CFN Prediction

Kansas (2-0) at South Florida (2-0), 8:00 EST ESPN2 Friday, September 12

Why to watch: ESPN2? ESPN2?! This is a BCS-caliber showdown worthy of an Orange Bowl, but it’s an afterthought on a huge weekend of games. This will be one of the big bragging right games for two conferences and two teams looking to prove that last year wasn’t a fluke. The Big East desperately needs something positive to go its way after a nightmare of a start to the 2008 season, and a win over Kansas in a super-charged atmosphere would do it. USF wasn’t sharp and almost lost to a vastly inferior UCF team in overtime last week, but came through with a touchdown pass to take the lead and a hold to end the fun. Next week the Bulls go back into cupcake-land with a date with FIU, who lost to KU to start the season, 40-10. Kansas came up with a good win over Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, but there’s still a sense of skepticism around Mark Mangino’s club. It had one other big test last year, Missouri, and lost. However, if the Jayhawks go into Tampa and come out alive, they should end up going 6-0 before a road trip to Oklahoma.

Why Kansas might win: This is a brutally efficient team leads the nation in pass efficiency defense and has allowed just 406 total yards of offense and no touchdowns. The one touchdown given up came on a punt return against FIU. Meanwhile, the offense has gone back to last year as Todd Reesing has been ultra-efficient. South Florida has an aggressive, tough defense, but it hasn’t shown it yet this year when it comes to getting into the backfield.

Why South Florida might win: The USF run defense has been a brick wall so far, and KU is still trying to figure out its running back situation. The Bulls would’ve beaten UCF with ease last week if they were focused and didn’t turn the ball over twice. Matt Grothe has the offense humming with a nice balance; the team isn’t just about defense like it was at times last year.

Who to watch: This game is on the two star quarterbacks. Grothe was brilliant against UCF, outside of the two interceptions. The junior threw for 346 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 54 yards, and threw a nice ball on the game-winning score. Meanwhile, Reesing has thrown for 668 yards and six touchdowns with an interception in his first two games. He’s a steady junior leader who can’t get rattled when the Bull defense starts swarming.

What will happen: South Florida will have the emotion and the fire, but Kansas will have the execution. It’ll be a hard-hitting battle with several big plays and lots of points, but KU will win the battle of the two star quarterbacks.

CFN Prediction: Kansas 27 … South Florida 24 ... Line: USF -3

I TOLD YOU BOYS! Vegas is giving out free money! Bet on the Hawks today and cash in with me! However, I think the line is now USF by 2. I made my bet on Tuesday when it was USF by 3.5.

KU will win by 13. Free money boy!! Get it while it lasts!!! Linemakers error!!!

:koolaid2:

Kansas (2-0) at South Florida (2-0), 8:00 EST ESPN2 Friday, September 12

Why to watch: ESPN2? ESPN2?! This is a BCS-caliber showdown worthy of an Orange Bowl, but it’s an afterthought on a huge weekend of games. This will be one of the big bragging right games for two conferences and two teams looking to prove that last year wasn’t a fluke. The Big East desperately needs something positive to go its way after a nightmare of a start to the 2008 season, and a win over Kansas in a super-charged atmosphere would do it. USF wasn’t sharp and almost lost to a vastly inferior UCF team in overtime last week, but came through with a touchdown pass to take the lead and a hold to end the fun. Next week the Bulls go back into cupcake-land with a date with FIU, who lost to KU to start the season, 40-10. Kansas came up with a good win over Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, but there’s still a sense of skepticism around Mark Mangino’s club. It had one other big test last year, Missouri, and lost. However, if the Jayhawks go into Tampa and come out alive, they should end up going 6-0 before a road trip to Oklahoma.

Why Kansas might win: This is a brutally efficient team leads the nation in pass efficiency defense and has allowed just 406 total yards of offense and no touchdowns. The one touchdown given up came on a punt return against FIU. Meanwhile, the offense has gone back to last year as Todd Reesing has been ultra-efficient. South Florida has an aggressive, tough defense, but it hasn’t shown it yet this year when it comes to getting into the backfield.

Why South Florida might win: The USF run defense has been a brick wall so far, and KU is still trying to figure out its running back situation. The Bulls would’ve beaten UCF with ease last week if they were focused and didn’t turn the ball over twice. Matt Grothe has the offense humming with a nice balance; the team isn’t just about defense like it was at times last year.

