The preseason is over

1. Hey, we're 3-0 aren't we. Only the second time in five years....holy crap

2. McNeil had a very nice game. Blocking was better. If we could get him to catch 2 or 3 passes a game for about 50 or so yards, as TE you know they'll all be key receptions. He looked comfortable, made a great move on his TD reception. He didn't think on the play, he just reacted and that's a good thing. Remember, he's only a sophmore.

3. Lucky had 100 yards. That's fantastic, but when's the last time he did this against a tough defense? NMSU was soft defense. A defense that hasn't played a game this year. I'll jump on the Lucky wagon after he does this against a real opponent...say a Virgina Tech?!?!

4. 3-0 can very well be 3-3...we will be underdogs the next three games and be expected to lose them. Winning 1 out of the next 3 will be a victory in my mind.

5. Pelini is a defensive genius with X's and O's, but probably no better move by him and his staff was practicing the fundamentals. Regardless of opponent, we have shown an improvement in tackling.

6. We still can't get good, consistent pressure with just our front four, something TTech, Missouri and Kansas will exploit and shred us for. See next point...

7. Did you see the interesting stat last night during the game? Teams are eating up yards against NU...that is until they get into the red zone. Bend, but don't break?!?! Pelini is talking this approach. In other words, your not going to stop the spread, but when the field shortens, the offense stops itself. Hey, I havn't seen any other way to slow this offense. We are realy good at red zone defense. Part NU's ability, part nature of offense.

8. We have no more easy wins left...in fact, think about it: Just about every team left that we play considers NU a gimme?!!?

9. 3-0, halfway to a bowl game :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

---------------------------------------

Not playing USC has its benefits.

7. Did you see the interesting stat last night during the game? Teams are eating up yards against NU...that is until they get into the red zone. Bend, but don't break?!?! Pelini is talking this approach. In other words, your not going to stop the spread, but when the field shortens, the offense stops itself. Hey, I havn't seen any other way to slow this offense. We are realy good at red zone defense. Part NU's ability, part nature of offense.

I have noticed this as well.

8. We have no more easy wins left...in fact, think about it: Just about every team left that we play considers NU a gimme?!!!

Hopefully Baylor and Iowa State don't think of us as a gimme . . . although Baylor is looking kind of scary.

Nice post.

Nu's red-zone "D" goes into lockdown that's for sure.

As happy as I am about Lucky and the O-line I can't seem to get past the point you made, when has he done that against a solid team???

I think what we can take from our first three games is, these kids hustle, play with passion, and have been coached fundamental football and they are trying to execute it.

I was at the game and the effort and improved consistency exceeded my expectations. And there are some freshmen and sophomores that are getting some playing time and playing well already so the future is bright.

It's easy to be an armchair coach but I would have taken the 3 points before half. It was also apparent some nice adjustments were made at half to slow the NMS offense. That is one thing IMHO that has been missing since Osborne.

QB Joe G was also impressive with his ability to scramble AND deliver quality throws on the run. And I was glad that Witt got in and had the opportunity to hopefully shake his jitters moving forward if he's needed.

I also had the opportunity to watch a little bit of practice Thursday and see some of the things the team worked on. Our scouting report was solid, especially since NMS had not played a game this year and understand what their tendancies were going to be with current personnel.

I think what we can take from our first three games is, these kids hustle, play with passion, and have been coached fundamental football and they are trying to execute it.

I think in most instances this is correct. Still don't feel like the defense is flying over the field and hitting hard. Certainly an improvement over last year.

That will come. I am confident about that. :bonez

Anyone that considers NU a gimme this season is a complete idiot. The defense, while better, still has a long way to go. But the offense is going to be dangerous to almost any team. I think we're sorta like TT was a few years back, in that if you consider us a gimme, we could wind up beating you in a shootout.

However, I seriously doubt we're going to play many games where we're considered a gimme. You're way, way off on that one.

2. McNeil had a very nice game. Blocking was better. If we could get him to catch 2 or 3 passes a game for about 50 or so yards, as TE you know they'll all be key receptions. He looked comfortable, made a great move on his TD reception. He didn't think on the play, he just reacted and that's a good thing. Remember, he's only a sophmore.

3. Lucky had 100 yards. That's fantastic, but when's the last time he did this against a tough defense? NMSU was soft defense. A defense that hasn't played a game this year. I'll jump on the Lucky wagon after he does this against a real opponent...say a Virgina Tech?!?!

4. 3-0 can very well be 3-3...we will be underdogs the next three games and be expected to lose them. Winning 1 out of the next 3 will be a victory in my mind.

5. Pelini is a defensive genius with X's and O's, but probably no better move by him and his staff was practicing the fundamentals. Regardless of opponent, we have shown an improvement in tackling.

6. We still can't get good, consistent pressure with just our front four, something TTech, Missouri and Kansas will exploit and shred us for. See next point...

8. We have no more easy wins left...in fact, think about it: Just about every team left that we play considers NU a gimme?!!?

9. 3-0, halfway to a bowl game :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

---------------------------------------

everything Eric says is brutally true....sunshine pumping time is over.....4-5 from this point forward would be good.....anything better than that will take some major improvement on our play or some great breaks..like Michigan gave ND yesterday.....6 turnovers will beat just about any team we face too......

the 2 week bye will help us get ready for VT and MU......plenty of time to study film of both teams and to install whatever offense and defense we want.......that time off to prepare and practice should be huge for us.....whatever happens in the next 2 games, no one can say we didn't go in prepared....

Anyone that considers NU a gimme this season is a complete idiot. The defense, while better, still has a long way to go. But the offense is going to be dangerous to almost any team. I think we're sorta like TT was a few years back, in that if you consider us a gimme, we could wind up beating you in a shootout.

However, I seriously doubt we're going to play many games where we're considered a gimme. You're way, way off on that one.

DO you think Missouri is even giving us a serious second look? They are looking ahead to OU and a possible national championship game. We are simply an inconvience to them at this time. There offense,up to this point,is unstoppable. Plain and simple. We don't scare anyone anymore.

I agree with No. 6 to a certain extent. One of the huge factors of running the spread is to get the ball out quickly. It's going to be very difficult for any defense to get to the quarterback against teams like Mizzou, TTech, ect.

And I'm not trying to hammer NU with this point, but we're young and haven't had Pelini's coaching for very long. Give him a few years. Hell, I think next year Suh will not only be all-league, but be pushing for all-American honors. It's not that he's not good enough this year, but he doesn't have the best supporting cast. He getrs double teamed every play.

DO you think Missouri is even giving us a serious second look? They are looking ahead to OU and a possible national championship game. We are simply an inconvience to them at this time. There offense,up to this point,is unstoppable. Plain and simple. We don't scare anyone anymore.

Right...so since we don't scare Missouri (which I would agree with, though I promise you they won't overlook us), we don't scare the rest of the teams we play. So you're saying the rest of our schedule consists of teams as good as Missouri.

Are you taking drugs or something?

Iowa State could be tough, and I have no idea about Baylor. But other than that, if we don't show up to any of our remaining games we will get beat. Team needs to make sure they keep their focus.

It's not because NU is bad, it's that everyone is good. There are no easy games anymore for almost anyone. OU and USC are the only teams I see making it through pretty easily. Even OU will get challenged slightly.