Mason Wald gets nod for special teams play

We all knew this kid was special! His dad is a coach and probably told him to make an impact on special teams.....purrfect place for a true freshman with special skills.

its tough to crack the lineup as a true frosh, one of the surest ways to make an impression is to take the ST route, just like young guys to the NFL, if they cant or wont step up on ST, they will likely cut ya.

Establish yourself as a Player 1st.....that is a mindset, from the videos we saw, you would expect that attitude from a kid like Mason....and here we are hours away fro an opener, and there he is...came to play the game.

Really?

I would have thought it would be much better for him to take a redshirt, esp. if the only contributions he can make are limited and on special teams. No doubt he is not ready for defensive play. Why burn a redshirt, when we know we'll be needing safety help soon?

Really?

I would have thought it would be much better for him to take a redshirt, esp. if the only contributions he can make are limited and on special teams. No doubt he is not ready for defensive play. Why burn a redshirt, when we know we'll be needing safety help soon?

Because ST are 1/3 of the game and we need good players there too. SP can kill you if you're not prepared. Just imagine Mason flying down the field on the opening kickoff and leveling the returner, talk about setting the tempo for the team. Or, maybe he hits the returner hard enough to cause a fumble and we recover inside the 20? Special teams are a major part of the game too.

He could be our next Brandon Rigoni!!! I miss that kid!

I noticed on the preseason NE Football show that Rigoni is an assistant for the strength staff. They have this one routine involving laying down and standing up with a "plate" that they make players do 100 of if they are late, Dobson said Rigoni did 1000 in a row just as a personal test.

Really?

I think it would be nice to redshirt Mason and have him back for another 4 years but this kid was recruited because he is a heat seeking missile. We've all seen the tape. He finds the ball carrier and blows him up. Kickoff team and maybe punt sounds like the ideal spot for this kid right now!