Anybody else doubting Cotton?

husker4

I think someone brought up somewhere on the radio or something that there is a bit of an issue of teaching "old dogs new tricks" across the board. Something like the coaches were saying that during the games players were often lapsing back into their previous techniques coaching wise. Like perhaps one reason Glenn looks so good is because of this, he may be making lots of mental errors but the only technique he knows is what he has learned since spring.

Yep! I think it was Jason Peters who brought this up or someone on his radio show. You can't expect some of these guys to just chuck 2-3 years of training overnight. But I do expect them to start paying attention sometime, or else sit them down.

My opinion is Bo will start paying a little more attention to the offensive side of the house. He has got to learn to watch it all, don't become one dimensional in his coaching. :rant

Unbelieveable.

Some just do not understand where we are. We had a very bad Oline last year, it was obvious in the SC and Missouri game. We are seeing what we have to work with. Where some got the idea we had a great O line and had depth, has trouble me since day one.

We have a below average line with below average talent for depth.

This is the exact crap some of us have been talking about. Not winning like some have expected, still winning I might add, but expecting to look like the 90 type teams. This is the pressure that this program or coaching staff does not need. Unrealistic is the word.

Give this staff the time to get the level of athlete they need.

7-5 is where we are headed, and it will not be pretty at times. But expecting this to be a NC type line was never anything I could comprehend. How some do is beyond me.

Give this staff the time it needs. It is a great staff, and the ones Bo wanted. When you question his staff you question is ability, remember that.

agree, just because we got back most of the offense doesn't mean they are automatically going to be better, but they should be, as Watson has been a stable figure through this transition....

I think someone brought up somewhere on the radio or something that there is a bit of an issue of teaching "old dogs new tricks" across the board. Something like the coaches were saying that during the games players were often lapsing back into their previous techniques coaching wise. Like perhaps one reason Glenn looks so good is because of this, he may be making lots of mental errors but the only technique he knows is what he has learned since spring.

Yep! I think it was Jason Peters who brought this up or someone on his radio show. You can't expect some of these guys to just chuck 2-3 years of training overnight. But I do expect them to start paying attention sometime, or else sit them down.

My opinion is Bo will start paying a little more attention to the offensive side of the house. He has got to learn to watch it all, don't become one dimensional in his coaching. :rant

Bo is still learning, he is busy with the D.......this is Watson's sole responsibility....he needs to drive. that is why we kept him.

It's waaaaaaay too early to even think about firing Barney. I think everyone can agree with that. Hell, maybe this unit is just getting a slow start and the next eight weeks or so will prove they just needed to jell a little more. I don't know.

BUT.

If this line underperforms like this all year, I think it's a pretty legitimate question to ask why it's happening. While our young receivers are stepping up, our defense is saving the day, our QB is putting up big passing numbers, our TEs are making big plays––we have this little drop in performance from one position on the field. It's just bad business. I hope Cotton can get this unit going.

I keep seeing Murtha's name mentioned, where is he. All I know is that he is always hurt. I don't think when anyone talks about the O/L he should be considered as a starter or why we can't run the ball with the players we have back. I remember reading some posts on a Minn board when he signed with the huskers, that said he wasn't as good as his Bio says he is , because he was just so much bigger than the kids he was going up against. Don't know if they were right or not, but seems to me he can't hold up against players his size. At least not for a full season. This is it, he is a senior, let it all out, there's no next year.

Hope he proves them wrong, we could sure use him now.

GBR!!!

Here we go about Barney:

NU in 03 235 rushing per game for 4.3 a carry. (72 ypg being QB Lord)

ISU 04 141 ypg 3.2 ypc

ISU 05 110 ypg 2.7 ypc

ISU 06 101 ypg 3.0 ypg

If you ask me rushing yards and line play go hand in hand. Barney's lines have never really beat teams around and please name a single lineman that has shown improvement on the field under his watch. On Bo's pre-season show he said that Slauson was maybe the most talented Guard he had been around so why hasn't it shown on the field the first two games?

This point last year the team had already rushed for over 500 total yards with basically the same line except for Nicks playing basically the same type teams. This year we have 230 yards. I'm not saying it is all Barney I'm just saying it may be Barney.

This point last year the team had already rushed for over 500 total yards with basically the same line except for Nicks playing basically the same type teams. This year we have 230 yards. I'm not saying it is all Barney I'm just saying it may be Barney.

You are really good at "I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

I'm personally not sold on Slauson. Isn't he the one that paints his face like it's supposed to scare his opponents? Sounds like a gimmick to me.

