Blackshirts

I thought Steinkuhler played awfully well again despite double teamed at times. He's definitely a blackshirt. I think the D-line, with Ty, Suh, Allen, and Potter all did a very respectable job.

There are some concerns with the back 7. Some with coverage, but mostly with attacking the ball carrier (QB, RB, WR, whoever has it). The missed tackles thing can drive any observer crazy. Still plenty of time to get better. It's a young, inexperienced group. Just two games into the season, so I cut them some slack to improve. I'm hopeful.

I thought Steinkuhler played awfully well again despite double teamed at times. He's definitely a blackshirt. I think the D-line, with Ty, Suh, Allen, and Potter all did a very respectable job.

There are some concerns with the back 7. Some with coverage, but mostly with attacking the ball carrier (QB, RB, WR, whoever has it). The missed tackles thing can drive any observer crazy. Still plenty of time to get better. It's a young, inexperienced group. Just two games into the season, so I cut them some slack to improve. I'm hopeful.

There were glimmers of hope, but the consistency wasn't what I would call "Blackshirt" quality, not yet. I just don't want to see the whole starting 11 get them, not unless we are holding teams to negative yardage for the game...and we a long way from being close to that.

If we can put a couple of good games together, and start seeing leaders emerge from the defense, I would have no problem with giving out a couple, but I just don't see it yet...

Coaching ... probably a C....they kept their cool, though IMHO they could have gotten in the players shorts a little more the 2nd the 3rd quarter.

This game was a setback, no other way to look at it. We have a lot of work to do to just maintain intensity.

I'm just glad the coaches weren't doing anything in or to anyone else's shorts...

'Specially after the Andy Christensen thing.

Bo seems to be taking this win hard.

(Hope the stress doesn't get to him).

ER2JWsKtRMY

okay... deep breath, people...

if bo and the boys don't see the mistakes *now*, then the mistakes later are gonna the huskers later.

if there are gonna be screw-ups, now is the time to make corrections. not when missouri comes knocking or on the road to lubbock.

did the first half stink? heck, yes. but they did something that the previous regime was not wont to do: the may changes, got fired-up and put forth a concerted effort to improve.

it was an ugly win and a learning experience.

Coaching ... probably a C....they kept their cool, though IMHO they could have gotten in the players shorts a little more the 2nd the 3rd quarter.

This game was a setback, no other way to look at it. We have a lot of work to do to just maintain intensity.

I'm just glad the coaches weren't doing anything in or to anyone else's shorts...

ER2JWsKtRMY

wow, wow, wow! Pelini seemed really down and disappointed. i have never heard him so humble. he sounds like he was surprised the kids played as poorly as they did, i think it caught him by surprise. i don't think he chews butt or makes the kids run steps on Monday....i would think film time for these players would be crucial reviewing what they did not achieve....one thing i heard him say, that disappoints me....."we'll never reach perfection"......has he already tempered his own expectations for what these players can achieve?

ER2JWsKtRMY

wow, wow, wow! Pelini seemed really down and disappointed. i have never heard him so humble. he sounds like he was surprised the kids played as poorly as they did, i think it caught him by surprise. i don't think he chews butt or makes the kids run steps on Monday....i would think film time for these players would be crucial reviewing what they did not achieve....one thing i heard him say, that disappoints me....."we'll never reach perfection"......has he already tempered his own expectations for what these players can achieve?

Bo has tempered his expectations --- certainly. He said he expects perfection (that he has said a number of times) and in the interview after this game he said we'll "never have perfection." But more pointedly, if you have listened closely Bo has warned the fans repeatedly that this team is limited and that we will struggle. He has seen what top tier talent looks like (at LSU and Oklahoma) and he knows that NU is very, very, very, very far off of that level of talent.