Who to watch: This game is on the two star quarterbacks. Grothe was brilliant against UCF, outside of the two interceptions. The junior threw for 346 yards and three touchdowns and ran for 54 yards, and threw a nice ball on the game-winning score. Meanwhile, Reesing has thrown for 668 yards and six touchdowns with an interception in his first two games. He’s a steady junior leader who can’t get rattled when the Bull defense starts swarming.

What will happen: South Florida will have the emotion and the fire, but Kansas will have the execution. It’ll be a hard-hitting battle with several big plays and lots of points, but KU will win the battle of the two star quarterbacks.

CFN Prediction: Kansas 27 … South Florida 24 ... Line: USF -3

I TOLD YOU BOYS! Vegas is giving out free money! Bet on the Hawks today and cash in with me! However, I think the line is now USF by 2. I made my bet on Tuesday when it was USF by 3.5.

KU will win by 13. Free money boy!! Get it while it lasts!!! Linemakers error!!!

:koolaid2:

whoa doublepost jhawk fan.

The national media wont give us any respect until we beat someone

worthwhile. One year just wont do it for a traditonally awful football program.

We are gonna have to be consistent on a weekly AND yearly basis.

As long as Mangino doesnt leave for greener pastures (insert fat joke) or croak from being obese, he should continue to lead the hawks to some Ws.

My fellow jhawk fan, patience is a virtue. I will also get some free money thanks to USF hahaha

JGS30, did really need 2 go that diatribe about yer game?

Most of us know the context of that game.

'Bad JBIRD Fan, NO DONUT!!!'

Aren't there blogsites 4 your team down there?

No disrespect, but I really hope u lose, if nothing more than 2 shut u guys 4 a few weeks.

I will include no clickable smile at this juncture....plz, make it stop!

JGS30, did really need 2 go that diatribe about yer game?

Most of us know the context of that game.

'Bad JBIRD Fan, NO DONUT!!!'

Aren't there blogsites 4 your team down there?

No disrespect, but I really hope u lose, if nothing more than 2 shut u guys 4 a few weeks.

I will include no clickable smile at this juncture....plz, make it stop!

All I can say is creepy. I can barely read your typing. Nor do I understand a word you wrote.

Did I mention how Vegas is handing out free money? :)

Sorry for the double post guys, my computer sometimes goes a little wacky. To my Jayhawk friend: Yes. I am being patient. I'm just annoyed by the lack of respect from the media, particularly ESPN and all of the other made up sports networks popping up on my cable. Today, one east coast guy explained that since KU has no running game, they'll lose the game because Selvie wil get into the backfield and disrupt Reesing's timing. Apparently this clown that somehow got a gig of being a sports expert hasn't watched the Jayhawks in person. Didn't these clowns learn their lesson before last year's KSU, Colorado game, or the Texas A&M game, or the OSU game, or the Virginia Tech game??? All of those games those same talking heads went against KU and look what happend. KU won all of those games. UNBELIEVABLE!

NOW the talking heads have really put in time on a new think tank and even convinced Vegas to give USF a 3.5 point advantage (Which is now at 2, because Hawk Nation is betting the farm that Vegas is wrong....including me)

My impression of the Jayhawks after their first two games is this: Great defense (no surprise there). More team speed on defense. As for the offense, the coaching staff has yet to open up the palybook. I have a feeling they're saving their best stuff for tomorrow night. Yes, Reesing has thrown for a lot of yards, but most of those passes were short passes that turned into big plays by Briscoe and Patterson. We have yet to actually throw the ball down the field.

I think the Hawks unleash the fury tomorrow night and win handedly. Take my advice and put your money on the table boys!!! FREE MONEY, curtesy of ALL OUR VEGAS FREINDS!! FREE MONEY!!

:clap

K, I'll translate: WE DON'T GIVE A 'F' ABOUT THE J-BIRDS!

Whatever, iggy time... :wtf

Spoken like a true east coaster. I mus ask, what are you doing on this board? Isn't there a Red Sox forum you should be posting on?

Ok JG, I see u r finally getting my point. I post redsox stuff on the redsox bd. and NE stuff here. Look, I realize KU has no msg. bds...so...

...so, I created the JBird thread out of the kindness of my heart so u Mangino clones can 'smack' all u want there--out of BRed FAN'S view.

So, KU's demise is only a few hrs away, u nervous?

And BTW, y does KC have the worst pro teams? Ha, we beat the Cheaps sans Brady! :cheers