What will be the implications of the VTech game?

TheKiD

Seems in this weeks polls we are ranked a few spots ahead of Virginia Tech. Last week we were supposed to be underdogs, and the week before even more so. Now we will be favored. I don't think that as far as the coaches or players are concerned it will make any difference whatsoever. However; it does change the dynamic from the standpoint of media, fans, and polls.

The problem is.. I still don't think Virginia Tech is much worse than we thought and I'm not sure we're much better than we thought. I hate polls this early in the season; however if we lose (and especially if we lose by a decent margin), what will the media and fans reaction to the coaching staff be?

Open discussion.... so discuss!

Well, we're going to be 3-0 and they're 2-1 now and probably going to be 2-2 . . . hard to say. I figured we'd be favored all along, what with their anemic offense and the fact that it's in Lincoln.

We are 3-0 against mediocre to bad competition they are 2-1, the loss coming to a team who followed up that win with a win against West Virginia. East Carolina is much much better than anyone we've played so far.. have you seen them play? So that really doesn't tell us that they are a bad team or a good team, we know they are not a great team, but neither are we.. not at this point.

#26 and up really means nothing, especially this early in the year. I do think VT will be favored by most to win this game, but honestly don't think it will matter much. If the team takes care of their business the next few weeks, there will be no question we're better when we beat the living snot out of them!

I'm not talking directly about the implications in the polls. I'm asking about the reaction from the fans and media if we were to win (close or big) or lose (close or big) and how you think that will reflect on the team and coaching staff.

we will and imo should be favored. if vtech beats us it will NOT be by much. i dont think we lose in fact i think we win big as in 14-21 points big. i said the same thing before the season and i hold to my prediction. vtechs offense is just too bad and i think that our D is better than their O and other teams have shown an ability to score on them and run ie. gtech gaing almost 300 yds on the ground yesterday.

we will and imo should be favored. if vtech beats us it will NOT be by much. i dont think we lose in fact i think we win big as in 14-21 points big. i said the same thing before the season and i hold to my prediction. vtechs offense is just too bad and i think that our D is better than their O and other teams have shown an ability to score on them and run ie. gtech gaing almost 300 yds on the ground yesterday.

Yeah they also barely lost to a team that beat West Virginia... unless West Virginia is much worse than Virginia Tech, I'm not sold. We'll see.

But again, I'm asking about how the fans and media will react to the outcome of the game.. I'm talking about expectations... and really just how patient we really are.

My guess is VaTech will be favored and should be. They have at least played a team or two. Georgia Tech was buzz word at the beginning. They lost to a very good ECU team.

My guess by 3 at our house.

Hopefully we will see what all of us are hoping for. But my guess is we will be on the ugly end. VaTech by 10.

As for the fans, if we lose, some will become very concerned about Missouri and Texas Tech. If we keep it close the kids will be fine. I doubt there could be a blow out, but we are facing a lot more talent than we have seen so far, and an excellent coach. If that happens, I am afraid the wheels come off quickly for the next two games.

If we win, we may squeak into the top 25, not because they believe we are that good, but it helps the TV ratings for the following week, two ranked teams playing. If we do lose the game, it spells almost certain defeat the next two games IMHO. 3 straight losses could really screw up the kids and the fans. All are on board now, and honestly seeing things that are not there. We have a very tough three weeks ahead of us. Keep the faith, Bo is doing it right no matter the outcome of the next three.

i think we'll be favored... because we're at home.... That East Carolina team has looked pretty damn good, but then again, look at yesterday... it just goes to prove its tough to go on the road and win... ECU won yesterday, but it wasn't convincing... realize they did play Va Tech and WVU at home... so Va Tech coming here, i think is the difference in the game.... at least in the spread....

also, we are only "ahead" of them in the coaches... the AP still has them ahead of us, by 7 'votes'.

My guess is VaTech will be favored and should be. They have at least played a team or two. Georgia Tech was buzz word at the beginning. They lost to a very good ECU team.

Hopefully we will see what all of us are hoping for. But my guess is we will be on the ugly end. VaTech by 10.

As for the fans, if we lose, some will become very concerned about Missouri and Texas Tech. If we keep it close the kids will be fine. I doubt there could be a blow out, but we are facing a lot more talent than we have seen so far, and an excellent coach. If that happens, I am afraid the wheels come off quickly for the next two games.

If we win, we may squeak into the top 25, not because they believe we are that good, but it helps the TV ratings for the following week, two ranked teams playing. If we do lose the game, it spells almost certain defeat the next two games IMHO. 3 straight losses could really screw up the kids and the fans. All are on board now, and honestly seeing things that are not there. We have a very tough three weeks ahead of us. Keep the faith, Bo is doing it right no matter the outcome of the next three.

:cheers great post!

3-3 would not be surprising, but still disappointing. if the kids play tough and we don't get blown out too badly by MU, they should come back after that. OU and KU and even CU will be tough games....the upcoming stretch will be tough, along with the closing one, but keeping it close will be important.

NU wins mostly because of the by week. We have a lot of things to correct and the coaches are doing a great job at teaching these kids how to get better every day, every week and every game.

NU at home with two weeks to prepare and an offensive line that is finally healthy. :koolaid2:

MO we loose. Wow they are good. We will see just how far we have to go to be a great team.

TTech is beatable. TTech's record against ranked teams is not good. However they do have a good home record. I'm interested to see how we bounce back after the MO game if we lose.

Yeah they also barely lost to a team that beat West Virginia... unless West Virginia is much worse than Virginia Tech, I'm not sold. We'll see.

But again, I'm asking about how the fans and media will react to the outcome of the game.. I'm talking about expectations... and really just how patient we really are.

ECU

9/13 @ Tulane 3-0 (1-0) W 28-24

not convinced

ECU

9/13 @ Tulane 3-0 (1-0) W 28-24

not convinced

Eeek! Guess I only saw they won. Man what is going on in College Football? They beat Va Tech and W. Virginia, but they struggle against Tulane (unless that score is terribly deceiving, did they have scrubs in the whole second half or something?)

I guess it really is true, one game at a time, anything can happen.