SI's Stewart Mandel writes about Nebraska's relevance

papersun87

Nothing too groundbreaking, but here is the article.

Mandel's a tool!!

He says that, but the early 2000s might as well have been the early 1900s in the minds of the 16- and 17-year-old recruits who Pelini and his staff are attempting to lure to Lincoln. Unless those recruits grew up in Nebraska, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch are little more than names in a media guide to them.

Maybe that's because kids these days get Vince Young, Beanie Wells, and a bunch of other pansies crammed down their throats!! Seriously, I think I might puke next time I hear or read about Robert Griffin from Baylor being a good QB!! He's f-ing horrible!! Yes, he has speed but big deal. Lots of players throughout history have had speed and nobody throws their names out like it's an answer in final Jeopardy!! He also has the throwing mechanics of someone imitating the mix between Sam Keller's delivery and a Jennie Finch pitch and nobody wants to discuss that!!

Yeah, I'm a major homer but Tommie was in a league of his own compared to any of the guys running the ball at QB today and nobody wants to give him props. You could watch highlights of him all day and he puts all other running QB's to shame. Speed, power, arm strength!! He had it all. I'd venture to say that if he had worked on his accuracy and didn't have any clots, we'd be watching him play on Sundays and hearing about him a lot more than as some footnote in Stewart Mandel's articles.

GBR!!!

Not sure what game you've been watching, but since I'm still at home and not at NU yet we still use our family's season tickets to Baylor football, as my whole family has graduated from BU. Griffin is the real deal and by next year will probably be labeled the 2nd best QB in the conference next to Sam Bradford and the best dual threat QB in the country. He's better than Pat White already, better than Grothe, better than Locker...I think the problem is that most fans of bigger schools can't seem to fathom that this guy slipped past them. Griffin had a scholarship offer to NU, too. He was a strong Christian and had formed a bond with Coach Briles, so he chose to head to Waco.

Mandel's a tool!!

He says that, but the early 2000s might as well have been the early 1900s in the minds of the 16- and 17-year-old recruits who Pelini and his staff are attempting to lure to Lincoln. Unless those recruits grew up in Nebraska, Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch are little more than names in a media guide to them.

Maybe that's because kids these days get Vince Young, Beanie Wells, and a bunch of other pansies crammed down their throats!! Seriously, I think I might puke next time I hear or read about Robert Griffin from Baylor being a good QB!! He's f-ing horrible!! Yes, he has speed but big deal. Lots of players throughout history have had speed and nobody throws their names out like it's an answer in final Jeopardy!! He also has the throwing mechanics of someone imitating the mix between Sam Keller's delivery and a Jennie Finch pitch and nobody wants to discuss that!!

Yeah, I'm a major homer but Tommie was in a league of his own compared to any of the guys running the ball at QB today and nobody wants to give him props. You could watch highlights of him all day and he puts all other running QB's to shame. Speed, power, arm strength!! He had it all. I'd venture to say that if he had worked on his accuracy and didn't have any clots, we'd be watching him play on Sundays and hearing about him a lot more than as some footnote in Stewart Mandel's articles.

GBR!!!

Not sure what game you've been watching, but since I'm still at home and not at NU yet we still use our family's season tickets to Baylor football, as my whole family has graduated from BU. Griffin is the real deal and by next year will probably be labeled the 2nd best QB in the conference next to Sam Bradford and the best dual threat QB in the country. He's better than Pat White already, better than Grothe, better than Locker...I think the problem is that most fans of bigger schools can't seem to fathom that this guy slipped past them. Griffin had a scholarship offer to NU, too. He was a strong Christian and had formed a bond with Coach Briles, so he chose to head to Waco.

Pat White now???? Give me a break!!!! I watched the game the other week and wasn't that impressed....he did make some good plays, but he does seem a little overhyped. If he continues to get good coaching he might pan out, but that is no guarantee at BU. Also, putting him in the same bracket at Sam Bradford is a stretch!

I watched BU's last game, Griffin did a fair job against UCON, but lost. I did a quick check on the BU website to check his stats, went to the official web site of the Bears, on the sport by sport page football is seventh.... just behind womens equestrian.

The Bears have a good coach, one who is capable of making them competitive, but to do so they need to make football a priority. I personally hope they do.