I return to a previous contention I have made that others did not like --- it is this --- Pelini has inherited less talent than Solich did (by far) and less talent than Callahan did (also by a good margin). NU is farther away in every respect, especially talent, from rebuilding now than they were when Callahan started. Cally left the program with less talent than was here when he arrived. The notion of great Callahan recruiting was fiction --- he was no better than Solich as a recruiter. Bo has a very limited group of athletes. And Bo knows this.

sobering assessment at best....if you have a Blackshirt sweatshirt or hat, you may want to "moth ball" it for awhile.......even though he recognizes he is short on athletes, he will challenge these kids to play better, he has to, he must begin to get underachievers to overachieve.

it's how you begin to build a program out of nothing.......

The beauty of web boards- 40 different couches and we saw 40 different games!

Not a stellar game but Husker Trucker your grading seems a little harsh. Special Teams C? um....momentum changing touchdown?

Although the first 1/2 was bad THE DEFENSE WON THIS GAME!! I don't think they deserve Balckshirts yet but I think they might have turned a corner in the 2nd half. Already have almost as many sacks as last year and the turnover numbers are improving as well.

I don't think Bo and the coaches got "in the def' shorts" because I think they might be a little fragile after last year. Whatever they did at half time worked for the D. The staff did a great job in the locker room.

The penalties were baffling but I bet this gets fixed. The offense sucked byut they'll rebound. The coaches might need to tear into the O line alittle. They are being giant wussies right now.

I'm still not sure how I feel about robskers talent assesment. I do know that watching Miami and Florida didn't even look like the same sport (Neither did Mizzou- Illinois last week). I'm sure we've got a long ways to go but this is still a 6-8 win team. Isn't that what most of us thought?

The great thing is that they can and will get much better. I didn't see that at any point last year.

My prediction: Next week we rebound and look great and the wrist slitting depression from some will be back to kool-aid drinking hell yeahs!! And we'll still be a 6-8 win team.

Blackshirts are supposed to be given out for giving 100% effort, and having leadership qualities....

Really??? Is that what your Blackshirt handbook says???

I saw at least 4 sacks today.

I saw 2 of the most amazing INTs by..of all things...DLinemen...go figure?!? AND...one of 'em...the biggest of 'em...ran it back 50 friggin' yds for a TD!!! :wtf

OK...I'll admit it...I said 56-13...or something like that...and I expected more today...I don't think anyone deserves a Blackshirt yet either.

But do you really think Bo was saying to himself after the game...You know...those boys were tryin'. I'm thinkin' we should hand out a couple of Blackshirts this week...maybe it'll make 'em feel better...hmmmm...

For some reason he doesn't strike me as the touchy feely type...you know?

I agree that the D did its share - you predicted 13 and they allowed 12 PLUS contributed a touchdown. Im thinking a couple more games of similar or better effort/results

...What would you say if NU had lost?...

OMG...they'd have to post state troopers at every friggin' precipice in the state!!!

Well the good news there is that only 4 state troopers would have to work.

(google)

precipice

Noun

the very steep face of a cliff

:wtf

???

Everybody!

Stay away from the Cliffs Notes and Boston postmen!

And..While you're at it..Someone give ol' Bo a Hugg.

I still feel Defense is going to be our strength this season.

Although Special Teams is a pleasant surprise.

As always, context is everything...

apply everything you saw and read and heard about this game to this context:

#44 NU at HOME vs #93 SJS on the road.

SJS was 5-7 and 4-4 in WAC play.

So far NU hasn't played a team with a 2007 winning record.

Oh... one more piece of context--

Nu was 5-7 and 2-6 in B12 play in 2007, rookie HC, lots of staff changes and two games into the pelini era.

Now, draw your respective opinions.

Was the team performance good, bad or somewhere in between??

my opinion-- the team has a LONG way to go. they are what they are (given the context) and may disappoint many this season.

But each game has context and opinions vary.

BTW- I predict they'll hand out blackshirts for the vaTech game.

GO BO!!

BEAT NMS!!

...What would you say if NU had lost?...

OMG...they'd have to post state troopers at every friggin' precipice in the state!!!

Well the good news there is that only 4 state troopers would have to work.

I don't care who you are...that there's funny!!!

I still don't get it.