Change on Defense

ray233

Look for Sr. Matt O'Hanlon to get the start on Saturday against Western Michigan at Free Safety. Apparently, his performance in Thursday's practice was strong enough to push him over Thenarse, who may still be a little up and down in grasping the defense.

I doubt this will be long term, but hopefully it's a motivator for Thenarse, who is the better athlete of the two.

When a 5th year, senior walk-on is potentially going to start for the first time in his career, it's big news....even to the extended-extended family.

Travis....I assumed that a depth chart change isn't based on just one practice....but I think he's been having strong practices through today, and it's been enough to prompt a change.

Anyhow, I got the news this evening. I'm in only in the stadium on game days, but I definitely trust the source.

He's a great kid. I hope it's accurate information....we're happy for him.

I really don't see this happening. Changing the starter two days before kickoff?!? I don't think that would reflect well on the coaches...if it was due to an injury, sure...but still...come on...

I hadn't seen this on any of the media sites...so I passed this along for the benefit of the board. I can understand being cautious about the news you read on a message board, but you guys are acting like I said Baker Steinkuhler was starting at Quarterback. It's not really a stretch of the imagination to know a Husker player....especially a walk-on from Nebraska.

With the 'best players play' philosophy, it would be more good news for the relevancy of the walk-on program if he gets the start. I think Wortman might be the only other walk-on in the defensive 2-deep.

Like I said, it's a big buzz for him and his family that he's supposed to be starting for the first time. If you don't believe it....don't believe it.

He's quietly busted his *** for four and a half years. I hope it pans out, because I'm very excited for him.

We'll all find out Saturday evening.

GBR

This is almost Rumorville material!

Makes you wonder if Pelini's saltwater aquarium guy is the one who leaked the info :clap

I have no problem with Matt starting on Saturday. Could be he had a great practice and deserves it or it could be Pelini's method of motivating Thenarse enough to put him back on top at the starting position. Guess we'll find out tomorrow night

***SNIP***

...or it could be Pelini's method of motivating Thenarse enough to put him back on top at the starting position. Guess we'll find out tomorrow night

That was my first thought - a way to rachet up Thenarse's effort a tad. And at the same time, it has the effect of letting all the others know that less-than-full effort will have your backup starting.

Not saying that's what happened (assuming the information is even correct), but if so, that would be my bet.

Does anyone have a link which has the 40 yd times? I remember Farley's first year when he didn't start the first 4 or 5 games because he didn't quite have the D down yet. The guy in front of him got out run by a TE. Speed kills, and we need to have the best speed out there. Maybe we don't particularly need it the first 3 games, but we definitely will VT and beyond.

who are we as fanatics to judge who should be the starter ? whoever is the starter is the starter for a good reason .. yes we all know Ricky Thenarse is a very nice player who can run and hit but that's not all a DB does ... he has to be able to make reads and adjust among other things