The Giant Log Jam

The upcoming round of games in the Big 12 should be pretty telling. I think we might see a few teams drop from the unbeaten ranks but still end up with a total log jam. A lot of teams are going to be taking on decent opponents for the first time this year and it looks like in the North, NU has the best chance of coming out on top as the weekend plays out. Here’s how I see the matchups:

Missouri (2-0) vs Nevada (1-1) – Missouri, who already has a signature win this season against Illinois should overpower Nevada. But, you can’t count Nevada completely out as their defense did give Texas Tech a run for it’s money last week

Missouri (3-0)

Kansas (2-0) vs University of South Florida (2-0) – I was pretty sure that USF would crush Kansas but after watching them struggle against UCF last weekend…not so sure. Kansas’ smashing victories over powerhouses Florida International and Louisiana Tech don’t tell me much about their team but neither do USF’s victories over UCF and Tennessee-Martin. I think it comes down to KU pass offense vs USF pass defense and if last weekend is any indication, Reesing and Kansas win this one.

Kansas (3-0)

Colorado (2-0) vs West Virginia (1-1) – Yeah, West Virginia got beat by East Carolina but I’ve seen the CU defense come out sluggish and get outperformed in the 1st half in both the CSU and East Washington game. They get things squared away in the 2nd half but, against WV that might be too late. I think Colorado lets this one get away early and can’t catch up

Colorado (2-1)

Kansas State (2-0) vs Louisville (1-1) – A toss-up between two unknowns. K-State has pounded two weaklings (North Texas and Montana State) while Louisville lost to Kentucky before getting their chance to pound Tennessee Tech. Two schools that appear to have high powered offensive weapons when pummeling cupcakes…frankly, both schools suffer from the “ho-hum” factor right now. I’ll give the nod to the home field advantage at Louisville

Kansas State (2-1)

Iowa State (2-0) vs Iowa (2-0) – This is the state rivalry game so everyone in the state is pretty excited (while the rest of the nation can’t find the state on a map). Two goofy-ass teams who can’t decide who their starting QB should be so they just play both of them. ISU has a more potent offense…Iowa has a better defense. It kills me to say it but I think Iowa wins just on the fact that the game is in Iowa City and the home team has won each of the last 10 meetings

Iowa State (2-1)

Nebraska (2-0) vs New Mexico State (0-0) – No matter how good or how bad anyone of you think Nebraska has played this year, they HAVE played a couple of games while this is the first time NWSU has been on the field against an opponent (their first game was postponed). It sucks to be NWSU….

Nebraska (3-0)

In the South…without going into as much depth, there are also some good match-ups

Baylor (1-1) vs Washington State (0-2) – Could be the game WSU needs after the brutal start against OK State and California….but I don’t think so.

Baylor (2-1)

Texas (2-0) vs Arkansas (2-0) – Arkansas looks very beatable this year….

Texas (3-0)

Texas Tech (2-0) vs SMU (1-1) – I long for the good old days when SMU violated all the NCAA rules in order to field a great football team…*sigh*

Texas Tech (3-0)

Oklahoma State (2-0) vs Missouri State (0-2) – Uh…come on!

OK State (3-0)

Oklahoma (2-0) vs Washington (0-2) – Geez, these schools from Washington are gluttons for punishment (see Washington State). First you have Oregon, BYU and then Oklahoma???

Oklahoma (3-0)

Texas A&M (1-1) vs Miami of Florida (1-1) – M of F has actually been playing some good ball…just ask the Gators. A&M, on the other hand, hasn’t

Texas A&M (1-2)

Feel free to argue with any of those picks. I’ll just ignore you anyway….. <_<

Kansas will beat South Florida. 31-24

:yeah If USF couldn't stop Central Florida's passing game, why would they be able to stop Kansas? Apparently a Big East team replacing two N.F.L. draft picks at corner doesn't just reload. Kansas double-teams Selvie and Reesing picks these guys apart.

I just want to see some great games this weekend for a change. Is that too much to ask ?

What, you didn't enjoy that defensive struggle between SDSU and ND? :sarcasm

:yeah If USF couldn't stop Central Florida's passing game, why would they be able to stop Kansas? Apparently a Big East team replacing two N.F.L. draft picks at corner doesn't just reload. Kansas double-teams Selvie and Reesing picks these guys apart.

Did you watch that game???? UCF had barely 200 yards of offense and USF made the mistake of letting off the gas. Also, USF was missing their 1st and 2nd string RB's, which explains why they let off the running game at the end. I guarantee, if Mike Ford and Ben Williams were in that game, it ends 24-10 or 31-10.

Bulls by 8.