it would be ONE game! Yes the sea of red is iconic, and that won't change.

It isn't as if we are just pulling some color out of our arse. The huskers have had a blackshirt tradition on defense for 40 years! The skull and bones is marketed on t-shirts, hats, etc all the time. It's unique to us and should be celebrated!

I live outside NE now, and I can tell you just about anyone who knows even a little about the huskers will mention the blackshirts.

:wacko: I can't believe I've become the worls largest proponent of a b*******! What the hell Bob? :wacko:

Your getting it all wrong. It's not about the intimidation! It's about showing support for the team, a team that could badly used it. Fans where WALKING OUT of husker games last year. The same fans that sat all four qts, when we where laying 50 point beat downs on nobodyU. If it was in "protest", then is'nt an equal or greater show of support fitting?

I'm honestly not trying to rain on everyones big red parade. I'm just saying it would be ONE game!

The team, though, is more than the Blackshirts. And that team represents the University of Nebraska, the colors for which are red and white (or scarlet and cream, if you prefer). Using your logic, you're really only supporting one-third of the team. If you're intention is to show support for the Blackshirts, then by all means wave a black towel or something similar when the defense is on the field - something that is clearly aimed at the defense. But if you want to demonstrate your support for the entire team, how does wearing a color that doesn't represent all facets or units of the team show support for the entire team?

It isn't as if we are just pulling some color out of our arse, the team has a blackshirt tradition on defense.

Precisely. The defense; not the team.

Sorry for my hack edit there! I get your point. I realy do. Any kind of support is good, and I would love for it to be something huge. You can't always get what you want though.

I am really liking the towel idea more and more. I wonder if people could get behind that?

I would think so. Very similar to the Steeler's "Terrible Towel". Stick a red skull and cross-bones on a black towel. Sell them at every Husker outlet imaginable. Have the University promote the idea of waving it when the defense is on the field. Bingo - a new tradition (a bit of an oxymoron, that, but it would certainly become a tradition in short order if promoted correctly).