Here we go about Barney:

ISU 04 141 ypg 3.2 ypc

ISU 05 110 ypg 2.7 ypc

ISU 06 101 ypg 3.0 ypg

If you ask me rushing yards and line play go hand in hand. Barney's lines have never really beat teams around and please name a single lineman that has shown improvement on the field under his watch. On Bo's pre-season show he said that Slauson was maybe the most talented Guard he had been around so why hasn't it shown on the field the first two games?

You can't say "look at the last 2 guys he worked for." As we can see now, the Solich firing dedhoarse was a huge mistake, and McCarney was the best coach in ISU history. You also can't compare what Barney did at ISU and what he has done anywhere else, it's apples to oranges. I've always liked the guy, but we need more results. I'm not sold on him.

Maybe we should look at the offensive coordinator, that is one guy that never should have kept his job. His offensives were ok at best at CU.

And do not say we need to recruit new athletes into this program for Bo to be successful. That's just starting a cop out incase Bo does flounder. We can bash Cally all freakin' day, but there is one thing we can NEVER bash him for and that is bringing in talent to this program. If he could coach it worth a darn, the guy would still have a job.

After 2 games against lower Divison 1 schools and what happened last year, do you really believe this statement? I know that most of us were hoping that Calllllllahan would restock the shelves ala John Blake but this just isn't true. He brought in less talent than Solich. At least some of Frank's kids play in the NFL and I don't think that many of Calllllllahan's kids will.

You are really good at "I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

I'm personally not sold on Slauson. Isn't he the one that paints his face like it's supposed to scare his opponents? Sounds like a gimmick to me.

Fine I'll say it, Barney is not the answer. There you made me say it.

Barney is an average coach point made end of story I'm done trying to explain that to people.

I agree about Slauson, he appears to be the 2nd coming of Richie where people assume he is a good OL because he starts at NU and that is what has been shoved down our throats, even if their play on the field says otherwise.

Here we go about Barney:

ISU 04 141 ypg 3.2 ypc

ISU 05 110 ypg 2.7 ypc

ISU 06 101 ypg 3.0 ypg

You can't say "look at the last 2 guys he worked for." As we can see now, the Solich firing dedhoarse was a huge mistake, and McCarney was the best coach in ISU history. You also can't compare what Barney did at ISU and what he has done anywhere else, it's apples to oranges. I've always liked the guy, but we need more results. I'm not sold on him.

Maybe we should look at the offensive coordinator, that is one guy that never should have kept his job. His offensives were ok at best at CU.

The fact is that the last 2 coaches he worked for got fired. Also if he was such a hot coach how come he didn't land a better gig then ISU after losing his job here and then after getting the boot for the 2nd time in a row how come he had to have a buddy throw him a bone to get the job here? Barney's history equals Cosgroves history with less sucess. Average at best.

Here is some information on Watson. Notice the 4 North Titles and 1 Conference title. He doesn't coach the line he calls the plays and coaches the QB's. Line play is all on Barney and Bo not on Watson.

Watson was on the staff of four Colorado teams that won the Big 12 North Division, including a conference championship in 2001.

Under Watson, Colorado’s offense showed its flexibility and the ability to adapt to the Buffs’ offensive talent. Colorado ranked 20th nationally in total offense in 2001, and was only the third team in CU history to average both 200 yards rushing and passing. After relying on a ground-oriented attack in 2001 and 2002, the 2003 Buffs featured a prolific passing attack, ranking 18th nationally at 279.3 yards per game.

Colorado’s 2004 team produced a 1,000-yard rusher and a 2,000-yard passer for just the second time in school history. In 2005, Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt re-wrote the CU record book under Watson’s guidance. Klatt finished his Buff career as the holder of 44 school records, including most career pass completions, attempts and passing yards.

Like I said, I understand this is a rebuilding year and I trust Bo's staff 100%.

I just worry a bit about Cotton, because he's never really proven himself as a good coach... I don't know I guess we'll find out.

if you:

I trust Bo's staff 100%.

you wouldn't say:

I just worry a bit about Cotton, because he's never really proven himself as a good coach

Hmmm....

it's two games into the Bo Pelini era. Too many folks are expecting too much too early.

but opinions vary.

GO BO!!

BEAT NMS!!

Fine I'll say it, Barney is not the answer. There you made me say it.

Barney is an average coach point made end of story I'm done trying to explain that to people.

I agree about Slauson, he appears to be the 2nd coming of Richie where people assume he is a good OL because he starts at NU and that is what has been shoved down our throats, even if their play on the field says otherwise.

I'm just trying to give you a hard time...I agree with you on most of your points. Seems like we are told quite a bit of good things about these players yet IMO they wouldn't have been starters in the early 2000s.