Anybody else doubting Cotton?

husker4

Like I said, I understand this is a rebuilding year and I trust Bo's staff 100%. I just worry a bit about Cotton, because he's never really proven himself as a good coach... I don't know I guess we'll find out.

:bang

Prove yourself as a good fan, supportive of your team, and give them a chance to get this whole thing worked out. If there are changes that need to be made in the coming seasons, I am sure Dr. Tom will see to it that they are made. This coaching staff is basically working with players that were brought in by the previous administration, and have not had a real chance to work with them under game conditions.

I don't want to see this thing start progressing like it did with BC...so lets just get off this kick of going after coaches. This is Bo's staff, he should do the hiring and firing as he sees fit. When you as a fan start signing the actual paychecks of the coaches, then maybe they will give you the authority to hire and fire them. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Bo's job basically hinges on the performance of not only himself, but his coaches. I am sure if he didn't think someone could do the job, he would get him replaced pronto. So...let's just back off.

So we should be a bunch of stepford wives and pretend everything is hunky dory? Not this fan. And I am a fan by the way. Being critical of what is happening on the field doesn't make anyone a bad fan, it makes them a realistic one.

You're statistics are totally misleading...

There aren't my stats they are ISU's under Barney-ball. If you can't look at the stats what can you look at? Rushing yards a game have nothing to do with the passing stats that Meyer and Blthye milked the first few years until they hit their peaks and teams figured them out. I listed RUSHING YARDS and you tell me they are misleading by throwing out Meyer's PASSING YARDS. You also said you can't count the yards lost from a sack, I say BS because the discussion is about Barney's coaching and didn't he coach the OL at ISU? So aren't sacks usually because of crappy blocking?

Like I said before nothing ANYBODY says can change my view of Barney and his lack of coaching skill. He is Cosgrove without the success. Look at the stats and you will see what I mean. The won't mislead you.

Great...then I'm going back in time and pulling out...say...5 of Hipp's games, or Redwine's games or whoever....just gonna throw them out and pretend they were injured for the same spell that Stevie Hicks was back during Cotton's stay at ISU.

Wow...the Cornhusker rushing average per carry sucked once I did that! I'm surprised you could win at all, let alone a National Championship...with an average like that. The OL coach must have been a total ass!

Want some fun...take away Lucky's stats from the first four games last year and then work out your per rush average for 2007 and see what you get. Makes a little difference when the guy you expect to be your leading ball carrier gets knocked out for a few games huh?

:sarcasm Welcome back Cy....seen your Cyclones won Saturday...how many times did you have to short chain to get a first down for them?

Wow, kinda splitting hairs, aren't we?

1. How about the fact that almost all of those runs by Lord were DESIGNED QB RUNS that the line created a SPECIFIC hole for the QB to run through. Kinda like a RB, don't you think? There was also the fact that Cotton was also the OC that year. He had help on the Oline and more responsibility that just that.

2. If you take away the best runner from any team, their stats are going to drop. Don't you think a great team would do better than ISU? Do you really believe the backup to the starter, regardless of his talent to somebody from 10 years ago (I still don't know what the hell that has to do with anything in this argument), is going to be as talented at ISU as say Texas or OU?

3. Can you for one second stop the bashing and think about this? We have played two games with a bunch of guys that are trying to completely change the offense. If you go back and remember the offensive coaches re-designed the blocking schemes from last year on the run game. They got the receivers and tightends more involved at the request of Ron Brown and changed the Oline's assignments on many plays because Barney and Watson didn't like Callahan's ideas. That's right, Callahan. We keep forgetting that he is an OLine coach. That's what he is in the f*ckin' NFL, for christ sakes. (along with running game cooridinator which sucks for Brett Favre!) You don't think he had some input to the blocking schemes?

Bo said that they are 1 guy off on many plays. 1 guy off is everything in a run play. Let's give them more than two weeks and a slew of injuries before we start the "my buddy works for Time Warner and they disconnected Cotton's cable" bull sh!t.

Be proud, be loud, wear red. Go Huskers

So we should be a bunch of stepford wives and pretend everything is hunky dory? Not this fan. And I am a fan by the way. Being critical of what is happening on the field doesn't make anyone a bad fan, it makes them a realistic one.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap

Being critical after two games isn't realistic.

:yeah

you might need a bigger body of work before you make this kind of judgement

"Being critical of what is happening on the field doesn't make anyone a bad fan, it makes them a realistic one."

...or an uninformed one.

If everything was Hunky Dory, we wouldn't have Bo. We know it isn't, just give him more than 120 minutes of football to judge his entire staff on.

"Being critical of what is happening on the field doesn't make anyone a bad fan, it makes them a realistic one."

...or an uninformed one.

If everything was Hunky Dory, we wouldn't have Bo. We know it isn't, just give him more than 120 minutes of football to judge his entire staff on.

