A Discussion about BlackOuts

Don't flame me please.

Every year there is mention of a b*******, and every year the whining commences afterwards. Everyone seems to agree full circle that it's ridiculous of the student section to keep trying this, because the way they market it via the web, just does not work with all the blue hair fans at Nebraska who don't use computers. My question is this. If Tom Osborne approved of the idea, and if the University sponsored it with t-shirts for everyone (hell they could get them dirt cheap if they let adidas slap their logo on them) and if everyone at gameday was told in some fashion what was going to happen, and if it could actually work, would you be for it? Just one time? Why or why not? If not, what about some other alternative, say blackshirt towels for everyone to wave ferociously, or maybe a white-out ala Penn State?

In all honesty I would say I would be ok with the idea. One time, especially with the situation our program is in right now, if done correctly, and if done IN FULL (none of this "oh the student section is going to be a black hole in the sea of red" garbage), I don't think it would be too bad of an idea.

610x.jpg

white1js9.gif

It's an honest question ok :dunno

The only way I think it would be cool is if they handed out t-shirts at the gates. Then everyone would have one and would have to wear it and not have an excuse. That's one thing that would need to happen.................the second thing is the whole stadium would be very quiet, I mean pin drop quiet and just stare at the visiting team when they came running out of the tunnel. I don't want to hear anyone even cough. Then the other team would probably be creeped out! That's the only way I'm ever for it so since that will never happen I'll always wear red.

I'm actually for a BLACK0UT. Last year when I took my soon to be father in law to the ISU vs Nebraska, we both dressed in black to support our piss poor blackshirts. I understand that we are the Power of Red, Sea of Red, and Go Big RED but I think that it would be cool to do something different to support our team. If the students want to do a BLACK0UT then let them, they pay to go to school there so let them do what they want to do to support their school.

Blackshirts is part of our Defense Tradition and our Nebraska students see this and want to continue on with our Blackshirt Defense tradition. I think that everybody would do it if everybody was aware of it via commercials, free t-shirts, radio advertisments, etc. I always wear red for a home and away game but doing a BLACK0UT once in awhile won't hurt.

With Bo Pelini as our new coach, don't be suprised to see a lot more of these "BLACK0UT" discussions popping up. What would be a great time to do a BLACK0UT is during a big home game against lets say Virginia Tech, Kansas, or Mizzo so we can get our Blackshirts behind the fans and to kick some a$$.

At PSU for the white outs they have had it printed on the tickets to wear white. The white out started because of "the red". They said that they are having a white out to white out the red when Huskers came to town. I am just an outsider fan and love seeing the sea of red. I say stick w/ the red and keep the tradition of a great school and great fans GO BIG RED!!

With Bo Pelini as our new coach, don't be suprised to see a lot more of these "BLACK0UT" discussions popping up. What would be a great time to do a BLACK0UT is during a big home game against lets say Virginia Tech, Kansas, or Mizzo so we can get our Blackshirts behind the fans and to kick some a$$.

The student section is calling for one Sep. 20th this season.

Landlord, I wouldn't change a good thing. That's how simple it is for me. I like what has been established years ago & respect it. Tradition was built with wearing RED and shouting Go Big Red, etc., for support.

Why must there be a handful of people who want to change something instead of embracing it because it wasn't their own idea? Why break apart 80 thousand people and have them change because of what 300 to 5,000 people want? It doesnt make sense to me.

The student section is calling for one Sep. 20th this season.

Sounds fine to me, Nebraska doesn't play anyone on September 20th. Perhaps it is a joke that the students are calling for it on an off day...