Mandel's a tool!!

GBR!!!

Pat White now???? Give me a break!!!! I watched the game the other week and wasn't that impressed....he did make some good plays, but he does seem a little overhyped. If he continues to get good coaching he might pan out, but that is no guarantee at BU. Also, putting him in the same bracket at Sam Bradford is a stretch!

"Top to bottom, running back to receiver to offensive guard, that team had some serious speed. I would compare them with the only other team I've seen demonstrate this kind of athleticism...that's right...our beloved toothless friends from the south, West Virginia University. And while Griffin (their QB) didn't have "Gold Frontz" (you alone hold that honor, Noel Divine), he did have some serious speed.

Want to know just how serious his talent is? The kid won the NCAAs when he should have been in the end of his senior year of high school. He graduated in the fall and entered Baylor in the spring. Still not convinced? Why don't you check out the play where I had him cornered in the pocket, already cutting the tape for my highlight reel, and he made me (a slow, fat, white guy) look like...well...a slow, fat, white guy. He was gone in a flash and rolling out. I chased in vain. He was good."

That's from Rob Lunn's blog. He's a d-lineman at UConn. They play WVU every year.

Mandel's a tool!!

GBR!!!

You my friend are crazy!!! He couldn't hold Tyrod Taylor's jock, which isn't saying much, let alone Pat White's, Grothe, Locker or Bradford. Yes, I'll give you the fact that he does make a few plays with his legs but from the 3 games I've seen him play Washington State, UCONN, and Wake; I haven't been impressed. A few plays a game using your legs doesn't constitute mention as a dual threat QB. Hell, nearly 75% of the yards he has gained rushing this year came when he ran for 217 against WSU, and to be perfectly honest with you, they play more like a high school team on defense than a D-I team. Against his other 3 opponents he ran for 46, 42, and 29 yards while passing for 125, 294, 129, and 208 yards respectively. Hardly numbers consistent or anywhere near what I would call the 2nd Best QB in the Big 12.

Oh, and by the way can you let me know who you think is going to label him the 2nd best QB in the Big 12, so I can slap the sh@t out of him. Hopefully if he improves like you say he will, he might be around 10th or 11th best QB in the Big 12. Coming in ahead of only Josh Freeman of course, HA HA!!

"People used to fear coming in to play us, not because we were so physically gifted, but because they knew it was going to be four quarters where we never stop coming, and that's intimidating. That's what we need to get back to." - Trev ALberts.

Read those words again, slowly if you must. I've been a Husker fan since I married a Lincoln girl (I'm from Virginia) and I STILL remember, even before we married, the type of football Nebraska has always prided itself on. I mean, let's be realistic here...Nebraska has had it's offensive marvels: Tommie Frazier, Mike Rozier, Eric Crouch, Johnnie Rogers to name a few (and before anyone jumps up my arse and reminds me there are thousands of other former Nebraska players who were great on offense, please remember NU games were not shown on TV in my small east coast town. I'm speaking from current memory here). But how many of those offensive guys went on to great NFL careers? On the other hand, look at players such as Grant Wistrom or Carlos Polk who played in the NFL and made their physical presence well known. But what I remember the most about NU football BEFORE I became a real Husker fan is the defense it played and how that defense, all eleven players, were simply maniacs dressed in football uniforms. As a high school football defensive backs coach in Kentucky, I showed Nebraska highlight films to my players to prove how determination and dedication can win over size, speed, and hype nine out of ten times. What Trev Alberts is saying is the same thing Doctor Tom said last year just moments before he announced Bo Pelinni's hiring, and that was that in the past when Nebraska played ANYONE, the opposing players hurt for weeks afterward and every bruise and bump they carried with them from Lincoln or from their own stadiums after playing Nebraska was a physical reminder that there would be more of the same thing the next time they played Big Red, and the time after that, and the time after that and so on and so on. Give Bo a chance, as I know the people of Nebraska are doing, to do two things: First, give him the time to build an all-Bo recruited team in Lincoln and see what happens then. Bo is a defensive genius as evidenced by LSU's crushing of Ohio State last year. Does anyone really think LSU won the national championship only because Les Miles was the head honcho? No, it was defense that killed OSU and that defense was led by Bo. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've discussed Nebraska football with ANYONE and the discussion DID NOT end on the topic of Nebraska's always-famous defense. Secondly, watch what happens when every player finally buys into what Bo and his staff are selling. There are still some of Callahan's recruits on the team and it goes without saying that their young minds may still be in the Callahan "Who cares about tradition?" mode. Give Bo three years and see then where NU is ranked. Possibly, the team may be ranked again this year, at least somewhere in the top 25. And isn't that a start, a beginning of what the state wants? Look at Florida State: They're back, or at least are coming back after a few years at the bottom. So I agree with Trev ALberts: defense is what NU needs to get back to and when they do, when the Black Shirts are feared again as they once were, then may the lord of football have mercy on anyone who gets in their way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

