Blackshirts

:bang No intensity what so ever this week on defense or offense. I never would have thought the special teams would out shine both the offense and the defense this year after last year, but they looked better than both the offense and defense.

I would give the Offense a D today

the Defense would have gotten a D also...even though they had a few really good moments.

Special Teams would have gotten a C+...

Coaching ... probably a C....they kept their cool, though IMHO they could have gotten in the players shorts a little more the 2nd the 3rd quarter.

This game was a setback, no other way to look at it. We have a lot of work to do to just maintain intensity.

Blackshirts are supposed to be given out for giving 100% effort, and having leadership qualities. I only seen our defense givng 100% for about 1 quarter total today...if my math is right, that is about 25%, which is not good enough to even think about claiming a blackshirt. There was no leadership from the players today.

IMHO the seniors need to be the ones to step up and kick some butts to wake this team up. That is what being a Blackshirt is all about, afterall. I am still trying to decide if today was just a good example of what parity has brought, or if we lapsed into last years mode. I know that we didn't have the intensity that is required to win any kind of title today. If we go through the whole season with this intensity or lack of, we will not even qualify for a bowl game.

The seniors need to step up and show that they want to win, and how to do it.

Cody Glenn wasn't fascinating today, but damn he was still all over the place...still the closest to a blackshirt on the team...

Pretty hard to install a decent pass rush when the f'ing QB is lined up in the shotgun what seemed like 20 miles behind the line of scrimmage...Mizzery has to be liking how this game looked, because this is exactly where Booger will be planting his nostril most of the game vs. NU

Cody Glenn wasn't fascinating today, but damn he was still all over the place...still the closest to a blackshirt on the team...

Yeah, he was. Didn't make as many plays, but he DID smack the QB a few times (side note: props to Kyle Reed for simultaneously getting crushed head-on by Glenn and taking a helmet-to-helmet shot from Suh in the third quarter and jumping right back to his feet).

Pretty hard to install a decent pass rush when the f'ing QB is lined up in the shotgun what seemed like 20 miles behind the line of scrimmage...Mizzery has to be liking how this game looked, because this is exactly where Booger will be planting his nostril most of the game vs. NU

I kept thinking the same thing.

Blackshirts are supposed to be given out for giving 100% effort, and having leadership qualities....

Really??? Is that what your Blackshirt handbook says???

I saw at least 4 sacks today.

I saw 2 of the most amazing INTs by..of all things...DLinemen...go figure?!? AND...one of 'em...the biggest of 'em...ran it back 50 friggin' yds for a TD!!! :wtf

OK...I'll admit it...I said 56-13...or something like that...and I expected more today...I don't think anyone deserves a Blackshirt yet either.

But do you really think Bo was saying to himself after the game...You know...those boys were tryin'. I'm thinkin' we should hand out a couple of Blackshirts this week...maybe it'll make 'em feel better...hmmmm...

For some reason he doesn't strike me as the touchy feely type...you know?

Blackshirts are supposed to be given out for giving 100% effort, and having leadership qualities....

Really??? Is that what your Blackshirt handbook says???

I saw at least 4 sacks today.

I saw 2 of the most amazing INTs by..of all things...DLinemen...go figure?!? AND...one of 'em...the biggest of 'em...ran it back 50 friggin' yds for a TD!!! :wtf

OK...I'll admit it...I said 56-13...or something like that...and I expected more today...I don't think anyone deserves a Blackshirt yet either.

But do you really think Bo was saying to himself after the game...You know...those boys were tryin'. I'm thinkin' we should hand out a couple of Blackshirts this week...maybe it'll make 'em feel better...hmmmm...

For some reason he doesn't strike me as the touchy feely type...you know?

Sorry, but I don't agree...I just don't see the leadership coming out yet on defense. There were moments that they looked good, but most of the game it was almost liked they were dazed. If SJS is going to daze them, then what is a team like Misery going to do to them? They have a ways to go, and for starting over, they are coming along slowly...making progress, but they have a long way to go to get to where we need them to be, to become the "Blackshirts". I don't want them handing them out like candy....have a good game or two you get one, then get lazy. I want to see them work their butts off for them, then when they get them, understand that they can lose them as easily.

One problem we will battle all year this year, maybe even next year is the depth issue. There is none, especially with the backs. Missouri may rip us a new one this year if they are on - especially if we just "show up"...that is one game I may have to just find something else to do and hope for the best....could be very painful.

:restore

LOL, I too fear the boogie monster.

Seriously, I don't think this can be viewed as a setback. What would you say if NU had lost?

The problem right now is consistency. At times they look great, at times they look dismal. Both sides of the ball. Special teams did well, I think. Penalties were a KILLER. There are many factors that go into a football game. Mistakes are better made early in the year rather than later.

Well, I can agree that we've definitely got more work to do, but man, I thought the defense did a hell of a job on several occasions. They were able to defeat several third down conversions, downgrading to field goal attempts rather than TDs. I think they did OK. Can they do better? Yes, but I think there was some solid effort today too.

this year.. we make turnovers and make it to where the game changes on a good special teams play.

last year... we lose this game with cosgrove making that face all game again.

i'll take this year over last year any day of the week.

:yeah Just getting the turnovers today was nice if your looking to put a good face on this game. Last year it was bad...guess we need to remember just how had it was, just so that we can see the improvement. And God, yes, not to have the same quotes week to week, and seeing the same expressions on the faces of the coaching staff...life is good this year!!!!!