Clock Rule Question

I just read somewhere that a new rule in college football is that if a guy goes out of bounds, the game clock will start once the ball is placed (with the exception of the last two minutes of each half). I don't quite understand this change. Besides shortening the game (which NOBODY wants), what does it accomplish?

Any opinions?

So the only time the clock stops is if there is a ball thrown incomplete, or if the ball is spiked before 2 minutes remain before the half? I guess they want people to use time outs more often. They stop the clock between punts and kickoffs for TV time outs, shouldn't the 2 teams playing have more control of the clock than the refs?

The overall time clock shouldn't be a factor, but how much will this effect the 24 second play clock?

We never enforce any of the new stupid rules anyway.... <_<

Get around it by "fumbling" the ball as far away from the sidelines as you can when you go out of bounds...the extra time it takes the fat, lazy officials to retrieve it or get a new ball inbounds and set should be more than enough of a time gap to make up for any time that would be lost otherwise...