"People used to fear coming in to play us, not because we were so physically gifted, but because they knew it was going to be four quarters where we never stop coming, and that's intimidating. That's what we need to get back to." - Trev ALberts.

Read those words again, slowly if you must. I've been a Husker fan since I married a Lincoln girl (I'm from Virginia) and I STILL remember, even before we married, the type of football Nebraska has always prided itself on. I mean, let's be realistic here...Nebraska has had it's offensive marvels: Tommie Frazier, Mike Rozier, Eric Crouch, Johnnie Rogers to name a few (and before anyone jumps up my arse and reminds me there are thousands of other former Nebraska players who were great on offense, please remember NU games were not shown on TV in my small east coast town. I'm speaking from current memory here). But how many of those offensive guys went on to great NFL careers? On the other hand, look at players such as Grant Wistrom or Carlos Polk who played in the NFL and made their physical presence well known. But what I remember the most about NU football BEFORE I became a real Husker fan is the defense it played and how that defense, all eleven players, were simply maniacs dressed in football uniforms. As a high school football defensive backs coach in Kentucky, I showed Nebraska highlight films to my players to prove how determination and dedication can win over size, speed, and hype nine out of ten times. What Trev Alberts is saying is the same thing Doctor Tom said last year just moments before he announced Bo Pelinni's hiring, and that was that in the past when Nebraska played ANYONE, the opposing players hurt for weeks afterward and every bruise and bump they carried with them from Lincoln or from their own stadiums after playing Nebraska was a physical reminder that there would be more of the same thing the next time they played Big Red, and the time after that, and the time after that and so on and so on. Give Bo a chance, as I know the people of Nebraska are doing, to do two things: First, give him the time to build an all-Bo recruited team in Lincoln and see what happens then. Bo is a defensive genius as evidenced by LSU's crushing of Ohio State last year. Does anyone really think LSU won the national championship only because Les Miles was the head honcho? No, it was defense that killed OSU and that defense was led by Bo. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've discussed Nebraska football with ANYONE and the discussion DID NOT end on the topic of Nebraska's always-famous defense. Secondly, watch what happens when every player finally buys into what Bo and his staff are selling. There are still some of Callahan's recruits on the team and it goes without saying that their young minds may still be in the Callahan "Who cares about tradition?" mode. Give Bo three years and see then where NU is ranked. Possibly, the team may be ranked again this year, at least somewhere in the top 25. And isn't that a start, a beginning of what the state wants? Look at Florida State: They're back, or at least are coming back after a few years at the bottom. So I agree with Trev ALberts: defense is what NU needs to get back to and when they do, when the Black Shirts are feared again as they once were, then may the lord of football have mercy on anyone who gets in their way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:yeah

Most people out side of Nebraska, except the teams that played the Huskers, only thought of the team as a explosive offensive school. Which they were. That had to do a lot with having the ball in there hands so often and great field position, thanks to the defense. Short field, quick striking, or clock killing drives if needed. The best game that I can think of , was the away game at Washington. Both rated in the top ten, and Wash picked to win. Great defense and a clock killing drives. Washington never had a chance in that game. That's what Husker football always looked like.

Bo has the expertise to be able to build that type of defense, to set the offense up for shorter drives or play a time of position keep away if needed. Fear and Blackshirts will soon be thought of in the same sentence again.

GBR!!!

........Nearly every traditional powerhouse -- from USC to Alabama to Oklahoma to Texas -- has gone through a down period in recent history, and nearly all returned to national prominence. With a strong brand name and the right coach, it's almost bound to happen.

With Nebraska, however, there are no such guarantees.

