CFN Prediction

Time for Collegefootballnews.com's weekly prediction:

CFN Predictions

New Mexico State (0-0) at Nebraska (2-0), 7:00 EST

Why to watch: No, New Mexico State didn’t drop its football program. Because of Hurricane Gustav, the season-opening tune-up against Nicholls State was cancelled, meaning the Aggies are coming into Lincoln cold. On the plus side, Nebraska doesn’t have any 2008 film on Chase Holbrook and the potentially high-octane attack. The Huskers will have to fight through the temptation of looking ahead to the showdown with Virginia Tech in two weeks with Missouri to follow. After battling with Western Michigan and San Jose State in games that were a bit tougher than the double-digit margins might indicate, there’s still room for improvement. If nothing else, facing the Aggie passing game will be a good warm-up for Missouri and Texas Tech, the first two Big 12 games on the slate.

Why New Mexico State might win: All the parts are back from the fifth-leading passing attack of 2007. The Aggies averaged 332 passing yards per game and have plenty of time to practice, and plenty of film time to get to know Nebraska. Even though there’s been a solid pass rush to help the cause, the Husker secondary has been awful so far allowing 342 yards to Western Michigan and 242 to San Jose State. A work in progress, the Nebraska defensive backs will have their hands full.

Why Nebraska might win: The Huskers have a pass rush. Getting into the backfield hasn’t been a problem under Bo Pelini and the new coaching staff, cranking out six sacks and 13 tackles for loss in the first two games. If the defensive front can throw off Holbrook’s timing and force him to make a few mistakes, the opportunistic Husker offense should be able to take advantage. New Mexico State doesn’t have a good enough defense to keep the Nebraska attack from cranking out fewer than 400 yards.

Who to watch: The chance is there for Holbrook to generate a major buzz. He wasn’t necessarily a disappointment last season, but he didn’t build on his tremendous 4,541-yard, 34-touchdown first season with twice as many interceptions (18 to just nine thrown in 2007), almost 800 fewer yards, and far more mistakes. He has his top target, Chris Williams, back and healthy, he has the offense down pat, and he has the green light to fun ‘n’ gun it as much as he needs to against the Huskers.

What will happen: Holbrook will throw for 400 yards and will give the Husker secondary fits, but the Nebraska offense will roll at will with a balanced attack that’ll explode in the second half.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 52 … New Mexico State 31 ... Line: Nebraska -25

Must See Rating: (5 Hole in the Wall - 1 First Blood) … 2

I get the feeling that the defense will be dominant and create turnovers, and then next week we'll be talking about how great our secondary has become. Then they'll roll over for Va Tech and Missouri. I'm not a fortune teller, but i did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night.

Seriously not trying to pestimistic, but I've seen it so many times, hope I'm wrong.

GBR

Must See Rating: (5 Hole in the Wall - 1 First Blood) … 2[/i]

I don't understand that rating system.

What is a "hole in the wall"?

Is that the best?

I don't get it

I'm guessing it's a TV show, they usually use a rating system based on tv shows.

And sadly, I think the scoreless streak we have with NMSU is going to be coming to an end. Our defense just isn't good enough to shut someone out.

Must See Rating: (5 Hole in the Wall - 1 First Blood) … 2[/i]

I don't understand that rating system.

What is a "hole in the wall"?

Is that the best?

I don't get it

The new Japanese-style game show where fat people try to jump through differently configured holes in a moving wall, but First Blood is the best Rambo movie so WTF :dunno (or did they mean True Blood?)

There was also a couple of really old movies called "Hole in the Wall".

Are you sure he didn't just write about a replay of last week and just changed the names to fit? Sure sounds familiar...maybe I need to disappear on the quad until it is all over otherwise I may have a stroke like I just about did last week.

It would be nice to think we could get a couple touchdowns ahead and run over their offensive line and not give him a chance to pass....like the old days.

Teasle: He was just another drifter who broke the law!

Trautman: Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Teasle: Now don't give me any of that crap Trautman. Do you think Rambo was the only guy who had a tough time in Vietnam? He killed a police officer for Christ's sake!

Trautman: You're gddamn lucky he didn't kill all of you.

Now THAT movie was a 5. :box