Two biggest liabilities on D

huzkerbob

simply put (and it should come as no surprise)......we don't have any DB's.....none of these guys could start on any other Big 12 team.

I doubt that is true. and some of this is due to experience. I think west, prince, sullivan, dennard(and blue when healthy) could all have a shot at becoming a good CB. they are certainly athletic enough. I am stunned at how bad our safties are.... we have had such a good history at that position. hopefully PJ smith and people form this up coming class can help

Asante is the worst starting defensive player that I can ever remember at NU. Murillo isn't great either. He makes the occasional play, but whiffs on tackles and lets guys go by him. I really don't remember much of Wortman from last night. O'Hanlon is up and down.

Wow, we need help.

You don't remember too far back then. Ever heard of Pat Ricketts? Corey McKeon? He is bad, but not that bad.

Also, when you are running a cover 2, like we do, the safeties have deep responsibilities. The reason stated above was 100% accurate. Armando Murillo is a good CB, he covers his area pretty well. It looked to me that the guys were told to follow Taylor on his scrambles as a CB b/c they felt that was more dangerous than his arm. From the amount of open receivers running past the Safeties that he missed, I can see why. Asante and O'Hanlon are terrible. That long pass to the TE that went for 40 yds was all O'Hanlon's fault. He is not a Big 12 caliber defender. Asante should be playing LB, he is a run stopper first. The only problem is he has become an arm tackler. I thought he was supposed to be a big hitter when he was recruited? Oh well, Thenarse and Culbert seem to have potential and Eric Hagg has looked very good when he has been in the nickel. I would like to see a nickel hybrid defense as our base, with Thenarse, Culbert, Murillo, West/Hagg and Asante as a LB/nickel back. LB would be Dillard, Glenn along with our DL we have now.

By the way, I am very pleased with Pierre Allen's play. Am I the only one that has noticed?

really aside for the penalties from suh I have been please with the whole line. esp considering the lack of depth

Asante is the worst starting defensive player that I can ever remember at NU. Murillo isn't great either. He makes the occasional play, but whiffs on tackles and lets guys go by him. I really don't remember much of Wortman from last night. O'Hanlon is up and down.

Wow, we need help.

You don't remember too far back then. Ever heard of Pat Ricketts? Corey McKeon? He is bad, but not that bad.

Also, when you are running a cover 2, like we do, the safeties have deep responsibilities. The reason stated above was 100% accurate. Armando Murillo is a good CB, he covers his area pretty well. It looked to me that the guys were told to follow Taylor on his scrambles as a CB b/c they felt that was more dangerous than his arm. From the amount of open receivers running past the Safeties that he missed, I can see why. Asante and O'Hanlon are terrible. That long pass to the TE that went for 40 yds was all O'Hanlon's fault. He is not a Big 12 caliber defender. Asante should be playing LB, he is a run stopper first. The only problem is he has become an arm tackler. I thought he was supposed to be a big hitter when he was recruited? Oh well, Thenarse and Culbert seem to have potential and Eric Hagg has looked very good when he has been in the nickel. I would like to see a nickel hybrid defense as our base, with Thenarse, Culbert, Murillo, West/Hagg and Asante as a LB/nickel back. LB would be Dillard, Glenn along with our DL we have now.

By the way, I am very pleased with Pierre Allen's play. Am I the only one that has noticed?

really aside for the penalties from suh I have been please with the whole line. esp considering the lack of depth

I agree, I think it should be a case study on the difference coaching makes on a player.