What is this guy's deal? No garauntee? Of Course there is no garauntee, but Nebraska has just as good a shot to make a great comeback as any school....sure the coaches can't really sell the landscape....the weather...but they can sell the tradition, and the Fans...both of which are equal if not better than USC, oklahoma, or ALABAMA!

Unless you are a fan of USC, oklahoma, or ALABAMA!

They probably wouldn't agree.

They think they have the best tradition and fan base.

Fans are like that.

GO BO!!

BEAT VT!!

It's not news that NE has always been at a relative disadvantage w recruiting, but we'll ALWAYS get excellent players. Beyond that, it's coaching and we have BO and he's the right guy for the job.

Fear not, GBR fan, the Huskers are going to be just fine.. :restore

I watched BU's last game, Griffin did a fair job against UCON, but lost. I did a quick check on the BU website to check his stats, went to the official web site of the Bears, on the sport by sport page football is seventh.... just behind womens equestrian.

Possibly because F directly follows E in the alphabet? Just a thought...

Mandel's a tool!!

GBR!!!

You my friend are crazy!!! He couldn't hold Tyrod Taylor's jock, which isn't saying much, let alone Pat White's, Grothe, Locker or Bradford. Yes, I'll give you the fact that he does make a few plays with his legs but from the 3 games I've seen him play Washington State, UCONN, and Wake; I haven't been impressed. A few plays a game using your legs doesn't constitute mention as a dual threat QB. Hell, nearly 75% of the yards he has gained rushing this year came when he ran for 217 against WSU, and to be perfectly honest with you, they play more like a high school team on defense than a D-I team. Against his other 3 opponents he ran for 46, 42, and 29 yards while passing for 125, 294, 129, and 208 yards respectively. Hardly numbers consistent or anywhere near what I would call the 2nd Best QB in the Big 12.

Oh, and by the way can you let me know who you think is going to label him the 2nd best QB in the Big 12, so I can slap the sh@t out of him. Hopefully if he improves like you say he will, he might be around 10th or 11th best QB in the Big 12. Coming in ahead of only Josh Freeman of course, HA HA!!

Feel free to slap the whole game day crew on FSN (they called him a Heisman contender), Tommy Bowden, Jim Grobe ("I really don't want to play them next year"), Randy Edsall ("I really don't want to play him next year"), and virtually every broadcaster who's mentioned Baylor. Get a clue, guy. Just because he doesn't play for NU doesn't mean he's not good. He's an elite QB in this conference and he's a freshman. You failed to mention that he's yet to throw a pick against 2 of the best defenses in the country in Wake and UConn. Seriously...some people are so uninformed. Just stick to NU football...Don't be involved in any other form of college football. You're clueless.

Possibly because F directly follows E in the alphabet? Just a thought...

LOL, I know, I was being a wise asss

Mandel's a tool!!

GBR!!!

Feel free to slap the whole game day crew on FSN (they called him a Heisman contender), Tommy Bowden, Jim Grobe ("I really don't want to play them next year"), Randy Edsall ("I really don't want to play him next year"), and virtually every broadcaster who's mentioned Baylor. Get a clue, guy. Just because he doesn't play for NU doesn't mean he's not good. He's an elite QB in this conference and he's a freshman. You failed to mention that he's yet to throw a pick against 2 of the best defenses in the country in Wake and UConn. Seriously...some people are so uninformed. Just stick to NU football...Don't be involved in any other form of college football. You're clueless.

Uninformed!! I watch nearly every college football game that is shown on TV, along with a few I manage to catch live. If that isn't intune with college football I don't know what is!! Just because I can watch the games with my own two eyes, not relying on insight from a bunch of washed up broadcasters (who will say just about anything for ratings), and decide for myself who I think is elite/good and who isn't, doesn't mean I'm misinformed!! You could tune into just about any broadcasted game and I guarantee you one or all of the announcers will jump on the bandwagon of one of the players and annoint him Heisman "worthy", doesn't mean he is!! It's called ratings, and obviously they found a sucker in you!! Maybe you need to skip the same 3 highlight reels they keep running on ESPN, mute the announcers and watch an entire game for once. Griffin is average at best!! Hell, I might even rank Freeman above him!! I stand by my words, "Griffin is overrated!!"