For the last time go look at Cotton's track of nonsuccess. Is that a big enough body of work to make a judgement? I have had more then 120 minutes of football to base my opinion on him.

Certainly it is. The running game is struggling and there are issues there than need to be addressed. But look I'm not throwing in the towel on the whole season already. I have alot of confidence is the coaching staff, they'll get it going. I can nearly guarantee you that after only two games the two most critical eyes in the state belong to Pelini. He's a self-admitted perfectionist, and he knows what he needs to do.

...or an uninformed one.

For the last time go look at Cotton's track of nonsuccess. Is that a big enough body of work to make a judgement? I have had more then 120 minutes of football to base my opinion on him.

If you are going to go this route, you need to give the man credit for his whole D1 coaching career. From 1997-2002 he was the Offensive Coordinator/O-line Coach for New Mexico State. Below are the stats for each season from 1999-2002.

RUSH YDS RANK

1999 - 2450 14th

2000 - 2972 6th

2001 - 2493 19th

2002 - 2575 14th

From looking at this, I think it is an unfair statement to say Cotton's track record is only of nonsuccess. He also guided NU to 7th in Rushing Yards in 2003. Granted NU was a mostly a run only team then and was almost always in the top 10, but he still did the job.

...or an uninformed one.

If you are going to go this route, you need to give the man credit for his whole D1 coaching career. From 1997-2002 he was the Offensive Coordinator/O-line Coach for New Mexico State. Below are the stats for each season from 1999-2002.

RUSH YDS RANK

1999 - 2450 14th

2000 - 2972 6th

2001 - 2493 19th

2002 - 2575 14th

From looking at this, I think it is an unfair statement to say Cotton's track record is only of nonsuccess. He also guided NU to 7th in Rushing Yards in 2003. Granted NU was a mostly a run only team then and was almost always in the top 10, but he still did the job.

Hey Coach of the Year at Hastings College! :koolaid2:

RUSH YDS RANK

1999 - 2450 14th

2000 - 2972 6th

2001 - 2493 19th

2002 - 2575 14th

OL/OC at New Mexico State is about the level he should be at not at Nebraska. IMO

As far as his leading the 2003 offense that team had the lowest rushing yards per game and total offense per game of any of the run first offenses at Nebraska as far as I can remember (1980-2003) :wtf and since then only the 2005 team averaged less total offensive yards a game. To add to that only two other teams since 1980 are within 30 yards of total offense and that is the 2002 & 2004 :bang teams and nobody here would say that those teams were awesome. What does this all mean? :dunno I don't know but compared to other NU teams the 2003 offense led by Barney ranks at or near the bottom. (Note: All of the Callahan teams had lower rushing yards per game averages but only one had less total yards per game)

That season also proved that defense wins ballgames. As we averaged the 2nd lowest point total per game since 1980 but the defense held the other team to 10 less points a game. (Like I said I trust Bo :clap I don't trust Barney dedhoarse )

And I'm out! :koolaid2::moreinteresting:boxosoap

RUSH YDS RANK

1999 - 2450 14th

2000 - 2972 6th

2001 - 2493 19th

2002 - 2575 14th

OL/OC at New Mexico State is about the level he should be at not at Nebraska. IMO

As far as his leading the 2003 offense that team had the lowest rushing yards per game and total offense per game of any of the run first offenses at Nebraska as far as I can remember (1980-2003) :wtf and since then only the 2005 team averaged less total offensive yards a game. To add to that only two other teams since 1980 are within 30 yards of total offense and that is the 2002 & 2004 :bang teams and nobody here would say that those teams were awesome. What does this all mean? :dunno I don't know but compared to other NU teams the 2003 offense led by Barney ranks at or near the bottom. (Note: All of the Callahan teams had lower rushing yards per game averages but only one had less total yards per game)

That season also proved that defense wins ballgames. As we averaged the 2nd lowest point total per game since 1980 but the defense held the other team to 10 less points a game. (Like I said I trust Bo :clap I don't trust Barney dedhoarse )

And I'm out! :koolaid2::moreinteresting:boxosoap

You absolutely may be right, I hope not because that will mean NU will struggle, but you have a point about '03. Average per rush dropped nearly a yard to just over 4. Average per game dropped by 30 yds/game from '02, not a great year, and much farther from '01 and '00. The attempts were higher in '03 than in '00 and '01, but slightly lower than in '02. Passing meanwhile was about the same as the previous 4 years. Like you said the output in '03 was lower and would seem to be an indication of Cotton's poor performance. I would like to think that this year is different in that he is not the OC like he was in '03, so his time is solely dedicated to coaching the line, I assume his split duties in '03 had to take away from this aspect atleast in some respect. Here's to hoping his true calling is as an O-line Coach and not an OC.