Larry Asante

Could Larry Asante be another Cortney Grixby :dunno

Man I hope so because Grixby was one of the few that played really well last season.

Anyway, wasn't it Asante that got beat on that 40(?) yard pass play in the 4th quarter? Was really the only big play we gave up in the 2nd half. I don't remember if it was him or not.

I didn't mean that to be a good thing. Grixby was getting so much crap from the fans of not being a really good DB and I remember going to a home game and he allowed a long pass or something and hearing the students yelling "One More Year" or "He's a Senior" (which at that time he was a Junior so I don't know why they were saying the senior part). But Grixby did have an outstanding year last year from previous years.

Yeah, I remember. I was being sarcastic. I know he didn't have a great start to his husker career but it speaks volumes the way he played last year when the rest of the defense was going up in flames.

Wow, guys...give the kid a break. After being practically uncoached, he is trying to learn a new system and new techniques. Asante will be okay. I remember any number of Nebraska defensive backs over the years having problems.

Or, you can always go to practice and tell the Pelini brothers and Sanders that Asante is terrible and that they don't know what they are doing by putting him on the field. Then you can go out in practice and show all of the players how to cover and how to tackle.

Let me know when you do that...I would pay good money to watch.

O’Hanlon shouldn’t get a pass in this discussion either. He has been just as bad as Asante.

I disagree. O'Hanlon has looked pretty good the few times I've seen him. He's made some mistakes, but he's pretty fast and athletic. I haven't seen either Culbert or Thenarse play, so no reason to think anyone should be replacing Matt.

I've noticed quite a few people complaining about O'Hanlon or saying we really need Thenarse to start (I'm not referring to the poster I'm quoting). I think this has more to do with him being a "walk-on" as opposed to a "scholarship" player. IMO, that has absolutely nothing to do with playing well or who starts.

I disagree with your disagreement. I don't hold anything against O'Hanlon for being a walk on I just don't think he has shown anything in the first 2 games. Go back and watch the games if you can and keep an eye on him. He is always late on run plays and usually out of position on passes. Basically all the things Asante takes heat for his Safety mate is just as guilty. IMO

Could Larry Asante be another Cortney Grixby :dunno

Man I hope so because Grixby was one of the few that played really well last season.

Anyway, wasn't it Asante that got beat on that 40(?) yard pass play in the 4th quarter? Was really the only big play we gave up in the 2nd half. I don't remember if it was him or not.

I didn't mean that to be a good thing. Grixby was getting so much crap from the fans of not being a really good DB and I remember going to a home game and he allowed a long pass or something and hearing the students yelling "One More Year" or "He's a Senior" (which at that time he was a Junior so I don't know why they were saying the senior part). But Grixby did have an outstanding year last year from previous years.

Yeah, I remember. I was being sarcastic. I know he didn't have a great start to his husker career but it speaks volumes the way he played last year when the rest of the defense was going up in flames.

if he was 4 inches taller he may have been one of the best DB's we've seen.....

Wow, guys...give the kid a break. After being practically uncoached, he is trying to learn a new system and new techniques. Asante will be okay. I remember any number of Nebraska defensive backs over the years having problems.

Or, you can always go to practice and tell the Pelini brothers and Sanders that Asante is terrible and that they don't know what they are doing by putting him on the field. Then you can go out in practice and show all of the players how to cover and how to tackle.

I respect what you're saying and of course we wish him the best, but he's not a 12 year old boy. He's a grown man and considering how poorly he's played in the first two games, I think a little criticism is justified.

I respect what you're saying and of course we wish him the best, but he's not a 12 year old boy. He's a grown man and considering how poorly he's played in the first two games, I think a little criticism is justified.

he's a grown man now... and when it comes to college students in general we're all just kids.... its all depending on how the individual wants to take the situation at that time....

Yeah, don't put this on a kid who is doing everything right. He's a kid. Why don't you go after me? I'm a man! I'm 40 41!!!

Sincerely,

Mike Gundy

O’Hanlon shouldn’t get a pass in this discussion either. He has been just as bad as Asante.

I disagree. O'Hanlon has looked pretty good the few times I've seen him. He's made some mistakes, but he's pretty fast and athletic. I haven't seen either Culbert or Thenarse play, so no reason to think anyone should be replacing Matt.

I've noticed quite a few people complaining about O'Hanlon or saying we really need Thenarse to start (I'm not referring to the poster I'm quoting). I think this has more to do with him being a "walk-on" as opposed to a "scholarship" player. IMO, that has absolutely nothing to do with playing well or who starts.

I disagree with your disagreement. I don't hold anything against O'Hanlon for being a walk on I just don't think he has shown anything in the first 2 games. Go back and watch the games if you can and keep an eye on him. He is always late on run plays and usually out of position on passes. Basically all the things Asante takes heat for his Safety mate is just as guilty. IMO

OMG, i am going to agree with a MOD/ADMIN type

while O'Hanlon has mad a few good plays, he has been way out of position and missed quite a few more

OMG, i am going to agree with a MOD/ADMIN type

while O'Hanlon has mad a few good plays, he has been way out of position and missed quite a few more

Yeah, hopefully rickey being back can make a difference.

Well, I disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreement.

Eh, not really, but I just wanted to say that. Honestly I believe both safeties need work. There was one play in particular where I remember the ball being thrown almost right to Matt O'Hanlon and he dropped it. It was a great play that he stepped in front and made the play...but he needs to finish it. He needs to make that interception.

And then I believe there was another time where Asante covered a slant and the QB threw the ball in a way where it almost looked like it was intended for Asante...and he dropped it. Don't quote me on this one, but I do believe it was Asante. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong (it happens every once in a while).

If you want a bottom line: our secondary needs alot of work.