What other team means more to a state?

bigredtoad

Curious about you guys thoughts on this. I read that other thread about that smart guy kstate "paper writer". wow what a bright one that guy. :wacko: But it made me think. What other state relies more on one team more than Nebraska and Husker football?

I was thinking abou tthis and was coming up with stuff like the GB Packers, but then I remembered they have other pro teams and colleges etc. How about Kansas & KU bball? no they have those wildhacks if you can call them a program, and the chiefs are not far from there. I racked my noggan and really couldnt come up with any others. What do you think? That is obviously one of the main reasons for the extreme fan support for skers football, and from my opnion one of our best sellling points for recruits. Come to NU where the fan support for Husker football is unmatched in ANY other state. And ask them to think of one other where its better. :worship

Dang...that's a tough question Toad.

The only one I can think of is maybe UConn and basketball - but even then, I don't think Connecticut as a state is as dedicated to the Huskies as Nebraska is to the Huskers (there has to be a joke in there somewhere).

Nevada and UNLV basketball?...they're only important as long as they beat the point spread ;)

As far as football - Hawaii, maybe or even Idaho with Boise State's emergence. But, once again, they aren't as dedicated as Nebraska I think as a whole.

I think you may be on to something here.

IRISH!

Dang...that's a tough question Toad.

The only one I can think of is maybe UConn and basketball - but even then, I don't think Connecticut as a state is as dedicated to the Huskies as Nebraska is to the Huskers (there has to be a joke in there somewhere).

Nevada and UNLV basketball?...they're only important as long as they beat the point spread ;)

As far as football - Hawaii, maybe or even Idaho with Boise State's emergence. But, once again, they aren't as dedicated as Nebraska I think as a whole.

I think you may be on to something here.

IRISH!

A couple that came to mind with me are Colorado (Broncos), Texas (Cowboys), even though they've had a team in Houston before and do once again, most outside of Houston are Cowboy fans.

Also, Mass and the Red Sox.

All places have other sports and programs besides Nebraska. No other state has 1 dominant program without having either pro or college sports in state as well. States without anything, like Wyoming, North/South Dakota, etc...don't have a dominant team in any sport.

I would agree with UConn b-ball. I would also say Alabama football. One time in Alabama, my dad got refused gas service because it was a year after NU kicked Bama's ass in the orange bowl and this guy hated the Huskers and the entire state of Nebraska for it. I would also say Tennessee Volunteers football, they have a huge following and tons of traditions there. The Vikings aren't the only team in Minnesota, but they are a huge deal there. No one notices the Twins till playoff time and the T-Wolves have gotten big in the past few years.

Good point on Alabama - except for Auburn, there's nothing even close down there.

I think Pillen08's right in that the only other team that comes to mind in the media catregory would be ND - with the exception that even though ND might have a somewhat larger fan base overall, it's not as dominant in their home region like Nebraska is.

IRISH!

I would say that the Bulls mean a lot to the Chicago area over the past 10 or so years. It is nothing to how much the Huskers mean to this state but the Bulls have been horrible the past couple of years and are still in the top five in attendance and have a much larger following than any of the other sports in that area.

I would say that the Bulls mean a lot to the Chicago area over the past 10 or so years. It is nothing to how much the Huskers mean to this state but the Bulls have been horrible the past couple of years and are still in the top five in attendance and have a much larger following than any of the other sports in that area.

Cubs are the pride of Chicago. The city is about 75% Cubs/25% WhiteSox, but nobody is passionate about the Sox. And as far as ND, every other part of Indiana hates South Bend. Just go to Purdue some time and ask them about the Domers, they'll puke on your shoes.

Cubs are the pride of Chicago. The city is about 75% Cubs/25% WhiteSox, but nobody is passionate about the Sox. And as far as ND, every other part of Indiana hates South Bend. Just go to Purdue some time and ask them about the Domers, they'll puke on your shoes.

That's like going to Columbia SC and asking them about Clemson :P

Other places in Indiana aren't *that* hate ND. For what it's worth, Fort Wayne has a bigger Sub-Alum club than South Bend does. ;)

ND has that spread wide fan base, but not a lot of density in their home region. Nebraska, on the other hand, has that high density at home but is spread thinner nation-wide, I think.

After ND, the fan shirts I see the most out here in Arizona State land are the Huskers (even more than ASU, possibly...and Huskers dwarf UA by a huge margin).

Oddly enough, I hardly ever see other Pac-10 fan apparell. Maybe that's just because Arizona is largely populated by people from somewhere else?

IRISH!